So, I really want to try a saltwater aquarium but I'm a beginner

EnvyDontKnow

Hello, I am interested in starting a new reef tank but only have had experience in freshwater. I want to keep at the very least arrow crabs, harlequin shrimp, snails, yellow canary gobies, starry gobbies, a hawkish, and an emerald crab. I also want to keep Orange Razzle frogspawn and orange bubble-tip anemones. I would like suggestions on a build that can utilize all of or some of the animals and corals listed above and any other tips and recommendations are very welcome. Thank you!

I would hold off on the harlequins as they're obligate starfish predators, and I'm almost certain a hawkfish would eat them immediately, depending on the species.  But other than that saltwater isn't much different from fresh.  That said, it is more difficult with a narrower range of acceptable parameters and a greater number of variables to balance.  Crabs, snails, gobies, and large polyp stony corals like frogspawn are good beginner choices (soft corals and zoanthids are even better).

I second checking out some saltwater forums, research until your eyes and brain bleed, and then go SLOW.

Good luck, you can definitely do it.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2024 at 7:29 PM, Woowala said:

I would hold off on the harlequins as they're obligate starfish predators, and I'm almost certain a hawkfish would eat them immediately, depending on the species.  But other than that saltwater isn't much different from fresh.  That said, it is more difficult with a narrower range of acceptable parameters and a greater number of variables to balance.  Crabs, snails, gobies, and large polyp stony corals like frogspawn are good beginner choices (soft corals and zoanthids are even better).

I second checking out some saltwater forums, research until your eyes and brain bleed, and then go SLOW.

Good luck, you can definitely do it.

Longnose? I was specifically thinking that one I'm particular. I didn't think its mouth was big enough to eat a shrimp lol.

I personally wouldn't risk it. It might be fine for a while until one day it isn't.  

I would get some experience with saltwater first, then down the road set up a dedicated tank just for the harlies.  They are so ridiculously cool and more than justify having their own tank imo. 

• Like 2

Everyone I know that has a harlequin shrimp has a second tank with chocolate chip starfish that are used as food for the shrimp.  Having both fresh and saltwater tanks myself I would agree with the advice already given.  Do your research.  Plan out if you have a local store you can buy saltwater from or if you have a R/O system and can make your own saltwater at home.  Also do your research on best tank and equipment.  Buying cheap and upgrading later is more expensive than just buying the right equipment the first time.  I had an arrow crab in my reef tank until he started eating my corals.  It can be an expensive lesson when you don't do your research and impulse buy.  

Good luck!

• Like 2