Stocking question

Posted (edited)

Hi

I have a Fluval 32 gallon with 10 zebra danios and 8 kuhli loaches. They all get along fine (with the exception of the zebrafish always trying to steal the loaches' food) and my nitrates are barely at 10 ppm when I do water changes every two weeks. Ammonia and nitrites always 0 and PH is steady. I was planning to get 8 more loaches, because I love them and their bioload is so small, but according to Aqadvisor that's way overstocked. That seems wrong, so I figured I'd check here. 

Thank you!

Edited by Lizzietheloach

Posted (edited)

I’m wondering if you meant zebra danios instead of zebra fish. Danios being way smaller 

nope, that wasn’t it. Only lists 1 zebra fish. Danio rerio 

Edited by Tony s

I just went and played with it. 10 zebra danios with 16 kuhli’s only brought me to 94% stocked. For a standard 30g tank. I’d go ahead and wouldn’t even think twice about it 

The only thing I would be concerned about is with a Flex, you lose about 10% of total capacity with those baffles. I have 2 of the 15’s. I wish I would have realized that before getting them. How are you doing with the kuhlis behind the baffles. I spent a good 4 hrs getting them out after the first week. Then I cut sponges to cover the inlets 😂

• Thanks 1

On 7/3/2024 at 10:36 PM, Tony s said:

I just went and played with it. 10 zebra danios with 16 kuhli’s only brought me to 94% stocked. For a standard 30g tank. I’d go ahead and wouldn’t even think twice about it 

The only thing I would be concerned about is with a Flex, you lose about 10% of total capacity with those baffles. I have 2 of the 15’s. I wish I would have realized that before getting them. How are you doing with the kuhlis behind the baffles. I spent a good 4 hrs getting them out after the first week. Then I cut sponges to cover the inlets 😂

Oh, that's a relief! I suspect user error was involved in my calculation. I was going to add the 8 loaches and then maybe get some amano shrimp or hillstream loaches, but I don't want to mess up my tank. It's only 6 months old, so I'd like to be careful haha

• Like 1

ultimately stocking levels come down to how much maintenance you want to do. the more heavily stocked, the more water changes etc. id would suggest if unsure work your way up slowly. you want 8 kuhli's but arent 100% sure, try starting with 4, and if its not an issue you can always add more down the road.

• Like 3

On 7/3/2024 at 10:55 PM, lefty o said:

ultimately stocking levels come down to how much maintenance you want to do. the more heavily stocked, the more water changes etc. id would suggest if unsure work your way up slowly. you want 8 kuhli's but arent 100% sure, try starting with 4, and if its not an issue you can always add more down the road.

I think you're right. Thank you! 

On 7/3/2024 at 10:36 PM, Tony s said:

I feel silly asking this, but what part are the baffles? Are they the intake screens? So far I've been lucky enough that none of the loaches have made their way to the back 🤞 They're pretty chunky, so that might be why. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2024 at 11:14 PM, Lizzietheloach said:

but what part are the baffles

Ok, I assumed you have the 32g flex tank. Possibly not? The baffle is what hold the flex filter and hides the heater and pump. It’s got the top and bottom slotted intakes. My kuhlis decided they didn’t like the front of the tank and decided they were going to live in the back. 🤣

On 7/3/2024 at 11:23 PM, Tony s said:

Ok, I assumed you have the 32g flex tank. Possibly not? The baffle is what hold the flex filter and hides the heater and pump. It’s got the top and bottom slotted intakes. My kuhlis decided they didn’t like the front of the tank and decided they were going to live in the back. 🤣

Yes! I do have that one. I like it pretty well. I may not do the curved front next time. Thankfully, our loaches haven't gone to the back yet. I think maybe they're too big to fit 😄 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Filtration determines your stock levels. With the 32 flex you can load up biological media in the middle section of filter area. Get bio balls, put them in mesh bags for easy removal. Additionally you can go on Etsy and find special planters that will fit into that middle section. Many houseplants you can then grow right out of the top of the filter with roots sucking up nutrients from the water column. 

Edited by D191
Forgot
  • Like 2

On 7/5/2024 at 3:52 AM, D191 said:

Filtration determines your stock levels. With the 32 flex you can load up biological media in the middle section of filter area. Get bio balls, put them in mesh bags for easy removal. Additionally you can go on Etsy and find special planters that will fit into that middle section. Many houseplants you can then grow right out of the top of the filter with roots sucking up nutrients from the water column. 

Oh cool! I've been slowing adding more and more live plants for that reason, but mostly easy, slow-growing ones like anubias and bucephalandra.

On 7/5/2024 at 2:45 PM, Tony s said:

The other thing about the flex and aqadvisor. I'm not sure they have anything in the filter section for the estimate. I believe that pump is kinda proprietary

Oh, what do you mean?

when you plug in a filter to that, it's usually a named brand filter. not sure the flex pump has a designation for that. or did you see the space to put in your filter size. I think for whatever fish you put in there, you should be good. The knock on the flex has been that in some ways the filter is too strong. I know it's way too strong for bettas and has to be dampened down a bit

of course there's always the user defined gallons per minute. you could add in your filter there.

That may make a difference on whether it says you're overstocked or not. I have a hard time believing it says 16 kuhlis and 10 zebras are in any way overstocked for a 32g. I have 12 in my 15g. had 1 betta with them, but no longer. and maybe your kuhlis would come out more in a large school

On 7/5/2024 at 3:38 PM, Tony s said:

That may make a difference on whether it says you're overstocked or not. I have a hard time believing it says 16 kuhlis and 10 zebras are in any way overstocked for a 32g. I have 12 in my 15g. had 1 betta with them, but no longer. and maybe your kuhlis would come out more in a large school

So it turns out I made a poor calculation. I had the right name of my tank in there, but I had the dimensions of my old tank, so AqAdvisor thought that it was too small. I adjusted and it's good now. I feel silly, but I'm relieved. Thank you so much for your help! I think I'm still going to go slow with continuing to add fish, just in case, because I haven't been in the hobby long enough to feel confident about it. 

• Like 2

On 7/5/2024 at 4:59 PM, Lizzietheloach said:

I think I'm still going to go slow with continuing to add fish, just in case, because I haven't been in the hobby long enough to feel confident about it. 

Going slow always makes things easier. This is a hobby for the patient!

• Like 2