Canister filters

I'm looking to switch from a HOB to a canister filter for my 40 breeder community tank. It's hard to find objective reviews because it seems there's a lot of brand loyalty and sponsorships on YT. Can someone recommend one or two that are reliable and won't cost an arm and a leg? 

I used the Penn Plax Cascade canister filters and they were fine for me. They're typically on the lower end of the price scale. I used two and neither one had any issues during the years I used them. I bought them in 2017, and both were still going strong when I shut them down in 2022. No real issues with them other than the hoses needed cleaning. All kinds of gunk (likely bacteria) built up in the hoses and needed brushing out or the water flow would slow.

• Thanks 1

I have been pleased with my Fluval 07 series canister filters.  I have no complaints… But I havent used any other canister filters to compare it to.

Sun Sun canister filters of equivalent flow are about half the cost.  I have read of some rumblings of inferior plastic components that fail over time, but I have no personal experience about that…

• Thanks 2

On 8/1/2024 at 9:12 AM, gardenman said:

I used the Penn Plax Cascade canister filters and they were fine for me. They're typically on the lower end of the price scale. I used two and neither one had any issues during the years I used them. I bought them in 2017, and both were still going strong when I shut them down in 2022. No real issues with them other than the hoses needed cleaning. All kinds of gunk (likely bacteria) built up in the hoses and needed brushing out or the water flow would slow.

How often did you need to clean them?

On 8/1/2024 at 11:40 AM, Scaperoot said:

Not knowing the answer to the penn plax hose question, but preservation of flow velocity is an argument that fluval makes for their ribbed hose.  Ie that flow does not diminish much between cleanings. Also that they take bends over the tank wall without kinking and inhibiting flow better than smooth wall hose.

I take off my hoses and run a brush through them quarterly as well as spray bar.  The glass Lily intake and skimmer I clean monthly.

• Thanks 1

On 8/1/2024 at 11:40 AM, Scaperoot said:

It depends. Anytime you see the flow decreasing you can give them a cleaning. You can get long flexible brushes made for the job.

1 vote for the Amosijoy 3 stage with built in UV. Not a big name but all 3 have run flawlessly for over a year. Just chuck the cheap ceramic rings and bioballs - use 30ppi foam. 

$130CDN on Amazon 

Even the rando-named ones from Amazon will do well if you're not trying to break the bank. Just make sure you're buying one a step 'bigger' than you need if you do, as the ratings are usually overinflated. Fluval ones are more expensive, but have great warranties if purchased locally.

So far had good luck with SunSun and Amsjoy ones. Both operating for over a year and no problems, original UV lights are still running too. My Fluval is running my 210 for almost 2 with the only problem being the initial installation.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2024 at 5:19 AM, Scaperoot said:

Can someone recommend one or two that are reliable and won't cost an arm and a leg? 

I have the fluval 407.  In terms of "power" it's about the highest you can honestly get.  It's meant for a 40breeder or a 55G tank.  It is not strong enough at all for the tank I have.  I have to use secondary pumps to improve circulation and provide aeration.  All of that being said, I would never recommend this canister to anyone given my experience with it at this point.  I wish I could swap it with a different one.  In terms of layout, eheim classic works for a lot of people.  In terms of similar to the 407, but "better" design I would look at the UNS canister filters.  They are the exact same price.

With all of that being said, if your goal is affordability, I would recommend going the route of a tote/sump setup over a canister filter. You can even make one out of an old aquarium if you wish or get one on sale and buy a kit where you just silicone in some dividers and then purchase your pump.  This gives you all the benefits of a very strong filtration setup without the design quirks and power limitations of a pre-designed canister. I would argue as well that it is massively easier to maintain a sump than it is a canister.  SETUP on a sump is more difficult, but maintenance of the system is much easier if you can get past the first hurdle.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2024 at 12:27 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

All of that being said, I would never recommend this canister to anyone given my experience with it at this point.  I wish I could swap it with a different one.

Okay… Thank you! You may have saved me some issues. I have a new 45g to get a filter for 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2024 at 12:27 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

All of that being said, I would never recommend this canister to anyone given my experience with it at this point.  I wish I could swap it with a different one.

For another voice though, I have 2, 207s on 29 gallon tanks and a 107 on a 20 high.

all three have performed flawlessly for me.  I have no complaints.

I have read the review you did and the issue you bring up with possibility of bypass between the blue egg crate sponges and the white sponges on the other side.  Practically speaking I have to say I think it is functionally a non issue. In the year I have owned these I have pulled all sorts of leaves and plant debris off of the blue sponges during cleaning them out.  I have never seen any leaves or plant debris anywhere else in the filter.  As a practical matter the flow works going through the filter.

The issues you bring up with the 75 gallon and the brace at the top though is enough to make me think a different filter would be a better choice on a 75  added to that the 407 is rated for up to a 75 and probably is in terms of biofiltration capacity, but I think the flow requirements would call for either 2 of them or a bigger filter with more flow…

Personally I am happy with the Fluval 07 series having lived with 3 of them for over a year.  As with any canister filter, read what the flow is though the filter with media installed and size on your own according to flow requirements and dont just take the filter manufacturers word for what size tank it is big enough for,,,

• Like 1

On 8/3/2024 at 9:26 AM, Pepere said:

I have read the review you did and the issue you bring up with possibility of bypass between the blue egg crate sponges and the white sponges on the other side.  Practically speaking I have to say I think it is functionally a non issue.

The issue is the lid design, tray layout, and the sponge "cartridge" all together.  It bypasses into the top tray constantly for me and dumps dirt and debris directly from the intake (tank side) into the ouput side without filtration.  This trashes the media as well as my in-line CO2 diffuser constantly.  The default media layout on this filter isn't great at all, but there's a clear reason why the vast majority of canister filters don't have a split tray design and optimally use a bottom to top circulation method.  Even fluval's FX series of canisters make a joke of canister filter design with their tray layout and having the sponge sideways because it's "fun" and non-optimal.

image.jpeg.7f79e24efae7cb15800f79a7c00a1a6b.jpeg

water in the bottom, through the media, to the output.  VERY SIMPLE and you have proper mechanical filtration.

I understand many people use these and don't have issues with them.  I have a lot of issues because it's a basic design flaw that they seriously need to address.

image.jpeg.2b0e39b8994c1ff7eb84e7296eba97f0.jpeg

I love my BioMaster. It's super quiet, well built, has a handle, and if you clean the pre-filter every week or so you don't have to open the entire thing up much to clean it. It also comes with a spray bar, and you can get a heater with it too so it stays out of the tank. I also have a Sicce Whale - which I wish was a BioMaster 🙃

• Like 1