Camallanus Worms - copepods

Lauren A

Hi,

I am cycling a 10 gallon planted tank. It’s been running for about 3-4 weeks.  It appears to be cycled but I did not plan to add fish  until some of my plants grow in more.  I’ve been so happy with the process I’ve made and absolutely love the tank.

About 2 weeks ago I realized I have copepods.  Initially I freaked out because my tanks have never had them.  But after researching I see that people rave about them as live fish food.  

I have Black Bar endlers and a betta going into the tank when ready.  

Yesterday I saw Camellanus worms on the sand.  The bulk of them were all gathered together in one corner of the tank.

i did a water change and sucked out as much as possible.  I bought Fritz Expel P and a UV Sterilizer is on its way to me now   

I’m basically struggling with how to go about this - eradicating the copepods and the worms.  I read about their life cycle and it seems challenging to fight them.

if anyone can offer me any help, I’d really appreciate it.  I think the copepods came in on moss that I did a very quick dip on.  I was worried about melting it.  I also don’t know if they came from the black sand.  Or maybe alder cones?  I’m only guessing.  

Thanks for your help.  This is so discouraging.  But I’m grateful no equipment or plants went into my other tanks.  I’m very careful to avoid cross contamination.  Nothing shared between tanks and I always use nitrile gloves.  

Edited by Lauren A

On 7/11/2024 at 5:56 PM, Tlindsey said:

Yes those worms are dangerous to fish. If they were just detritus worms no worries. 

Oh yes, I definitely know this.  Thank you though!  

• Like 1

On 7/11/2024 at 3:57 PM, Lauren A said:

Hi,

I am cycling a 10 gallon planted tank. It’s been running for about 3-4 weeks.  It appears to be cycled but I did not plan to add fish  until some of my plants grow in more.  I’ve been so happy with the process I’ve made and absolutely love the tank.

About 2 weeks ago I realized I have copepods.  Initially I freaked out because my tanks have never had them.  But after researching I see that people rave about them as live fish food.  

I have Black Bar endlers and a betta going into the tank when ready.  

Yesterday I saw Camellanus worms on the sand.  The bulk of them were all gathered together in one corner of the tank.

i did a water change and sucked out as much as possible.  I bought Fritz Expel P and a UV Sterilizer is on its way to me now   

I’m basically struggling with how to go about this - eradicating the copepods and the worms.  I read about their life cycle and it seems challenging to fight them.

if anyone can offer me any help, I’d really appreciate it.  I think the copepods came in on moss that I did a very quick dip on.  I was worried about melting it.  I also don’t know if they came from the black sand.  Or maybe alder cones?  I’m only guessing.  

Thanks for your help.  This is so discouraging.  But I’m grateful no equipment or plants went into my other tanks.  I’m very careful to avoid cross contamination.  Nothing shared between tanks and I always use nitrile gloves.  

I found some help so I think I’ve come up with a good plan.  I’m still open to advice of course.  This will be a long process.  Thanks again.  

On 7/12/2024 at 7:23 PM, Colu said:

Are you sure they not tubifex worms  in your tanks 

Yeah, unfortunately.  Here’s a close up of one I took the other day.  

IMG_1439.png

Here’s another photo after I took one out a few days ago.  IMG_1395.jpeg.98fd5650b4b5b225b63e7ec1faa5f009.jpeg

To be honest, you would know more than me.  I’m open to any help.  

Hmmm, now that I’m looking at more pics online, maybe they are tubifex.  They have that square end to them.  

Let me see if I have a better pic

Posted (edited)

One more pic.  It’s weird because they appeared in the tank so quickly and confined to one area.  I stare at the tank every day like a crazy woman so I would know if they were there even the day before.  

Also, the 3 on the brownie pod have a ramshorn next to them.  You can see the antennas.  Just to give a rough idea on size and how zoomed in I am.

IMG_1393.jpeg

Edited by Lauren A

Posted (edited)

@ColuSorry for another post but interestingly, I have copepods in my plant bin with plants I did not use in this tank.  They were all in there at one point.  

There are no worms in the plant bin.  Yet anyway.  So, that seems a bit weird.  But who knows what tomorrow will bring.  

I hope these pics help and I especially hope it’s tubiflex.

Edited by Lauren A

On 7/13/2024 at 4:34 PM, Lauren A said:

@ColuThey were laying on top of the substrate.  Thank you for your help.  

I have tubifex worms in my tank and they don't lay on the surface they just poke up though the substrate and wave in the current in groups could be blood worms 

I uploaded this video to YouTube.  I took it the day I saw them.  Please excuse my commentary - I sent it to a friend in the hobby but she was stumped.  Just if you want to see their movements.  They weren’t at the surface, just all in that one area where I am in the video on the sand.  

I don’t see any more now.  I think I manually removed them all the other day or siphoned them up.  

I’m still very curious what they are though.  Especially if more pop ip.  Thanks so much for your help!  

On 7/12/2024 at 10:43 PM, Colu said:

Possible  tubifex  worms when you see them in the substrate are they in a group buried with part of the worm sticking out or are they on top of the substrate @Lauren A

@Colu So, I had someone look at this from another forum to see what they thought.  They said they are just moving from the current.  And poop.  I’m thinking the snails poop is bright red from nibbling on the brownie pod.  Or alder cones.  

But if you think differently, please let me know.🙏

I’m a little embarrassed I’ve taken up your time if so.  

On 7/14/2024 at 12:03 AM, Lauren A said:

Do you think the copepods could actually be moving poop - or maybe parts of the brownie pod around like this?

I don't think copepods are big enough to create that kind of movement 

Posted (edited)

@Colu I’m sorry.  Here’s the video.  I’m a little embarrassed if it’s just poop.  I’m thinking maybe the poop is red from the snails eating the brownie pod?  

Edited by Lauren A

Posted (edited)

@Colu There’s also not enough flow on the sand to make them move.  But maybe with the copepods all over the sand it’s just causing them to flop over.  

I put a new brownie pod in last night.  I’m curious to see if the same thing happens.  There’s actually a snail on it right now.  So if the same thing happens, it is most likely just poop.   

Edited by Lauren A
Added another comment

That looks like  poop in the video the picture with the piece on paper towels looks different possible you have a combination of tubifex worms and snails poop 

• Thanks 1

It's def snail poop. If you look at the one poop that looks like its moving, there's either a copepod or other critter tugging  at it  underneath which is making it look like it's moving. Camallanus are very thin and smaller. I am currently treating my tank for it since I saw one come out my male WCMM's butt. 😒 

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2024 at 2:28 PM, Colu said:

That looks like  poop in the video the picture with the piece on paper towels looks different possible you have a combination of tubifex worms and snails poop 

Thank you both so much for your help.  

I do think it’s poop now just moving with the filter flow and copepods constant motion.  There are a lot of them in the tank.  My fish will love them when they finally make the move.  

I totally agree.  The long one on the paper towel definitely looked like worm.  I haven’t seen any more of the longer ones.  

I’m so relieved it’s not Camallanus.  And won’t delay moving the fish over.  

@shawnkissed Oh no.  I’m  so sorry to hear you and your Minnow are dealing with the worms. Poor lil guy.  I hope everything clears up for you.  It’s so stressful dealing with sick fish - for me anyway.  I always feel so bad.

Good luck.  I hope you both have a nice night!  

• Like 1