New HOB filter

I was contemplating replacing my current Marineland HOB with a canister filter for my 40 breeder community tank, but decided to go with a Tidal 55. The tank has been running for about 5 years, 3 of those with live plants. If I take the filter media that's in the current filter and place it in the Tidal, should that be enough to avoid a crash? The tank is heavily planted with a couple decorations. The fish fast on Sundays and Wednesdays, and Nitrates are usually around 20-30 ppm before water changes (20%, bi-weekly). I dose easy green weekly. I've actually added several Ambulia stems since this pic was taken. 40scape7_24.jpg.17101d21395e90e85e0ddf1184405b8e.jpg

• Like 1

It should be. Those Marinelands have the biowheel correct? If so I’d take the media place in the Tidal and the biowheels place them in the tank. If you wanted to double up you could dump some Fritzyme 7 or equivalent in. You might get a little bloom hazy water but it’s temporary. Beautiful tank! I love a good Nature style aquarium! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/2/2024 at 5:23 PM, Pepere said:

Have you read some of the threads on this forum about Seachem Tidal filters?

It is not a filter I would ever recommend to anyone.

I agree 100% they bypass way to soon they are more of a water mover than a filter. I still use mine to break the surface. I just use floss only to cover the top so water has to go through it then change it when the flow slows down. I don't even turn it off. My 407 does the filtering The tidal is good for clearing the water up after a water change and gravel vac. Might as well use it for something just not a complete filter system.