Something in fish gills

Thien

I just bought this betta fish about 1 week ago I saw this on the left side of it face and I don’t know if this is just his beard or some type of fungo infection or parasite and is only on the left side I tried to use aquarium salt for 5 days and it did not go away can someone please help me identify what this is

FullSizeRender.jpeg

It's difficult to say what causing the Gill to stay open it could be an injury Gill hyperplasia genetic deformities parasitic infection can you post more pictures from different angels any rapid breathing hanging out near the surface loss of appetite lethargy flashing spitting food out sunken belly white stringy poop what exactly are your water parameters ammonia nitrite nitrate pH KH GH temperature @Thien

• Like 2

He’s like a normal betta he’s active there seem to be nothing wrong with him he just sleep a lot the only thing weird about him is his gills and there no white string poop and he eats his food without spitting it out and he has no rapid breathing either and he has not lost appetite he still very energetic when he see food @Colu

IMG_0679.jpeg

IMG_0678.jpeg

No there no unusual behavior that I can see except for him sleeping a lot @JE47

I also give more detailed on it in my newest disease forum upload @Colu

• Like 1

Most likely cause is gill hyperplasia that can be caused by an injury to the Gill's chronic exposure to high levels of ammonia nitrite or  heavy metals if you don't use a dechlorinator some types of bacteria and protozoan parasite can also cause the symptoms your seeing what I would do is add some live plants dwarf water lettuce red root floaters Elodea  and add some Indian almond  leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties you  might have to add one leaf per gallon to get a beneficial effect and monitor for 7 days if after a week there's not change then I would consider treating with paracleanse just in case there a parasitic infection going on that's cause the Gill issue @Thien

• Like 1

On 7/29/2024 at 1:01 AM, Thien said:

So what should I do after I do all that and the blue thing in the betta fish gill is still there? @Colu

And also I though aquarium salt should of kill any parasites at 1 tsp per gallon @Colu

Aquarium salt will treat parasite such as lch and epistylis at a higher concentration some species of parasite  will not be killed by aquarium salt such as nematode worms tape worms higher level of aquarium salt  will hinder flukes you would need to follow up with praziquantel if it's still there after a couple of weeks it's more than likely permanent damage to the Gill caused by one of the things I already mentioned 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1