Guppy pine coning and bent spine

IMG_4190.jpeg.a9d122f04a14f7ef244eca281c40d40b.jpegIMG_4193.jpeg.bef02abdcd9bbbe619835fdb88421594.jpegIMG_4192.jpeg.86aa3da83da3b8cedba9f5bf542ad0bc.jpegIMG_4191.jpeg.b27420c80361af5af33bcb957c3a2676.jpeg

I recently removed 4 adult guppies from my 55 community after reading that too many tannins were bad for them this make is pine coming and swimming weird after the move but the female had the bent spine before.

Current tank

ammonia 0.25 ppm will be doing water change tomorrow as I don’t have time today

nitrite 0

nitrate 50 ppm

Gh 0

kh 40

ph 6.8-7.2 (I’m not good at reading ph)

temperature 80 Fahrenheit 

the tank they came from

ammonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 0

gh 0

kh 80

Ph between 7.6 and 8

temp 80 Fahrenheit 

high in tannins 

if you need more info please let me know.

also should I remove the guppy fry from the 55 with the tannins? They were born in that tank so I’m not sure if that makes a difference.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2024 at 1:16 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

How old is the guppie. Does it eat normally? Is it active? I would remove fry imo. @Colu should be able to help more tho on treatment. @Mississippi fish guy.

All four are less than a year old. The two that have issues are fry from the original ones I bought. It was active yesterday and sort of was early I’m not home so I can’t give its current status. It ate last time I fed i have fed them consistently since I think I was feeding too much and that both females are pregnant. I will feed tonight and see if it eats. It seems to also have an issue with its upper lip

Bent spines are really common in guppies it usually genetic caused by scoliosis pineconing can be caused by fluid buildup in the body cavity caused by organ failure internal bacterial infections parasitic infections how long have you had the guppies your GH is way to low  for guppies that can stress them leaving them susceptible to secondary infections your KH should be 120-180ppm for guppies what i would do is add some crushed coral to raise your KH and GH you would want to add one pound of crushed coral per 10 gallons add to the substrate or in a media bag in the filter @Mississippi fish guy

• Like 1

On 8/6/2024 at 2:19 PM, Colu said:

Bent spines are really common in guppies it usually genetic caused by scoliosis pineconing can be caused by fluid buildup in the body cavity caused by organ failure internal bacterial infections parasitic infections how long have you had the guppies your GH is way to low  for guppies that can stress them leaving them susceptible to secondary infections your KH should be 120-180ppm for guppies what i would do is add some crushed coral to raise your KH and GH you would want to add one pound of crushed coral per 10 gallons add to the substrate or in a media bag in the filter @Mississippi fish guy

I have had the guppies since may or April.

I will get the crushed coral for the tank they are in soon as I can. Thanks for the help.

• Like 1