911 please help. Platy will recover? stuck in a hole

Firestonepines

We discovered a fav male platy stuck in a hole of the shrimp hide yesterday. When I helped free him, I saw the damage to his fins on either side. One is gone, just stringy remains. The other is partially gone. There was a large white ‘raw’ spot on top and underneath, his belly was missing fins, and it looked like blood under the surface. He swam at the top of his male tank then went to the bottom. Last night I moved him here, in the female tank. This morning he developed this white fluff on top and underneath. At first I thought, fungus but I have never seen it grow this fast. He’s not eating. Is he healing? Or dying.. How can I make him more comfortable? I have all the meds and water treatments.

thank you for your time and sound advice 

IMG_1381.jpeg.f808af36dc693a0472177da90dd609c6.jpegIMG_1384.jpeg.074e8572533d295287cf9967eca326ee.jpeg

P.S. what was the right thing to do? It’s regrettable that I caused damage in the rescue. Can you explain in detail the best way to free a (terrified) stuck fish?IMG_1391.jpeg.4b8f30728dd477159debd82c7e44e302.jpeg

IMG_1383.jpeg

Edited by Firestonepines
Another question
  • Sad 1

On 7/20/2024 at 3:49 PM, Firestonepines said:

We discovered a fav male platy stuck in a hole of the shrimp hide yesterday. When I helped free him, I saw the damage to his fins on either side. One is gone, just stringy remains. The other is partially gone. There was a large white ‘raw’ spot on top and underneath, his belly was missing fins, and it looked like blood under the surface. He swam at the top of his male tank then went to the bottom. Last night I moved him here, in the female tank. This morning he developed this white fluff on top and underneath. At first I thought, fungus but I have never seen it grow this fast. He’s not eating. Is he healing? Or dying.. How can I make him more comfortable? I have all the meds and water treatments.

thank you for your time and sound advice 

IMG_1381.jpeg.f808af36dc693a0472177da90dd609c6.jpegIMG_1384.jpeg.074e8572533d295287cf9967eca326ee.jpeg

P.S. what was the right thing to do? It’s regrettable that I caused damage in the rescue. Can you explain in detail the best way to free a (terrified) stuck fish?IMG_1391.jpeg.4b8f30728dd477159debd82c7e44e302.jpeg

IMG_1383.jpeg

I suggest separate and treat with a med for fungus or salt asap.

On 7/20/2024 at 6:14 PM, Tlindsey said:

I suggest separate and treat with a med for fungus or salt asap.

Also keep water in pristine condition while platy is being treated. 

• Like 1

That looks like saprolegniasis it's not a true fungus it's a water mold the most effective treatment is malachite green active ingredient in ick X  saprolegniasis does have a high mortality rate even with treatment so I would start treating with ick X or another medication containing malachite green and aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons straight away@Firestonepines

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

I Want this guy to Live. He’s in pristine aquarium salted, heated, sponge filtered 1.5g. I thank you for your help. I’ve already done a water change. His underside is hard to get a look at. I added maracyn. Then learned it might not be the right gram 1 or something fungus. I should’ve used maracyn 2. 
the article about salt therapy from aquarium co-op is new and rare thinking. Betta clubs are recommending Melafix to each other and I buy it and find out it’s snake oil. Salt was put on the back shelf as a med for fish keeping. I was being told 1tsp/gal.

IMG_1415.jpeg.22ea24495289379771b3977674240c57.jpeg