Difficulty breeding cherry barbs

I am new to breeding fish and have been trying to breed cherry barbs. I have three females and two males but I only use one for spawning. I have tried three times and they have spawned three times. On the first and second the eggs were eaten and on third time I tried putting gravel on the bottom for the eggs to fall into but I haven’t seen any eggs or fry yet and it has been several days. And also is it an issue if I breed a long fin males with short fin females.

On 7/13/2024 at 11:40 AM, Mississippi fish guy said:

I am new to breeding fish and have been trying to breed cherry barbs. I have three females and two males but I only use one for spawning. I have tried three times and they have spawned three times. On the first and second the eggs were eaten and on third time I tried putting gravel on the bottom for the eggs to fall into but I haven’t seen any eggs or fry yet and it has been several days. And also is it an issue if I breed a long fin males with short fin females.

Toss in a spawning mop then you could move the eggs. @Mississippi fish guy

Try separating the female for a few weeks. Then introduce them into the spawning tank. Remove them after a few days and wait for the fry to pop up.

20240718_194513.jpg.e75bcd3b67cf0303113b0430c82d834d.jpg

Pm me if it doesn't work, we can go into more details there

Edited by WhitecloudDynasty
  • Like 2

I had success with separating a female for about a week from the rest of the cherry barbs. I’ve counted up to 300 eggs from one spawn but that was with breeders that I had for over a year before I bred them. Yarn mops probably work, but I’ve always used Java moss from a tank without egg scatters(to prevent other eggs from getting in). I also spawn them in RO water but keep them in hard water. My breeding journal goes more in depth and if you have access to Randy Carey’s talk through the Aquarium Coop membership, I would recommend watching that for more nuts and bolts with breeding egg scatterers in general.