trying to trap my kuhli loaches ...

I hope you have really good luck. They can be impossible to catch. Mine got behind a baffle in my Flex 15. it took me most of an entire morning to get them out. and there were no plants in the way. If you really need them out, you may have to empty most of the tank. it eliminates any vertical climb for them. Actually, what i ended up doing.

On 7/15/2024 at 10:00 PM, Tony s said:

I hope you have really good luck. They can be impossible to catch. Mine got behind a baffle in my Flex 15. it took me most of an entire morning to get them out. and there were no plants in the way. If you really need them out, you may have to empty most of the tank. it eliminates any vertical climb for them. Actually, what i ended up doing.

I think I will end up emptying the tank and removing everything I can. They are not only extremely fast but seem to be omniscient as well.

On 7/16/2024 at 8:42 AM, HelplessNewbie said:

It looks like you succeeded in catching them! Congratulations! How long did you have to wait before they took the bait?

Not yet! :classic_unsure: They are laughing at me as we speak. 

On 7/16/2024 at 12:01 PM, Brenden Mitchell said:

They are not only extremely fast but seem to be omniscient as well.

Right. and if they can do any vertical climbing, they climb right through the gap between glass and net. Quickly. 🤣

You might need to do a fish trap.  An empty water or soda bottle works well.  I would definitely use some plastic wrap secured around the top of the bottle that serves as the funnel into the trap or Kuhlis will be likely to find their way out fairly quickly.  I also recommend putting holes into the main part of the trap for water circulation.  Pics below of one of mine, together and apart.  The ring holding the plastic wrap is the ring that breaks off the bottom of the cap when the soda is opened.  Cutting the top off at just the right level is the tricky bit.  Cut it at the widest part below the shoulder of the bottle and start testing the fit.  Trim it to where it barely fits into place.  If it fits too loose, a determined fish might get partway out, especially a slender fish like a Kuhli loach.

DO NOT treat it as a set and forget it!  I fell asleep once and left a trap in and managed to kill 2 cories, a tetra, and a young bristlenose pleco.  😭  Now I only use it when I can check it frequently (every 30 minutes or less) or when I can directly keep an eye on it and release any fish I don’t want to catch.  The real trick is using the right bait, then placement.  I’ve put it on top of plants when trying to catch midwater species.  Directly on the bottom for Kuhlis of course, and if there’s a favorite spot where they hide, put it so the funnel part faces directly toward the hide.  Good luck!

IMG_2683.jpeg

IMG_2682.jpeg

IMG_2681.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1