FritzZyme 7 vs Fritz Turbostart 700

Hi, so basically I am looking for the best beneficial bacteria to cycle a tank and I have heard that Fritz make the best on the market. My question is what is the difference between FritzZyme 7 vs Fritz Turbostart 700? Is one better than the other? I am asking because here in the UK its much easier to get hold of 7 opposed to 700 and much cheaper. Will I be fine with going for 7 or is 700 much better? Also are either of these good for cycling - I have heard they are but some more viewpoints would be nice. Thanks 🙂

I believe that both of those products work, and I definitely used them when I was setting up my first tanks. 

700 is just the super concentrated version that must be kept refrigerated. 7 is less concentrated, and therefore shelf stable, so it doesn’t require refrigeration. Same thing, just pick your concentration. 

• Like 1

I used the 7 to start my new 55 gallon tank. I found it was really effective in jump starting the first stage bb that coverts ammonia into nitrites. Where I don’t think it was as effective was at giving me a head start on the second stage bb that turns those nitrites into nitrates. That still took me about 5 weeks.

I know the use of these bacteria starters can be a topic of varying opinions. One factor that I don’t think gets talked about enough is how they’re stored before they even get to you. If during transport or in some storage room they’re exposed to particularly hot or cold temps that can greatly affect their effectiveness. 

On 7/17/2024 at 4:56 PM, Yoshi said:

I used the 7 to start my new 55 gallon tank. I found it was really effective in jump starting the first stage bb that coverts ammonia into nitrites. Where I don’t think it was as effective was at giving me a head start on the second stage bb that turns those nitrites into nitrates. That still took me about 5 weeks.

I know the use of these bacteria starters can be a topic of varying opinions. One factor that I don’t think gets talked about enough is how they’re stored before they even get to you. If during transport or in some storage room they’re exposed to particularly hot or cold temps that can greatly affect their effectiveness. 

Ok this is really helpful, thank you

On 7/17/2024 at 11:56 AM, Yoshi said:

One factor that I don’t think gets talked about enough is how they’re stored before they even get to you. If during transport or in some storage room they’re exposed to particularly hot or cold temps that can greatly affect their effectiveness.

Absolutely true. I lost 2 large bottles that were shipped in winter, and apparently froze. took weeks for me to even figure that out.

@Cjbear087 I believe they're both the same product, but the turbostart is like 15 times the concentration. I have used it before. I think it may give you a slight boost, but not much. Fritz says a week instead of 3-4. They may be right. I wasn't paying close enough attention for that one. And I'd be cautious when shortening that much

Do you have any houseplants with potting soil that you keep the soil moist and dont let dry out?

A quarter cup of that soil stirred into the tank would seed the filters nicely…

personally I have no confidence in any bacteria in a bottle products, and I tried multiple doses of multiple brands..

On 7/17/2024 at 5:11 PM, Tony s said:

Absolutely true. I lost 2 large bottles that were shipped in winter, and apparently froze. took weeks for me to even figure that out.

@Cjbear087 I believe they're both the same product, but the turbostart is like 15 times the concentration. I have used it before. I think it may give you a slight boost, but not much. Fritz says a week instead of 3-4. They may be right. I wasn't paying close enough attention for that one. And I'd be cautious when shortening that much

Ended up going for the Turbostart - hopefully it works as quick as it says it does but I have faith in Fritz as a brand 

• Like 2

On 7/17/2024 at 11:32 AM, Cjbear087 said:

Turbostart

I used it 4 years ago and my personal experience was that it was faster than doing a fish in cycle with no boost from scratch. 

Keep it refrigerated until you use it, test often, and keep a close eye. Personally, I believe it is better than nothing and doing a whole cycle from scratch with no media/bottled bacteria/some other starter/etc. 

• Like 1