betta fin rot

ka47

On 7/5/2024 at 11:49 PM, ka47 said:

would it be better to just keep him in that one for treatment? or would it be better to do it in the hospital tank?

Whichever tank has zero ammonia, so you can start treatment asap.

also randomly to add i thibk my kribensis has popeye can that be treated with maracyn 2 as well?

On 7/6/2024 at 12:30 AM, Tony s said:

ok thanks currently acclimating him for an hour then will add him and start treatment straight away

• Like 1

On 7/6/2024 at 12:30 AM, Tony s said:

also should i move over the indian almond leaves? they may still have some methylene blue and aquarium salt on them which i think is not good for the shrimp and plants. would rinsing them be okay or do you think there’s not really gonna be enough of that stuff left to harm them anyways

On 7/6/2024 at 12:31 AM, ka47 said:

also randomly to add i thibk my kribensis has popeye can that be treated with maracyn 2 as well

Never dealt with popeye before. But it definitely won’t hurt to try. Possibly even some of the medicated food. 

On 7/6/2024 at 4:49 AM, ka47 said:

it’s not really a hospital tank it’s his old ten gallon which used to have ammonia but doesn’t now but it has shrimp and plants that’s good for him?

would it be better to just keep him in that one for treatment? or would it be better to do it in the hospital tank?

If the other tank cycled with no ammonia I would treat him in that 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2024 at 6:11 AM, Colu said:

If the other tank cycled with no ammonia I would treat him in that 

On 7/6/2024 at 3:48 AM, Tony s said:

Never dealt with popeye before. But it definitely won’t hurt to try. Possibly even some of the medicated food. 

ok so now there seems to be a little. it of ammonia in the tank and my betta seems quite a bit more sluggish. still tried to eat food today but it was very late so i decided to let him sleep. since he started eating last saturday he’s  eaten four then one the rest of the week and then three again yesterday. i did the medicine and have gone through the cycle and finished it today and am starting one more tommrow. i was wondering if i should wait to start another one and add the seachem product again or what i should do. also is the eating a good sign he will recover? also today he was resting a lot today but differently than before when he wasn’t eating by now this time having his head higher than the rest of his body if that makes sense. also here’s the test. 

IMG_0911.jpeg

With API test kit i find it difficult to tell if it's 0 or 0.25 if you going to do another course of antibiotics I would do another water change and add a double dose of prime to help detoxify any possible ammonia present before treating eating is a good sign hopefully he will make a full recovery given time open the test tube looks down with tube on the white background I find that easy to tell with API test kit what colour it is if your using prime that can give a false positive for ammonia with API test kit @ka47

• Like 1

If his head is pointing upwards to the top of the water, then it might be a sign of low oxygen, mostly from the ammonia. Could i see a pic of him doing this? Might be wrong but idk.  It looks like 0 to me, but might be a tiny bit higher, but most likely not .25. Add prime to keep him safe from the ammonia for a little bit, and yes double dose like @Colu just said, keep checking ammonia daily and if you see a higher amount, you need to do a water change. Also, check other parameters. Nitrite especially. Can be even more toxic than ammonia sometimes.  Up to you if you want to do another treatment, but personally I would do one more.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2024 at 1:31 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

If his head is pointing upwards to the top of the water, then it might be a sign of low oxygen, mostly from the ammonia. Could i see a pic of him doing this? Might be wrong but idk.  It looks like 0 to me, but might be a tiny bit higher, but most likely not .25. Add prime to keep him safe from the ammonia for a little bit, and yes double dose like @Colu just said, keep checking ammonia daily and if you see a higher amount, you need to do a water change. Also, check other parameters. Nitrite especially. Can be even more toxic than ammonia sometimes.  Up to you if you want to do another treatment, but personally I would do one more.

On 7/13/2024 at 6:35 AM, Colu said:

With API test kit i find it difficult to tell if it's 0 or 0.25 if you going to do another course of antibiotics I would do another water change and add a double dose of prime to help detoxify any possible ammonia present before treating eating is a good sign hopefully he will make a full recovery given time open the test tube looks down with tube on the white background I find that easy to tell with API test kit what colour it is if your using prime that can give a false positive for ammonia with API test kit @ka47

here are the tests and the betta. he’s laying on the floor now and laying a little different. since the water looks good should i jot do the water change and just add the medication?

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Sad 1

On 7/13/2024 at 8:43 PM, ka47 said:

here are the tests and the betta. he’s laying on the floor now and laying a little different. since the water looks good should i jot do the water change and just add the medication?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yes I would do another water change and add the medication 

On 7/13/2024 at 11:36 PM, ka47 said:

ok great that’s what i did

Your water parameters look fine now  just keep an eye on your ammonia during treatment just in case you get a spike 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 2

On 7/13/2024 at 1:31 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

sorry here’s a pic not the best quality but he’ll swim and then go into this position

IMG_0930.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/15/2024 at 7:59 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Air can be very important, I would consider a airstone for oxygen.

ok thanks i’ll get that

• Like 1

On 7/15/2024 at 9:39 PM, ka47 said:

ok thanks i’ll get that

unfortunate my betta did pass i fid see it coming as he was very slow after eating three days ago. i really had hope of recovery after he started eating does anyone know what happened. really bad on my part to let him pass. here’s a photo of his gills maybe something was wrong with that?

IMG_0932.jpeg