Rainbow Dace (Cyprinella lutrensis) breeding?

donnots

Does anyone have info about breeding Rainbow Dace (Cyprinella lutrensis)?

It can't be so difficult. Commercial places breed them by the thousands as they are used for fishing bait. 

Yet I can't find any good breeding info online. 

I got mine in a LFS for $9 a piece one year ago.

I have 7 fish: 4 males, 3 females.

They are in a 20g tall with natural gravel bottom and Co op sponge filter with the flow kit.

The males color up greatly and exhibit spawning behavior but I haven't found any eggs or fry. I assume they are eating them?

I've tried putting in lots of java moss. Putting in a container filled with rocks for them to spawn over. So far nothing, and I don't think I am on the right track.  

I am told they are 'crevice spawners' so I have tried piling up sandstones. Still no success. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2024 at 3:06 PM, donnots said:

It can't be so difficult. Commercial places breed them by the thousands as they are used for fishing bait. 

They are in a 20g tall with natural gravel bottom and Co op sponge filter with the flow kit.

The males color up greatly and exhibit spawning behavior but I haven't found any eggs or fry. I assume they are eating them?

I've tried putting in lots of java moss. Putting in a container filled with rocks for them to spawn over. So far nothing, and I don't think I am on the right track.  

I am told they are 'crevice spawners' so I have tried piling up sandstones. Still no success. 

I believe @Fish Folk breeds dace possibly similar to the rainbow dace.

On 7/6/2024 at 4:43 PM, Tlindsey said:

I believe @Fish Folk breeds dace possibly similar to the rainbow dace.

The thread of @Fish Folkhttps://forum.aquariumcoop.com/topic/17539-redbelly-dace/page/4/#comment-346724

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2024 at 3:06 PM, donnots said:

This webpage provides a lot of information:

http://sandbox.fishesoftexas.org/spp_accts/cyprinella lutrensis.htm

The Wikipedia page is actually helpful:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_shiner

I am not sure why they have been recently called “Rainbow Dace.” I always have heard them informally described as “Red Shiners.”

Like other cyprinella species, they are crevice spawners.

One technique you can try is using a large emperor / penguin filter Bio wheel as a crevice site. Drop it in, and after spawning, move out to an empty tank for eggs to hatch. I did not succeed spawning mine, but I know others who succeed with this method. Here’s a thread on Cyprinella pyrrhomelas that I kept for awhile…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks.

I've read both of those before but couldn't find anything about captive breeding. Wild breeding appears to be a mix of crevice and broadcast. 

I actually have a 20 year old penguin biowheel laying around. If it works for that, would be the most use I ever got from it! LOL

On 7/6/2024 at 10:30 PM, Fish Folk said:

I am not sure why they have been recently called “Rainbow Dace.” I always have heard them informally described as “Red Shiners.”

Not sure either. The satinfin shiners are the Cyprinella genus. So shiner would be the more accurate name. But for years I've seen them labeled "Rainbow dace" in LFS and only heard them called "red shiners" in bait shops. 

• Like 1