10 gal Honey Gouramk Community Tank

Say hi to pickles (that’s the gourami name)

rate my tank 1-5 and tell me what I could do better or what I did good. Be brutally honest 🙂

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 6

On 7/5/2024 at 9:22 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

4.5! Love it, I might add a few more smaller stem plants at the bottom, could look cool. But yes I love the tank! Nice 👍 job.

Thank you it’s my first ever tank. Do you have any plant suggestions?

• Like 3

On 7/5/2024 at 9:26 AM, vinny said:

Can you grow carpet of dwarf hair grass without co2?

It's a lot slower and has a lesser chance of success, but it can be done. What light do you have? You may also have success with Monte Carlo, Staurogyne repens, or dwarf sagittaria.

Pearl weed would work well but might work too well, and need a lot of trimming to stay a carpet. Cryptocoryne parva is the opposite: it's very easy and will send out runners to carpet, but is so slow-growing, you need either a lot of pots of it or a lot of patience.

If you're just looking for low accent plants, @Whitecloud09 's suggestion of anubias is good. You can even glue the roots to a small bit of gravel, just enough to keep them from floating, and dot them around the foreground wherever looks nice. Bucephalandra would work in the same way (though it's more expensive).

If you want to try a carpeting plant (or two, or three!) then go for it, but you don't need a carpet. The tank looks great as it is. How long has it been running?

• Like 3

On 7/5/2024 at 10:03 AM, Rube_Goldfish said:

It's a lot slower and has a lesser chance of success, but it can be done. What light do you have? You may also have success with Monte Carlo, Staurogyne repens, or dwarf sagittaria.

Pearl weed would work well but might work too well, and need a lot of trimming to stay a carpet. Cryptocoryne parva is the opposite: it's very easy and will send out runners to carpet, but is so slow-growing, you need either a lot of pots of it or a lot of patience.

If you're just looking for low accent plants, @Whitecloud09 's suggestion of anubias is good. You can even glue the roots to a small bit of gravel, just enough to keep them from floating, and dot them around the foreground wherever looks nice. Bucephalandra would work in the same way (though it's more expensive).

If you want to try a carpeting plant (or two, or three!) then go for it, but you don't need a carpet. The tank looks great as it is. How long has it been running?

Thx

Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2024 at 10:03 AM, Rube_Goldfish said:

Yea I forgot that Pearl weed lives up to its name, it can grow like a weed. I forgot to mention, not just carpeting plants, were those ideas. You might like Windelov Java fern also. My fav type of Java fern. Crypt plants can do well. Only certain kinds grow big I think. Check me on that. Not huge on crypts, so not a ton of experience with those. Monte Carlo can be a good one, can be a floater to actually. Nvr tried it in the gravel, only as a floater but I think  it would be great, go to ACs website, they have some good ones as far as carpeting plants go.

So yea it can be done, co2 or no co2, dwarf hair grass should be fine.

Edited by Whitecloud09
  • Like 2

I will give it a 4.5 for personal taste (I hate the maintenance of sand substrate), however if you enjoy the maintenance it is easily a 5/5. I love the arrangement of your hardscape and your honey gourami looks so happy! If you want to add anything I would suggest some S. repens, pearl grass, or guppy grass in the midground and C. parva in the foreground. Hygrophila may also be pretty in the midground or even background! If you want color, look into scarlet temple rosanervig. I've had it grow beautifully in a 5.5g without CO2.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2024 at 8:02 AM, vinny said:

Say hi to pickles (that’s the gourami name)

rate my tank 1-5 and tell me what I could do better or what I did good. Be brutally honest 🙂

image.jpg

Gorgeous tank … looks bigger than it is! I’d give it a 4.5/5 ; any thoughts on tank mates for Pickles the honey gourami?

Edit: Looks like there are some neon tetras and a Cory cat back there - very nice!

Edited by AtomicSunfish
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 7/5/2024 at 1:59 PM, ange said:

I will give it a 4.5 for personal taste (I hate the maintenance of sand substrate), however if you enjoy the maintenance it is easily a 5/5. I love the arrangement of your hardscape and your honey gourami looks so happy! If you want to add anything I would suggest some S. repens, pearl grass, or guppy grass in the midground and C. parva in the foreground. Hygrophila may also be pretty in the midground or even background! If you want color, look into scarlet temple rosanervig. I've had it grow beautifully in a 5.5g without CO2.

Will do thx