Small tanks

I just watched this video from Cory:

And, it seems a good answer to several newbie struggles:

1) multi tank syndrome -- much easier to incorporate multiple small tanks into the house without looking like a fish store. Yes, it has already hit!  I know that I want more fish than will be able to inhabit my 20g. 

2) multiple small tanks would allow keeping fish that don't get along with each others.

3) room to experiment -- I see some interesting fish but they are labeled "intermediate" or "skilled" that I could try in a small tank. I could also play with riparian aquascapes on a small scale.

4) as beautiful as large aquariums are when managed well, smaller tanks are more manageable for my life challenges.

Thoughts?  

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Nano tanks have been my thing since I started. Some say, a beginner should start with a 20g or higher. But a 5g and 10 gallon or something like that is (imo) a good starter tank. In the right circumstances. Smaller tanks, I think you can have lots more fun with them. A 5g is a great size. Not a size that will have tons and tons of options but you can experiment, with smaller fish, shrimp, and aquascapes. I like these points! Video not showing up for me. Not sure if this is on my side, but it is just white blank space @TinaPax-Peeks. I personally like number 3!

Edited by Whitecloud09
  • Like 3

On 6/23/2024 at 9:17 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Nano tanks have been my thing since I started. Some say, a beginner should start with a 20g or higher. But a 5g and 10 gallon or something like that is (imo) a good starter tank. In the right circumstances. Smaller tanks, I think you can have lots more fun with them. A 5g is a great size. Not a size that will have tons and tons of options but you can experiment, with smaller fish, shrimp, and aquascapes. I like these points! Video not showing up for me. Not sure if this is on my side, but it is just white blank space @TinaPax-Peeks. I personally like number 3!

The video is called "Small tanks, Big Savings".

Yeah, the typical advise for newbies is "no smaller than 20g" because supposedly the chemistry is easier and more options for mixing fish. However, that mixing of fish turns into a personality lottery. Seems easier to just go "separate but equal" and enjoy the fish that appeals to me without worrying about who gets along with whom. 😉

• Like 2
  • Love 1

It seems like the trade-off for small tanks vs larger tanks for a new fishkeeper is a lower financial barrier to entry into the hobby, at the cost of it being more unforgiving to (for want of a better word) sloppy technique.

I guess like how it might be cheaper to buy fat wax crayons than Copic art pens, but you wont be able to colour between the lines on a fine drawing as easily.

• Like 2

And here I am trying to convince my wife to throw the television out once and for all and go for wall-to-wall aquarium in the living room.  

"Baby, we can grow our own food.."

• Haha 4

@Gastroplod I agree totally. Cheaper? Yes. Better? Not really.
@TinaPax-Peeks I don’t play the state lottery nor the personality lottery, I keep species only aquariums. I won’t go smaller than 75 gallons. Even then, fish sometimes aren’t compatible. Personality has much less to do with it than territory, breeding, hierarchy issues, etc. 

If smaller aquariums are your thing then by all means, go for it and enjoy. However, as this is documented for future newbies, it’s important to highlight how fast things can go wrong in a small aquarium as opposed to its larger counterpart. Add the newbie factor and I’d always recommend a beginner begin with a minimum 20-29 gallon. I understand I am probably in the minority on this forum. 

Edited by mynameisnobody
  • Like 2

On 6/23/2024 at 8:54 PM, TinaPax-Peeks said:

And, it seems a good answer to several newbie struggles:

1) multi tank syndrome -- much easier to incorporate multiple small tanks into the house without looking like a fish store. Yes, it has already hit!  I know that I want more fish than will be able to inhabit my 20g. 

2) multiple small tanks would allow keeping fish that don't get along with each others.

3) room to experiment -- I see some interesting fish but they are labeled "intermediate" or "skilled" that I could try in a small tank. I could also play with riparian aquascapes on a small scale.

4) as beautiful as large aquariums are when managed well, smaller tanks are more manageable for my life challenges.

Thoughts?

Over the years my aquarium size progression has gone: fish bowl, 10, 29, 75, 29,10, 5.  Due to a near total lack of knowledge, my initial 10 gallon experience wasn't that great.  I have 3 other large sizes, but the 29 and 10 are my favorite 'small' tank for the reasons you mentioned.   

On 6/24/2024 at 2:11 AM, Gastroplod said:

It seems like the trade-off for small tanks vs larger tanks for a new fishkeeper is a lower financial barrier to entry into the hobby, at the cost of it being more unforgiving to (for want of a better word) sloppy technique.

When adults or young children are the fishkeepers, it is also a smaller loss when they decide that they are done with the aquarium, especially when children are involved. 

• Like 1

I got some smaller 2.5 gal tanks to keep guppies/fry separated. They are utilitarian, unheated, and work great.
The main difference is I do water changes every week rather than once every two-three weeks in the larger tanks.

Even with plants there's less water volume and surface area - meaning your organics and waste will accumulate much faster.
On the plus side, doing water changes on tiny tanks is easy. 

Edited by sumplkrum
  • Like 5

On 6/24/2024 at 10:09 AM, Tanked said:

When adults or young children are the fishkeepers, it is also a smaller loss when they decide that they are done with the aquarium, especially when children are involved.

This was the deciding factor for us: kids. In our home, we parents end up taking care of all the pets, including the wet ones.

Here are our pro-cons...

Multiple Small Tanks Pro's:

- Faster water changes

- In case of leaks, less water damage

- Less worry about weight/load capacity of the stand and the floor it will placed upon

- if last resort is to medicate the tank, less medication is needed

Multiple Small Tanks Con's:

- Less space for larger fish or for fish that need the room, so more likely restricts choices to nano fish or to fish that don't need to be in bigger groups

- More equipment and accessories to buy, maintain and manage, particularly if one considers automation and power backups (besides a tank and fish, we had to buy plants, filters, substrate, heaters, stand, power strips or UPS, leak detectors, light timers/controls, meters)

- can tolerate less frequent water changes (helpful for us since I am disabled)

In the end, we ended with both: 3 small tanks and 1 tank that to us is large (65g). Each tank cost us more money than intended, but because we learned with the 3 smaller tanks, the setup/per-gallon cost of the 65g was actually lower.

The way I see it, though, it was all worth it for the joy our tanks bring. When I am bedridden for days on end, I have a little piece of nature right in my room (and accessible through cameras)! Looking upon the animals and plants cheers me right up.

So, yeah, do it the way that makes sense and brings joy to you!

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 6/24/2024 at 6:00 PM, HelplessNewbie said:

.The way I see it, though, it was all worth it for the joy our tanks bring. When I am bedridden for days on end, I have a little piece of nature right in my room (and accessible through cameras)! Looking upon the animals and plants cheers me right up.

So, yeah, do it the way that makes sense and brings joy to you!

This.  1000% this.

• Like 3

7 gallon cube. Heavily planted, gravel substrate, shrimp, snails, 3 guppies, 1 hillstream, lots of microfauna. No water changes, just top it off. No gravel vaccing.  I really enjoy this small tank. :classic_biggrin:.  That being said, I also now have a 100 gallon stock tub outside! :classic_laugh:. They both bring me joy in thier own ways!

20240623_173726.jpg

20240521_110826.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I let someone convince me that my TFBs were suffering in my 29 gallon aquarium.  They were fine, but the Pleco was a little cramped.  I wanted to keep larger and more fish so I upgraded to a 75, and sold the 29.  Years later, I acquired second hand 29,10 and 5 gallon tanks. They each have a different look and function.  My only regret was selling the original 29 tank.  With the arrival of the internet, small tank fishkeeping has become easier, and less risky for us and the fish. 

Referring back to @HelplessNewbie's comments, "...all worth it for the joy our tanks bring", It is all about the joy.   In her waning years, mom spent hours just watching my aquariums, which gave both of us joy.  Years later the camera on one of my small tanks allows me to see fish behaving in a way that I could not see if I was in the same room.  It also allows me to put an aquarium in every room with no additional maintenance or cost

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 6/24/2024 at 6:00 PM, HelplessNewbie said:

- More equipment and accessories to buy, maintain and manage, particularly if one considers automation and power backups (besides a tank and fish, we had to buy plants, filters, substrate, heaters, stand, power strips or UPS, leak detectors, light timers/controls, meters)

You can use some tricks to minimize equipment.

• Use one light to go across multiple tanks.
• I use one co-op air pump for the sponge filters in five tanks via a gang valve. Plus it has the battery backup feature.
• Rather than heaters, you can use reptile heat tape to warm multiple tanks in a row (needs a thermostat). — Or go unheated depending on your fish.

Three electrical plugs would cover the whole setup.

• Like 2