Help identifying lesion on oscar

John88c

I have been is a little tough spot i had my oscar in my 125 gallon tank with a tri-mac and  have been away for past months checking in on them every week while i have been in the process of moving. I finally got to the point where i got rid of the tri- mac and moved my tank and oscar to my new place and noticed this one spot. The tri- mac has been picking on the oscar im afraid it might be Hole in HeadIMG_6675.jpeg.68cadb897620ece45fc631e38acf1f38.jpegIMG_6676.jpeg.87df8b05408774d1d8de275498eed524.jpeg

• Like 1

On 6/29/2024 at 10:59 PM, John88c said:

I have been is a little tough spot i had my oscar in my 125 gallon tank with a tri-mac and  have been away for past months checking in on them every week while i have been in the process of moving. I finally got to the point where i got rid of the tri- mac and moved my tank and oscar to my new place and noticed this one spot. The tri- mac has been picking on the oscar im afraid it might be Hole in HeadIMG_6675.jpeg.68cadb897620ece45fc631e38acf1f38.jpegIMG_6676.jpeg.87df8b05408774d1d8de275498eed524.jpeg

Looks like Trimac bit the Oscar in that area removing flesh. Nice looking Oscar. 

Welcome to the forum @John88c

Edited by Tlindsey
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2024 at 12:04 AM, Tlindsey said:

Looks like Trimac bit the Oscar in that area removing flesh

Could easily be a bite. But could it also be head and lateral line erosion. Or hole in the head?  Usually caused by increased organics and the hexamita parasite. @Colu

Assuming that to be true, here’s coops read on that 

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/hole-in-the-head

That also attributes it to water quality, stress, and poor diet. As well as several different infections agents that step in to erode the tissue.

first thing that I would do would be to clear up any excess organics in the water. Note, this does not mean your parameter numbers. But any extra bits of gunk floating around. Trust me, not throwing shade here. Lord knows I could use the same advice. Parameters can be fine while the tank is still a mess. Then switch to a high grade cichlid pellet to improve the diet. Ones from sera, extreme, north fin should help. Or a combination of all three. Then third, I’d watch the trimac very carefully. If it’s causing a lot of stress, it may need to be in a different tank. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2024 at 3:59 AM, John88c said:

That doesn't look like hole in the head I think that's an injury caused by the tri-mac cichlid I would increase water changes to lower the bacterial count add a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 10 gallons that will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes and monitor if you notice any change give us an update 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Im sorry i thought I mentioned in the original post i have removed the Tri-mac she went to my friends tank he has a male Tri-mac and they are courting. At the moment its just the oscar and tiny pleco.

i have done a complete water change and washed the substrate due  to me moving my tank how often and how much should i do a water change for the issue.

thank you for all the responses 

greatly appreciate

Edited by John88c
  • Like 2

finally got to the point where i got rid of the tri- mac and moved my tank and oscar to my new

See this is what happens at 3am. Sorry I missed it. 

On 6/30/2024 at 2:19 PM, John88c said:

Im sorry i thought I mentioned in the original post i have removed the Tri-mac she went to my friends tank he has a male Tri-mac and they are courting. At the moment its just the oscar and tiny pleco.

i have done a complete water change and washed the substrate due  to me moving my tank how often and how much should i do a water change for the issue.

thank you for all the responses 

greatly appreciate

I would do two 30% water changes a week till the wound start heal 

• Like 1