Snails and glass razor scraper

I have some diatom algae on the front glass of some of my tanks. Related to that, I've got a bunch of snails eating those diatoms, just not fast enough for my liking.

So I bought a razor blade scraper, but now I'm not sure how to use it with those snails on the glass. Do I have to knock them all off first? I don't want to cut them with the razor blade.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2024 at 2:22 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

I have some diatom algae on the front glass of some of my tanks. Related to that, I've got a bunch of snails eating those diatoms, just not fast enough for my liking.

So I bought a razor blade scraper, but now I'm not sure how to use it with those snails on the glass. Do I have to knock them all off first? I don't want to cut them with the razor blade.

For diatom algae your best bet is melamine wiping pads.  With a razor the diatoms disperse back into the tank to land on other things and grow. I find these even work on the green algae that grows on glass. The diatoms stick to the pad to be removed from the tank.  Also as you wipe along you gently nudge snails and they let go so no chance of harming them with a razor. 

E1AD3672-1F14-45AF-8EDB-BCDF16E1D0AB.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2024 at 2:33 PM, Guppysnail said:

For diatom algae your best bet is melamine wiping pads.

Yeah, I saw something interesting on the news about that kind of product. specifically Magic Erasers. Turns out they may be a good source of the microplastics that are getting into our water supply. I'm not planning on changing or anything until they have something better. But it was interesting, and makes a great deal of sense as they kind of dissolve when using

On 7/5/2024 at 2:33 PM, Guppysnail said:

For diatom algae your best bet is melamine wiping pads.  With a razor the diatoms disperse back into the tank to land on other things and grow. I find these even work on the green algae that grows on glass. The diatoms stick to the pad to be removed from the tank.  Also as you wipe along you gently nudge snails and they let go so no chance of harming them with a razor. 

E1AD3672-1F14-45AF-8EDB-BCDF16E1D0AB.png

That's what I've been doing for now. I was hoping to use the razor scraper because sometimes it's easy to say "well, I don't have time to get wet up to my elbow right now" and thereby out off what could be a two minute chore. Work easier, not harder, that sort of thing. Oh well.

Would you recommend the razor for green spot algae, then, or is the entire tool not really that great?

On 7/5/2024 at 2:42 PM, Tony s said:

Yeah, I saw something interesting on the news about that kind of product. specifically Magic Erasers. Turns out they may be a good source of the microplastics that are getting into our water supply. I'm not planning on changing or anything until they have something better. But it was interesting, and makes a great deal of sense as they kind of dissolve when using

Hmm, interesting. I'll be curious to see what further research shows. We use them a lot in the Goldfish household.

@Guppysnail, @Lennie, @Tony s, I am out of reactions for the day, but thank you!

• Like 1

On 7/5/2024 at 3:00 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

Would you recommend the razor for green spot algae, then, or is the entire tool not really that great?

I have found the magic erasers to be all I need.  There are a few spots I can’t easily reach so it gets out of control thick. At that point I use plastic razors simply to save extra work I. Hard to reach places. I’ve never used metal razors. Way too easy to scratch glass and I have NEVER in my life been called graceful outside of sarcasm. 🤣

On 7/5/2024 at 3:00 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

well, I don't have time to get wet up to my elbow right now"

Wet up to my armpits are my standard attire.  I’m always in my tanks so I don’t think twice. 

• Haha 1