Panda Cory bulge + flashing (PLZ HELP!)

Mordecai13

Hello everyone,

I have a question and concern for my panda cories. I have 5 in a 10 gallon (I know this isn’t super ideal, but several have told me they’ve made it work so I decided to give it a shot). No other fish.

water parameters as of 2 days ago: 

ammonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 20-40

ph 6. Something I forgot 

i started with a trio of cories then added 2 more 1-2 weeks later. 

im concerned because i catch them flashing at least once a day (sometimes different ones) (edit: I just saw it happen again since i posted this so tbh like 3-4 times a day probably) and the flashing is very spazzy and scary looking. I also noticed this morning that one of them had a bulge on its stomach? I was wondering if anyone knew if this is a type of sickness / cause for concern.

note: the 3 original cories seem to be doing the best, but one of these is the one with the bulge. The 2 newer addditions are more lethargic as of late and also are the ones I catch flashing more often. All 5 have been eating normally tho and I don’t see any discoloration / spots on their body. Unless in one of the images I attached that’s a concerning white spot?? But the 3 originals hang out together more as well.

also not to mention, most of the cories’ days consist of them glass surfing in the back right corner of my tank.

if anyone could help me out with some advice that would be greatly appreciated🙏🏼 attached is a pic of the bulged Cory and of my tank. 

IMG_1734.jpeg

IMG_1713.jpeg

IMG_1698.jpeg

IMG_7785.jpeg

Edited by Mordecai13

On 7/1/2024 at 4:24 PM, Colu said:

What are you feeding and how often any rapid breathing hanging out near the surface lethargy  spitting food out sunken belly @Mordecai13

Feeding them 1-2 pellets of hikari sinking wafers, 2x a day. Couple times a week give them some frozen bloodworms. I haven't seen any rapid breathing or hanigng out near the surface. The 3 Original cories do like to glass surf on the right side of the tank up and down the walls (almost all day), however.

No spitting out food, usually all the food is gone in ~20 min. There is some lethargy for the new 2 cories, but when i feed them they all eat together and seem fine. 

Is there any concern needed for the flashing? They all do it sometimes, some more than others. Is it my substrate?

Edited by Mordecai13

On 7/2/2024 at 12:27 AM, Mordecai13 said:

Feeding them 1-2 pellets of hikari sinking wafers, 2x a day. Couple times a week give them some frozen bloodworms. I haven't seen any rapid breathing or hanigng out near the surface. The 3 Original cories do like to glass surf on the right side of the tank up and down the walls (almost all day), however.

No spitting out food, usually all the food is gone in ~20 min. There is some lethargy for the new 2 cories, but when i feed them they all eat together and seem fine. 

Is there any concern needed for the flashing? They all do it sometimes, some more than others. Is it my substrate?

Flashing can be caused by Gill flukes it can also be caused by poor water quality your water parameters are fine and occasionally flashing is normal for fish think of it as scratching an itch  most of the time it's nothing to worry about glass surfing is usually caused by stress when you first add fish to the tank or there's not enough hiding places the bloating could be caused by what your feeding I add would  add a smaller sinking pellets such as fluval bugbites and some gel food  repashy bottom scratcher to there diet and feed the wafers twice a week 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2024 at 7:27 PM, Mordecai13 said:

Panda corys do this all the time. Sometimes it’s just for play. Mine continually chase each other around. They especially will do this after a water change when everything is fresh. 

• Like 2

On 7/2/2024 at 1:58 PM, Mordecai13 said:

So do you guys suggest I do nothing other than just the change in feeding for now?

Possibly, for the moment. And keep an eye on them and your parameters.

I usually only feed mine once a day with the sinking algae wafers. Mostly the same product. A bit less crude protein, less crude fat, less fiber. Not saying anything, just comparing. Sometimes I give them give them sinking carnivore pellets for added protein though. very rarely do I give bloodworms, but they love that for a treat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1