Questions about a small tank project.

finn

On 6/29/2024 at 9:17 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

shrimp love moss

I second the moss! The shrimp will graze on it all the time. And the roots of floating plants will also give the shrimp sometbing to graze and hang out on! Plus, they’ll provide a little shade for your Anubias and Java fern (since both are slow growing and tend to collect algae on their leaves). I think both are sort of “bonus plants” 🙂

• Like 3

Another update! I got my hardscape done, including dark forest wood and dragon stone! I am looking into buying plants in my cart right now: Java fern, Java moss, Anubis nana, Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red, and Easy Green, of course. I am looking for around one more plant, unless you think I have too many for this tank (maybe a good floating plant) that I can buy off of the aquarium co-op. Any tips on how to get the plants into the substrate easily without damaging them without planting tweezers? Also, can I separate the Java moss matt? Lastly, do I need to add dechlorinators for only plants?

image.jpeg

• Like 2

On 7/6/2024 at 11:32 AM, finn said:

a good floating plant) that I can buy off of the aquarium co-op

You definitely have a few options there! Water sprite does really well floating (and you can break off a chunk and plant it as well), Pearlweed is super cool and makes a nice big floating mat, and one I’ve recently been living is Brazilian Pennywort. It’s actually super easy to grow and I think it does better floating. It’s a very unique looking plant!

All your other plant choices look great! Can’t wait to see this progress!

Any tips on how to get the plants into the substrate easily without damaging them without planting tweezers?

If the tank isn’t filled up or at least not all the way filled up, it’s pretty easy to do with your hands 🙂 And plus, Java fern and the Anubias don’t require planting. You just attach them to your rocks and wood. If the roots are super long, you could also trim them if they’re making it hard.

can I separate the Java moss matt?

Yep!

• Like 2

On 7/6/2024 at 1:52 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

If the tank isn’t filled up or at least not all the way filled up, it’s pretty easy to do with your hands 🙂 And plus, Java fern and the Anubias don’t require planting. You just attach them to your rocks and wood. If the roots are super long, you could also trim them if they’re making it hard.

Thank you! Can I use any super glue to attach or do I even need super glue?

• Like 1

On 7/6/2024 at 2:25 PM, finn said:

Thank you! Can I use any super glue to attach or do I even need super glue?

The glue bottle should say "cyanoacrylate" on it, but I think everything sold as "super glue" is cyanoacrylate. Can't hurt to double check, though.

On 7/6/2024 at 1:32 PM, finn said:

Another update! I got my hardscape done, including dark forest wood and dragon stone! I am looking into buying plants in my cart right now: Java fern, Java moss, Anubis nana, Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red, and Easy Green, of course. I am looking for around one more plant, unless you think I have too many for this tank (maybe a good floating plant) that I can buy off of the aquarium co-op. Any tips on how to get the plants into the substrate easily without damaging them without planting tweezers? Also, can I separate the Java moss matt? Lastly, do I need to add dechlorinators for only plants?

image.jpeg

The crypt is the only plant you listed that will want to be planted into the substrate. Anubias and Java ferns, as @EricksonAquatics points out, are epiphyte plants. Their roots can go into the substrate if you want, but don't bury the rhizome (the horizontal, thick stem). You could glue the roots or tie with cotton thread* around the rhizome to a piece of wood or a rock. In Mrs. Goldfish's tank, she glued a few epiphytes to rocks and then buried the rocks out of sight.

If you'd like to see all this in action, ACO has a great video on the whole process:

* Cotton will biodegrade in water, but the idea is that by the time it does, the roots of the plant will have "grabbed on" to the wood/rock first, and if you use green, itll be practically invisible. You could also use fishing line, but it won't biodegrade, of course.

• Like 2

Another update: I purchased all my plants and fertilizer (easy green), including Java fern, Java moss mat, Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red, Cryptocoryne Parva, and Anubias nana "petite.". 

Question one:

How long should I wait to dose my plants with fertilizer?

Question two: 

Do I need to dechlorinate my water even if there are only plants and do I need tester strips right away as well?

Question three:

Will my black forest driftwood float to the surface?

• Like 1

On 7/7/2024 at 6:32 PM, finn said:

Question one:

I've heard different opinions about this. One school of thought says that the newly transplanted plants are either too busy converting from their emersed growth state to their new submersed conditions, or that their too busy converting from the previous water parameters to yours, that they won't be able to properly utilize the nutrients anyway.

The other school of thought, and it's one that I subscribe to, says that these plants don't have established roots and need whatever help they can get, and that you'll likely have some amount of algae in a new set up anyway, and that you're going to have to do some frequent water changing with a new tank anyway.

Plus it's 2 Hour Aquarist's approach, and thays good enough for me: https://www.2hraquarist.com/blogs/fertilize-planted-tank/how-soon-do-i-start-dosing-fertilizer-into-a-newly-setup-planted-tank

Question two: 

Do I need to dechlorinate my water even if there are only plants and do I need tester strips right away as well?

Yes. Always dechlorinate. It's a good habit to be in, and you're likely cycling the tank too, right? So you won't want to harm the beneficial bacteria colony. Plus the plants likely have a lot of beneficial bacteria on them already, and you'll want them. Truth be told, I don't know what chlorine does to plants, but I doubt it's anything good.

Question three:

Maybe! You could stick it in water, in a bucket or something, and see. Or just fill the tank and see what happens. Then if it does float, you can wait until it's waterlogged and sinks, or you could just play it safe and glue it to a rock, using a cyanoacrylate glue, even if that rock ends up completely buried by substrate.

If you don't have enough contact area between the wood and the rock, you can wedge a small amount of paper towel between them and add liquid super glue, which will make the paper towel solidify (and also give off noxious fumes, so leave a window open or something).

• Like 2

On 6/28/2024 at 4:58 PM, finn said:

One last question I forgot to ask is: Where should I get my cherry red shrimp when my tank is eventually ready? I heard ordering them online can be a bad idea, but I only have one aquarium store that sells them, and they charge $95 for 10 cherry red neocaridina shrimp, which is insane!

I order my shrimp from the Garden of Eder Shrimp - I actually have some shipping in tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Another update: I purchased all my plants and fertilizer (easy green), including Java fern, Java moss mat, Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red, Cryptocoryne Parva, and Anubias nana "petite.". 

Question one:

Question two: 

Question three:

I would add ferts soon, but also yes i would condition water as well. Just overall good for the tank. So add some fertilizer this week once, and then make a once a week consistent schedule. I would add some root tabs soon as well.

• Like 1

UPDATE! I got the plants today, had a lot of motivation this afternoon, and planted the whole tank! A few mistakes were made, but that makes sense for my first planted tank. I ended up supergluing the java fern on the side of one of the rocks, hoping it would figure it out as it was not touching the substrate directly. Second, I added water (I forgot you needed to shake the water conditioner), then added the conditioner (shaken) right away. The conditioner I have removes chlorine, manages nitrates and ammonia, etc. I broke a couple of roots in the process, which was depressing. I was hoping one of the main stems was still okay. I got liquid superglue all on my hands (I got it off). Lastly, driftwood started floating; we had to drain the tank and secure it. Now there is a white spot from the super glue on the rocks. 😅

Questions:

What are these yellow dots in my Anubis nana, and what should I do with them? 

When should I do my first water change, and should it be 50%?

When should I add my liquid fertilizer?

What should I be on the lookout for?

image.jpeg.645cd4f7b22c445dcb87137a3c143c12.jpegimage.jpeg.17520de1c5d4b8d1c2cfcfe16c5d53ac.jpegimage.jpeg.d5239dce2a6c318cd85a797d0c940913.jpeg

Also, superglued Anubis nana and Java Moss I read that was okay!

• Love 2

On 7/9/2024 at 9:01 PM, finn said:

A few mistakes were made, but that makes sense for my first planted tank.

Absolutely, and I have thought that about every tank I've done. It's kind of a mixed blessing, I guess, but I keep learning, which is good, but leads to look at tanks I've got going and say "if I'd known then what I know now, I'd have done X, Y, and Z differently..." All part of the process! And this first tank of yours looks like it's off to a flying start!

Lastly, driftwood started floating; we had to drain the tank and secure it. Now there is a white spot from the super glue on the rocks. 😅

There are a couple tricks for this. If the glue was still wet, you could sprinkle sand, finely crushed rock, or tiny bits of broken off wood onto the wet glue, and after it dried the sand would help it blend in. Since it's too late for that, your next best trick -- and my preferred method anyway -- is to hide it with a plant! Anubias can cover up a lot!

What are these yellow dots in my Anubis nana, and what should I do with them?

Those little yellow balls in the rock wool are fertilizer, to sustain the plant from when it leaves the nursery until it gets to your tank. You can throw them out.

When should I do my first water change, and should it be 50%?

So you're in the cycling the tank/filter stage now? No reason to change any water yet except aesthetic. That is, you want the ammonia and eventually nitrite to build up so that the population of nitrifying (beneficial) bacteria builds up.

If the water gets cloudy or 'tea stained' with tannins from the wood, you could do a water change if you don't like the look, but neither of those is harmful and the tannins are beneficial. I wouldn't change any water before you're ready to introduce any animals.

When should I add my liquid fertilizer?

I think you can add some now. The anubias and Java ferns are water column feeders, so they'll appreciate it. It will affect your nitrate reading in your testing, though, so be aware of that.

What should I be on the lookout for?

Watch new growth on the plants and watch the nitrogen cycle happening in the tank and filter. Just bear in mind that these are all or mostly slow growing plants, so be patient!

I got liquid superglue all on my hands (I got it off).

Haha, it's a planted tank rite of passage!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

There is a slight cloudiness, but other than that, the water is very clear. I will add some of the easy green. I was considering getting some plants that float at the very top of the tank, such as duckweed, but I think I am going to wait.

Thank you so much for your reply; it is very helpful! 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2024 at 1:20 PM, finn said:

There is a slight cloudiness, but other than that, the water is very clear. I will add some of the easy green. I was considering getting some plants that float at the very top of the tank, such as duckweed, but I think I am going to wait.

Thank you so much for your reply; it is very helpful! 

The cloudiness could have several causes but the most likely is a bacterial bloom. If you just ignore it, it will likely go away on its own.

Floating plants are a great addition, but I'd recommend against duckweed; once it's in your tank you may never get it out. It really earns the "weed" part of its name. It's a fine, easy plant, and soaks up nitrates really effectively, but can be a hassle.

As an alternative, may I suggest Salvinia minima, Salvinia natans, giant duckweed (a very different plant), Amazon frogbit, dwarf water lettuce, or red root floater? I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of, but I think you'd be happier with those than with duckweed.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2024 at 4:42 PM, finn said:

So many options which would you get for my tank I don’t have a preference 

I'm a big fan of red root floater, but it can be finicky, particularly about surface flow, in that it likes basically none at all. Dwarf water lettuce and Amazon frogbit are more robust but get quite long roots, which may or may not be to your liking.

So for my money, I'll say either salvinia. That said, I'll point out that while floating plants can be shipped through the mail, it's rougher on them than on submersed plants, so your best bet is what's at the LFS (or a nearby fellow hobbyist*), and in that case your options may be more limited.

*If you've got a nearby hobbyist, either a fellow fishkeeping friend or a local aquarium club, you might even be able to get floating plants for free. I bring in heaps to my LFS two or three times a month, and often end up tossing whole handfuls.

Edited by Rube_Goldfish
Typo
  • Thanks 1

I have noticed some of my Anubis nana looks to have some holes in their leaves is this normal? Do any other plants look unhealthy? Maybe I am paranoid…

IMG_7265.jpeg

IMG_7266.jpeg

On 7/11/2024 at 8:17 PM, finn said:

My light is a 6500 led my light schedule is 1pm-9pm. 

Oh ok then your fine, 8 hours is perfect for most plants, and with this hardy anubias, it will be just fine, if you do not want it to get worse just trim the leaves of that are yellow, but mine had that the first couple days and now it is thriving, @finn, love the look of the tank!! Great job!

• Like 1

Thank you so much! My plants I think are just weird their roots are growing out of the substrate, and one of the plants roots are all out of the substrate. 😂

image.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/12/2024 at 12:18 PM, finn said:

Thank you so much! My plants I think are just weird their roots are growing out of the substrate, and one of the plants roots are all out of the substrate. 😂

image.jpg

Odd. You can just place them back in, if it comes back up, add more gravel to anchor it down. Or use aquarium coops plant weights. One of mine plants does this a lot. Looks good!!!