Some shrimp questions

10g about 2+months going. Finally things seem stable. Before adding fish I got 5 ghost shrimp to put in tank . Two have lived to thrive. Then I added 6 Amanos at about the 6 week mark. All have thrived. TODAY I see a tiny baby shrimp!!! 👀I’m guessing from a ghost shrimp??? Im putting in a pic- it’s on the white rock. 
Also second pic- shrimp or snail eggs in cluster??? Nobody including the 5 chili rasboras seem to be eating. Just some random pest snails which I’m not wild about but haven’t removed . 
The Amanos race around the tank like wild at times. Very territorial if I put in a wafer. Think I need to supplement more???

IMG_8274.jpeg

IMG_8273.jpeg

• Like 3

On 7/9/2024 at 2:50 PM, Potterygal said:

see a tiny baby shrimp!!! 👀I’m guessing from a ghost shrimp?

I would assume baby ghost shrimp as well. Most state the eggs of ghost shrimp will only hatch in brackish. Great to hear the shrimp are thriving.  @Potterygal

On 7/9/2024 at 3:54 PM, Tlindsey said:

I would assume baby ghost shrimp as well. Most state the eggs of ghost shrimp will only hatch in brackish. Great to hear the shrimp are thriving.  @Potterygal

I think @Tlindsey had a typo there; it's Amano shrimp where the larvae need brackish or salt water to live. Essentially, Amano shrimp can't successfully reproduce in freshwater.

Also, Amanos can be greedy about food, and can zip around, snag it, and run off to eat in seclusion. If they're growing and molting, you're probably fine, but you could try tossing in a little extra now and then and see how things go. Depending on what kind of algae wafer you've got, you could snap it by hand into a couple pieces and scatter it around.

That egg cluster looks like snail eggs to me.

• Like 1

This pic looks like the ghost “ should” be molting soon?? I’ve not seen any obvious molting of any shrimp yet. I have a wonder shell in the tank and my Gh seems to be about 75-100 on the AC TEST multi strips. 
A chili took a nip towards baby but baby jumped away!! Natures way!!

IMG_8276.jpeg

Also- how do I use the quote feature? I think I’ve messed up several times and sorry if my msgs have not appeared quite in order?

• Like 2

On 7/9/2024 at 2:13 PM, Potterygal said:

how do I use the quote feature?

You just tap and hold on the text you want to quote - basically you “highlight” it and then a little button will pop up that says “quote selection”. So then you click that. 🙂

Glad to hear your shrimp and chilis are doing well. That cluster is definitely some sort of pest snail - you might have a baby snail explosion here before too long lol. 
Agreed with what’s said before - Amanos can’t hatch in freshwater, so congrats on your baby ghost shrimp!

• Like 1

On 7/9/2024 at 4:59 PM, EricksonAquatics said:
On 7/9/2024 at 4:13 PM, Potterygal said:

You just tap and hold on the text y

Well, thank you! Any comment on that crusty looking ghost shrimp? It was from my LFS as a throw away feeder - like .29 each😞. And IT made baby(s)!!!

Think it will molt? My Amanos have not molted either……

• Like 2

Definitely a ghost shrimp as Amanos require brackish water to breed and cannot breed in freshwater. I wish they could, though! I have a male and female Amano, and the female often carries eggs. Kind of a shame knowing that I’ll never have tiny Amano larvae floating around, but that’s how they work.

Also, definitely snail eggs in the cluster. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/9/2024 at 8:11 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Definitely a ghost shrimp as Amanos require brackish water to breed and cannot breed in freshwater. I wish they could, though! I have a male and female Amano, and the female often carries eggs. Kind of a shame knowing that I’ll never have tiny Amano larvae floating around, but that’s how they work.

I think I will suction out these globs of snail eggs. I like nerites ( I have one in another 5 gal that is 4 yrs+. ) but not fond of the pest type snails. I never expected my pitiful feeder ghost shrimp to procreate! What a happy surprise it was. I love the Amanos tho- so active and feisty!

Edited by Potterygal
  • Like 1