pH keeps dropping; some questions...

Hi, all.

Just to set the stage first: I have a 10 gallon non-planted tank that normally only has a few platies, a couple mystery snails, and a nerite snail. Temporarily, that's not the case (see below), but it will soon return to that.

My water parameters have usually stayed fairly steady in the past. More recently, I've found myself having to add some baking soda to bring the pH back up. I've noticed that what happens is the KH drops, and then the pH follows, which makes sense since I'm losing my buffer. I also keep Wonder Shells in the tank regularly. I assume that this might have something to do with a few dozen mystery snails hatching a few months ago. I will be giving almost all of them to others soon, so maybe I'll see the pH stabilize again. I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on whether my suspicion is correct.

Also, a while back, a changed out my HoB filter for a sponge filter. I bought some crushed coral to add to help with pH (which I have not added yet), but then I read that it works best if you can have water flow through it (like putting it in a HoB like the one I used to have). However, would it still work if I put some into a coarse mesh media bag and left it in the tank? (Similar side question: Since going away from the HoB, I don't have bio media anymore, but would it be a good idea to put some bio-rings or Matrix into a coarse media bag and leave it in the tank?)

Thanks for any advice!

On 7/15/2024 at 8:20 PM, PygmyCorydora said:

Seachem Equillibrium raises kh and ph (and gH), and it should last you about a year

I use equlibrium all the time. Equilibrium raises only the gh. Seachem's other products, Akaline buffer and acid buffer adjusts kh and ph. using the acid and alkaline buffer together you can actually target a specific ph. depending on the ratios of alkaline to acid buffer. Adding more of either or both is what adjusts the kh values. I use a 2 to 1 ration of alkaline to acid. this gives me a ph of 7. and the amount of both i use per 30-gallon pretank raises the kh to about 6. 

The amount of equilibrium depends on the gh value you want. It actually can last quite a while. and can be easy to overdo it. It doesn't evaporate, so if you add it at every top off your gh will go through the roof. Mine was at 20 before I figured out what was going on. no deaths though.

@cotasm kh does usually drop over time, organics in the tank cause it to be depleted. organics being more acidic. Excess organics cause it to fall much faster. Not saying you have excess organics. But most people do at some point

On 7/15/2024 at 7:29 PM, cotasm said:

I assume that this might have something to do with a few dozen mystery snails hatching a few months ago.

This could easily be the source of the organics. My snails hatched in a 75g tank, so I didn't notice as much

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What are your numbers, and why are you desiring a special pH.  We are better off achieving a stable number, which I see your pH has dropped, which could be because of many things from not enough water changes etc.  I suspect that it could also be leaching your snails shell.  I would put the coral in and start testing multiple times per week.  I also would do more frequent water changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2024 at 7:29 PM, cotasm said:

However, would it still work if I put some into a coarse mesh media bag and left it in the tank? (Similar side question: Since going away from the HoB, I don't have bio media anymore, but would it be a good idea to put some bio-rings or Matrix into a coarse media bag and leave it in the tank?)

For your last 2 questions. It will work in a bag, but much slower. Kind of like how wondershell works. It will be in a small static space. the thing with the hob, it's just a much faster way to distribute it. If you can put it near your sponge, it will dissolve slightly faster. If you are, in fact using a sponge filter, you really don't need any more biomedia. The greatest thing about a sponge is all the pore space inside that holds loads of bacteria. Otherwise, not a lot of use for a sponge filter. they're not at all good at mechanical filtration. but excel at bio filtration

• Thanks 1

Apologies for the delay in replying. I've been reading the responses but just now got a chance to reply...

On 7/15/2024 at 10:37 PM, Tony s said:

kh does usually drop over time, organics in the tank cause it to be depleted. organics being more acidic. Excess organics cause it to fall much faster.

Yea, with that info, the new snail population is almost certainly what's causing it because it wasn't an issue before.

On 7/16/2024 at 5:45 AM, johnnyxxl said:

What are your numbers, and why are you desiring a special pH.

It's hard for me to get specific numbers for GH and KH because I use AC test strips to get a sense of low/med/high range, but I use API test kit for the rest (pH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates). My GH is almost always on the higher side as was my KH until the recent regular drop-off, which I'm now pretty sure is due to the additional organics from all the new snails. With mostly snails and a few fish that do well with a higher pH, I've been trying to keep it between 7.5-8.0. Lately, over a period of a week or so, it will eventually drop to 7 or below, which is when I've been taking action.

I do fairly regular water changes, so I don't think that's an issue, but I can kick up the frequency.

On 7/16/2024 at 9:18 AM, Tony s said:

If you can put it near your sponge, it will dissolve slightly faster. If you are, in fact using a sponge filter, you really don't need any more biomedia.

I thought about doing exactly that (i.e., putting a bag of crushed coral next to the sponge). I have no reason to be concerned about my cycle, so I won't worry about the bio.

It sounds like I need to pick up some Seachem buffers and tinker with it. Ultimately, this is probably a temporary issue anyway; once most of the new snails are moved out, I suspect my pH will stabilize again like it was before they hatched.

Thanks, all!!

• Like 1

On 7/17/2024 at 4:39 PM, johnnyxxl said:

If you get regular water changes like weekly or so if they are large enough it will fix the problem no chemicals 

Yea, I do try to go the no chemical route whenever possible, but I may use a buffer in this case temporarily. My water changes are frequent enough, but since the new snails arrived, the water changes just speed up the pH drop (probably due to the removal of carbonates from the water), which requires adding more baking soda within 24 hours.

I think you all have provided all the info I need to get things under control, and I'm almost certain the problem will go away once I have moved out all the new snails.

Thanks again for all the advice!