90P tank or 44 gal Amazon river theme stocking ideas

vinny

I already know what I want I just want to make sure that it’s ok. 

centerpiece fish: pair of Apistogramma cacatuoides

schooling fish: 15 cardinal tetras, 8 emperor tetras, and 8 red phantom tetras

bottom dwellers: 6 julii corydoras and 6 panda corydoras

cleanup crew: albino bristlenose pleco (maybe longfin if that’s ok)

with lots of Amazon swords, Java fern, hornwort, Java moss, crypts, anubias, and bucephalandra

filter: fluval 307

is this ok?

On 7/10/2024 at 2:20 PM, Airborne 82nd said:

I see how many gallons is that and how does the size compare to the 40gallon? For a river look I would want the longest one.

Umm they are both the same size for length the 90p is just taller and wider. If you want a river get a 40 long. It’s 48 inches long

wait i am confused who is advising who in this thread now... 

Anyhow with that much fish I wonder if you dont have space for a 50g, would give you a little more room to play around with for decorations, as well.  The tank is the cheap part...

Edited by daggaz

On 7/10/2024 at 4:10 PM, daggaz said:

Anyhow with that much fish I wonder if you dont have space for a 50g, would give you a little more room to play around with for decorations, as well.  The tank is the cheap part...

Confused

On 7/10/2024 at 8:26 PM, vinny said:

Umm they are both the same size for length the 90p is just taller and wider. If you want a river get a 40 long. It’s 48 inches long

You are the one who wants a river and are asking which tank you should get..  right?  😉

On 7/11/2024 at 12:15 AM, daggaz said:

You are the one who wants a river and are asking which tank you should get..  right?  😉

I read @vinny as already having a 90P tank, which is about 44 gallons, and asking advice in stocking it to make an Amazon river themed tank.

@vinny, that stocking seems about right to me, maybe pushing it a bit, but if it's heavily planted then I think it could work. The emperor tetras give me pause; I've never kept them, but I think they're bigger bodied than most tetras? You might want to prioritize your groups of tetras, in case that stocking is too much, so that if you have to cut a group out, it's your least important/favorite species. Hopefully that makes sense.

By the way, if you're planning on breeding the apistos, I found that (cardinal, in my case) tetras can be pretty efficient fry eaters.

I know you're going for an Amazon themed tank rather than an Amazon biotope, so maybe it doesn't matter, but some of those plants you mentioned don't come from South America (the Java fern, Java moss, crypts, anubias, and bucephalandra). I'm not sure about the hornwort. Again, maybe that's not a big deal, but if it is, you'll want to get a different plant list before buying and planting all of those.

On 7/11/2024 at 10:01 AM, Rube_Goldfish said:

I read @vinny as already having a 90P tank, which is about 44 gallons, and asking advice in stocking it to make an Amazon river themed tank.

@vinny, that stocking seems about right to me, maybe pushing it a bit, but if it's heavily planted then I think it could work. The emperor tetras give me pause; I've never kept them, but I think they're bigger bodied than most tetras? You might want to prioritize your groups of tetras, in case that stocking is too much, so that if you have to cut a group out, it's your least important/favorite species. Hopefully that makes sense.

By the way, if you're planning on breeding the apistos, I found that (cardinal, in my case) tetras can be pretty efficient fry eaters.

I know you're going for an Amazon themed tank rather than an Amazon biotope, so maybe it doesn't matter, but some of those plants you mentioned don't come from South America (the Java fern, Java moss, crypts, anubias, and bucephalandra). I'm not sure about the hornwort. Again, maybe that's not a big deal, but if it is, you'll want to get a different plant list before buying and planting all of those.

Thank you. what should I substitute the hornwort out for? I’m also not trying to breed the apistogrammi I just want the male and female to look different and he have a partner with him in the tank 🙂

On 7/11/2024 at 1:14 PM, vinny said:

Thank you. what should I substitute the hornwort out for? I’m also not trying to breed the apistogrammi I just want the male and female to look different and he have a partner with him in the tank 🙂

I don't really know this website, so I can't really vouch for it, but FreshWaterAquariumPlants.com has a listing of some South American/Amazon native plants: https://freshwateraquariumplants.com/amazonbiotope/amazon.html

Some of them, like Lilaeopsis brasiliensis and Mayaca fluviatilis are sold by Aquarium Co-op, too.

As for a stem? From that list, Alternanthera reinickii and Heteranthera zosteraefolia should fit the bill.

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2024 at 4:10 PM, daggaz said:

I think he thought I was looking for a 4ft tank. I was trying to tell him to go for a longer tank for a river look. I've never heard of a 90p and thought he was trying to pick one or the other. Now I'm confused but that is easy for me to do. Now where was I oh ya looking for a tank 😁

• Haha 1