I’m At A Complete Loss (Mystery Snail Issue)

FLFishChik

It’s now been over a month and this dude has not moved from this spot except for me picking him up to check that he’s still alive. He isn’t dead. He’s open, then closed, then open with his siphon out, then closed again all thru the day. I’ve offered food, calcium, sang songs, told jokes… even promised him a nice candlelit dinner… nothing has worked. I don’t know WHAT to do!

ammonia - 0ppm

Nitrites- 0ppm

Nitrates- 25ish ppm

i have hard water (it’s FL, basically liquid rock)

can anyone shed some light as to what’s happening?

IMG_2674.jpeg

• Sad 1

On 6/25/2024 at 3:44 PM, CoryWithAKatana said:

Wow, a month...I guess this guy isn't a sleepy boi. I def agree with GuppySnail something is inhibiting his ability to get some 02. The picture with his trapdoor open wide looks like a big improvement! Just make sure to keep that dish clean. 

He's been doing that on and off for several weeks, he just never stays out long and he NEVER  is in an upright position. if I try to sit him upright, he just ends up on his side. if i put him upside down, he'll move to his side. Im wondering if it's a trapdoor issue, because the trapdoor never fully opens. that pic is as far as it has opened in within the last month.

On 6/25/2024 at 7:15 PM, FLFishChik said:

Also - I realize probably no one can give me a definitive answer, but how long do I keep him in this bowl? What if he never returns to normal? What if he does? Are there such things as Snail meds? I gots LOTS of questions… and I know there probably aren’t answers.

Sadly I have had several snails do this towards the end of their life. A tiny pinch of epsom salt in their tank helped about 50% of the time. 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2024 at 7:44 PM, Guppysnail said:

Sadly I have had several snails do this towards the end of their life. A tiny pinch of epsom salt in their tank helped about 50% of the time. 

I’ll try separating him out tomorrow in a separate tank . I have a 3 gallon I can put him in. For now, I put him back in the 75g just to make sure he’s warm enough overnight (we keep the house at 69F… to chilly fir little Sheldon). I don’t have epsom salt, but I do have aquarium salt. Could I use that? And if so, how much in a 3g tank?

On 6/25/2024 at 9:06 PM, FLFishChik said:

I’ll try separating him out tomorrow in a separate tank . I have a 3 gallon I can put him in. For now, I put him back in the 75g just to make sure he’s warm enough overnight (we keep the house at 69F… to chilly fir little Sheldon). I don’t have epsom salt, but I do have aquarium salt. Could I use that? And if so, how much in a 3g tank?

Please do not use Aquarium salt. Epsom salt is just magnesium and relaxes muscles. Aquarium salt dehydrates. 

Last year, my teen's mystery snail was doing something similar. We placed it in a empty plant net pot attached by suction cup to the glass near the water surface. It stayed that way in the tank for 2 months. Then suddenly, it started roaming around again, like a normal mystery snail. It eventually died 6 months later. I hope you can figure it out.

Edited by HelplessNewbie
  • Like 1