Ordering Dried Indian Almond Leaves (Catappa) 4 Betta

Vonz1

Hello,

Have any of you tried adding Indian Almond Leaves to your aquarium to help with health of your betta? Is there a general rule for the number and size (or total weight) of the catappa leaves to use? 

Thank you!!

Edited by Vonz1

I have super hard water with a ton of buffer so I've never noticed a chemical change with almond leaves. But the shrimps and snails love them and they seem to create a nice microfauna ecosystem while breaking down into a nice compost.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Just putting this out there... but why not try whatever dried leaves you have available?  As long as its a non-aromatic plant without obviously strong medicinal properties (shoot for neutral), how much difference is there realistically going to be?  Cellulose is celluose...

I use oak leaves in my tank.  Fish love them.  Free.  

• Like 2

On 6/27/2024 at 2:55 PM, doktor zhivago said:

I have super hard water with a ton of buffer so I've never noticed a chemical change with almond leaves. But the shrimps and snails love them and they seem to create a nice microfauna ecosystem while breaking down into a nice compost.

Good to know about the increase in hard water with a strong buffer. Thank you!

• Like 1

On 6/27/2024 at 2:43 PM, Vonz1 said:

Hello,

Have any of you tried adding Indian Almond Leaves to your aquarium to help with health of your betta? Is there a general rule for the number and size (or total weight) of the catappa leaves to use? 

Thank you!!

Other than what @doktor zhivago stated Almond leaves have antibacterial factors that prevent harmful fungus to develop. 

• Like 2

On 6/27/2024 at 3:05 PM, daggaz said:

Just putting this out there... but why not try whatever dried leaves you have available?  As long as its a non-aromatic plant without obviously strong medicinal properties (shoot for neutral), how much difference is there realistically going to be?  Cellulose is celluose...

Interesting.  Thank you. Not sure about the tannins in oak leave or alternatives. Supposedly the tannins have a significant impact on the health of the betta I have read?

• Like 1

Tannis are an umbrella term for ubiquitous organic chemicals compound found in many many many plant species.  Yes, they have a softening and antimicrobrial property.  But as said, you can get them just about anywhere, and its not the end all is all of parameter control.  Its subtle.  Especially if you already have hard water.  

• Like 3

On 6/27/2024 at 3:05 PM, daggaz said:

I do as well. They have some the same benefits as Almond Leaves.  

• Like 1

I use dried leaves but not necessarily for health reasons. Cory fry like hiding under them once they've sunk, shrimp will use them as a food source, the tannins will tint the water and help lower pH a bit for soft-water fish, etc.

• Like 4