Seeking advice about mollies yet again

It has been quite a while since my last post. A lot of things have happened. First, a bit of an update. My fish room now has six 15 gallon tanks, one 50 gallon tank and one 65 gallon tank.

65 gallon tank is home to 1 oscar, 5 parrots, 1 tinfoil barb & 2 balas.

50 gallon tank is home to 50 juvenile angel.

One 15 gallon tank is my quarantine tank.

One 15 gallon tank houses the papa angel of my 50 juvenile angels.

Another 15 gallon tank is home to my black velvet angel.

Another 15 gallon tank houses 3 white skirt tetras & 2 black skirt tetras.

Another 15 gallon tank has 4 discus and 1 angelfish.

The last 15 gallon tank is home to my mollies.

Now here comes the problem.

All is well except for my mollies. I can't seem to keep them alive. They die around 2 weeks after i get them from the lfs. All other fishes seem to be ok. Are mollies becoming harder to keep alive? Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Agree with the above. Please note your GH, KH, and PH. Crushed coral may be your friend in the Molly tank....pending parameters.

And, in regards to your 65 gallons....are all those fish juveniles? If so, I respectfully can forsee another large problem in the future. If they are all adults, then I think you have a second problem that is imminent. I say this respectfully, with full support.

Sounds like you have some really cool fish!

Edited by quikv6

Yea agreed, you have those angels in cramped conditions. That 65 will turn into battle dome and tinfoil barbs can and will jump. The Bala’s get enormous. I would focus on rectifying this because it will be an absolute disaster, I promise. 

mollies, and guppy's like a little salt in their water. at a minimum , i consider it a good tonic especially for new fish from an outside source.

Edited by lefty o

Posted (edited)

I have added salt every single time i do water changes. I have a bag of crushed coral inside the tank. I am at the brink of giving up on live bearers. 😣

On 7/11/2024 at 10:35 PM, lefty o said:

mollies, and guppy's like a little salt in their water. at a minimum , i consider it a good tonic especially for new fish from an outside source.

On 7/11/2024 at 2:54 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

What are your parameters like? Mollies are the obvious outlier in that they’re livebearers, so they want hard water compared to your other soft water fish that seem to be doing better. Have you tried any salt for the Mollies?

My biggest juvenile angels are around 3 to 4 inches in diameter. There are smaller ones that get outcompeted for food and they are around half an inches in diameter. Yup the balas and tinfoil are juveniles for sure. I am sure my oscar is because it is just around 7 inches long. As for the parrots, i can't be sure...

On 7/11/2024 at 10:16 PM, mynameisnobody said:

Yea agreed, you have those angels in cramped conditions. That 65 will turn into battle dome and tinfoil barbs can and will jump. The Bala’s get enormous. I would focus on rectifying this because it will be an absolute disaster, I promise. 

20240622_111121(0).jpg.4a92575d041d2fef63e3a4713f9257c4.jpg20240622_111030.jpg.15bf582eebdbc775e86996069b65e503.jpg

Edited by ScandiDefense