Help to ID this hitchhiker - Solved

AdamS

I am not sure what this is. It looks to have a tail, a black head that is always down, moves by flipping around like a helicopter, and I found close to 100 of them in the aquarium today. Anyone know what this is and how to deal with them?

IMG_5414-ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter.gif

Edited by AdamS

How in the world did they get into my aquarium?  I wonder if the other aquariums would have them in there too except for the fish in there. This is a dedicated shrimp tank so there isn’t anything to eat them. I will move some bachelor guppies into the aquarium to take care of them. I’m glad it was something beneficial and not harmful.  

Thank you @DansFish, @nabokovfan87and @GoofyGarra for jumping in right away on this one. 

• Like 1

The guppies made short work out of the mosquito larva, I no longer see any in the aquarium. I’m going to leave the guppies in the tank until this evening just to make sure. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/5/2024 at 5:39 PM, AdamS said:

I understand the process that lead to the mosquito larva getting in the aquarium, I was more referring to the odds of it happening. 

Check humidity in the room, the more humid... you might have issues with mold + bugs, but beyond that I thing it's purely tied to time of year and how open the house+tank are.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2024 at 3:41 PM, AdamS said:

The guppies made short work out of the mosquito larva, I no longer see any in the aquarium. I’m going to leave the guppies in the tank until this evening just to make sure. 

Makes sense! Guppies are closely related to mosquitofish. Enjoy the free live food! 😁

• Like 1