Quarantine questions

I really don't want to quarantine fish as I begin stocking my first tank.  But, I *really* don't want to have our fish start dying because I tried to go the easy route.

1) I assume a quarantine tank doesn't need to be cycled. Right or wrong?

2) what is the easiest way to set up a quarantine tank? What must it have? 

3) would even the very first fish need to go in the quarantine tank?

Tell me if this plan is reasonable:

While my 20g continues to cycle, get the first two types of fish and put one type in the 20g and the other in quarantine tank. When those are added to 20g, get next group. And, repeat. But, 

4) what about the quarantine water? I guess there will be a lot of water changes.

On 6/21/2024 at 9:10 AM, TinaPax-Peeks said:

I really don't want to quarantine fish as I begin stocking my first tank.  But, I *really* don't want to have our fish start dying because I tried to go the easy route.

2) what is the easiest way to set up a quarantine tank? What must it have? 

Tell me if this plan is reasonable:

While my 20g continues to cycle, get the first two types of fish and put one type in the 20g and the other in quarantine tank. When those are added to 20g, get next group. And, repeat. But, 

4) what about the quarantine water? I guess there will be a lot of water changes.

1) No doesn’t have to be cycled but some aquarist toss in a seeded sponge filter. I don't use meds immediately I personally observe the fish for awhile. 

2) I use a bare bottom aquarium and heater if necessary maybe a couple of plants to make fish feel secure. 

3)I would because sometimes a new fish may be infected with internal parasites. You may not know that right away. 

4) Yes water changes when needed especially during treatment using medication. @TinaPax-Peeks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For 3. Basically a tank with no fish is a quarantine tank. Just observe them there for a month. If you need to treat, you can do it there. I don’t usually use any medication unless they show symptoms. That being said, wild caught fish can be assumed to have some sort of parasite. Especially puffers. 

For 4. If you have a seeded sponge filter. You have transferred the cycle intact. So no more changes than regular. Just watch the parameters. And if you need to treat you may lose your cycle anyway. If you treat you’ll need to disinfect your sponge 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1. Preferably you have an active sponge filter you can drop in.
If not, watch for ammonia regularly and do water changes to cancel any buildup. If you have some floating plants you don't care about, you can toss them in to eat excess ammonia - but dispose of the plants when your quarantine is done. If you are using meds, they might beat them up (especially salt), if they start dying remove them so they don't make waste.

2. You can use any plastic safe tub plus a sponge filter. A heater if fish the fish need it. 

3. Worms and parasites will get into the gravel/media of your main tank. The point of the quarantine is to make sure none of that touches you new tank environment. If a new fish turns out to be sick, you want it to be sick outside of that tank.

4. Follow the directions for the meds if you're using them. Also test daily for ammonia. A seeded sponge filter helps a lot, but you still have to check to avoid any surprises.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@TinaPax-Peeks I guess all of this depends on what you're quarantining for. If they're sick, out of the main tank is preferred. If you're just doing observation of a solo species in the tank is fine. There is a technique for using a quarantine trio of meds. Honestly, I would never use that. It calls for using those meds at partial strength. Meds at partial strength is a surefire way to increase antibiotic resistance. This hobby already has a problem with that. The best way to quarantine is just isolation and observation. for an entire month. this makes sure that anything they might have, you'll see it. then you can treat. If you don't see anything, don't treat. It's expensive and unnecessary if nothing is observed. For parasites, it depends on where you buy from. If it's a reputable source, the chance of parasites is usually negligible. So, quarantining one type of fish for a month in the main tank is very acceptable. also give you some interesting to look at in that tank. 

Wild caught or iffy sources changes the equation completely

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Right AND wrong LOL. If you keep the water clear via water changes, no it doesn't need to be cycled. But if you have to add meds, then that may affect your ability to change water, so...

2a) what is the easiest way to set up a quarantine tank?

• bare bottom, cheap light (mostly to observe), handful of fake decos and plants to provide structure. heater or no depends on the fish, and ambient temp. often i like to use a cheap hob so i can run carbon in the filter, or a basic coarse sponge. 

2b) What must it have? 

• Air. Enough to oxygenate, and circulate. 

• this risk of not quarantining first fish is they could bring in something that can persist in the water. parasites, spores/cycsts/eggs, etc. It's a lot easier to treat a small 5-10 gallon hospital tank than a 20 or larger. 

Tell me if this plan is reasonable: While my 20g continues to cycle, get the first two types of fish and put one type in the 20g and the other in quarantine tank. When those are added to 20g, get next group. And, repeat. 

• Is it reasonable? Yes. Is it the only option or path? No. 

• not sure what you're asking.

I'd add this extra comment. You're asking all the right questions, so I'd venture to say that you already have a good understanding of the risks and benefits of the various choices before you. I think that whatever you choose will work, because you'll have made a balanced, well-informed decision that is based on your needs and concerns. 

Edited by TOtrees
  • Like 3

On 6/21/2024 at 3:16 PM, TOtrees said:

• Right AND wrong LOL. If you keep the water clear via water changes, no it doesn't need to be cycled. But if you have to add meds, then that may affect your ability to change water, so...

This is where I want to throw in the towel on quarantine.  I am still waiting to get my first tank cycled. I don't have a "seeded" sponge to use in a quarantine tank. 

On 6/21/2024 at 3:16 PM, TOtrees said:

• not sure what you're asking.

This question stems from my response above.  I don't have an easy way to have a quarantine tank with cycled water and/or a seeded filter.  Thus, the thought that I will need to do frequent water changes to keep ahead of ammonia. But, whether I add salt to the water prophylactically or need to medicate, water changes will really get complicated and expensive.

Thanks for your responses and encouragement.  I know there are no easy answers and many ways to do any particular thing.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2024 at 3:41 PM, TinaPax-Peeks said:

I don't have a "seeded" sponge to use in a quarantine tank.

yeah, I didn't either. so much easier though. and to be perfectly honest. I haven't ever used much of a quarantine tank.  and I know very well we should. And could be very costly. I honestly just haven't. you'd be surprised on how many who know better haven't. right up until it bites you in the b***. It's your tank, your animals, we can tell you how. It's still your decision. 

You're always taking a risk bringing in new animals. Is quarantine well advised, absolutely. Do we do what we should always. Well, my dr. says lay of the sugar and get more exercise.  so, no we don't. We should quarantine, but how often does it get done?

Wait! Stop me right there! I had 2 tanks I just cycled for some new fish! 1 with juvenile angels, 1 with 2 pair of guppies. Only thing in those tanks. Those tanks count as quarantine.  I guess we learn things after all. Even unintentionally🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

After patiently doing a fishless cycle on my first (and at the time only) tank, I decided that it was my quarantine tank and put my first fish in it. Two weeks later, I added my second set of fish, from the same local fish store (LFS). I took a chance, but it worked out, but I don't know how risk averse you are.

If and when you ever decide to set up a quarantine tank/tub, @Irene has a great how-to on doing it quickly and easily:

• Like 2

On 6/21/2024 at 3:41 PM, TinaPax-Peeks said:

This is where I want to throw in the towel on quarantine.  I am still waiting to get my first tank cycled. I don't have a "seeded" sponge to use in a quarantine tank. 

This question stems from my response above.  I don't have an easy way to have a quarantine tank with cycled water and/or a seeded filter.  Thus, the thought that I will need to do frequent water changes to keep ahead of ammonia. But, whether I add salt to the water prophylactically or need to medicate, water changes will really get complicated and expensive.

Thanks for your responses and encouragement.  I know there are no easy answers and many ways to do any particular thing.

Quarantine or not, water changes will get intense at some point or another. Things pop up and all of a sudden your usual maintenance got longer and much more expensive. Welcome to the hobby. It’s a great hobby, but cheap it is not. 

• Like 2

Every time I haven’t quarantined fish I’ve regretted it. Maybe I’ve just had some bad luck that matched with when I thought “it’ll be fine” but it has always come back to bite me at some point. And then I feel silly because I have everything to do it effectively and I should’ve just done it. The piece of mind for me alone is worth it. 

Also, at this point I’ve spent 4 years building and maintaining super healthy ecosystems. It’s worth the time, energy, and resources to ensure the new fish do not upset the healthy ecosystem. 

I guess I’m the odd one out here that does in fact quarantine with meds. I do the trio and let it marinate for a week, and then do another 5 weeks or so after that to ensure something doesn’t pop up. Again, the time and resources is worth it to me to ensure I don’t disrupt the healthy ecosystem of the display tank. 

As far as the tank itself, I use bare bottom 10 gallon tanks with a small ACO sponge filter and a small heater. From there, I’ll throw some Java Moss or PSO in there and viola, you have a quarantine tank. I’ve never personally seen meds crash the cycle. 

Once the fish get moved to the display tank, I keep the snails in there and feed them a couple of times per week to keep the cycle going. 

There is always many ways to get to where you want to go. This is just my method and has worked well for me for the past 4 years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/22/2024 at 12:12 AM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Every time I haven’t quarantined fish I’ve regretted it. Maybe I’ve just had some bad luck that matched with when I thought “it’ll be fine” but it has always come back to bite me at some point. And then I feel silly because I have everything to do it effectively and I should’ve just done it. The piece of mind for me alone is worth it. 

Also, at this point I’ve spent 4 years building and maintaining super healthy ecosystems. It’s worth the time, energy, and resources to ensure the new fish do not upset the healthy ecosystem. 

I talked it over with my hubby and he agrees that we should be cautious and do the quarantine process. Our local PetSmart has tanks on sale so I will pick up a small tank and other supplies to do this thing.

On 6/22/2024 at 12:12 AM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

There is always many ways to get to where you want to go. This is just my method and has worked well for me for the past 4 years. 

Thank you for sharing your method. My goal is to have a healthy ecosystem for my fish. Sometimes, allot of times, I over analyze and get in a mental tangle. Far too often, I let perfect get in the way of progress. 

On 6/21/2024 at 9:25 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

After patiently doing a fishless cycle on my first (and at the time only) tank, I decided that it was my quarantine tank and put my first fish in it. Two weeks later, I added my second set of fish, from the same local fish store (LFS). I took a chance, but it worked out, but I don't know how risk averse you are.

If and when you ever decide to set up a quarantine tank/tub, @Irene has a great how-to on doing it quickly and easily:

Hubby and I are pretty risk averse. I listened to a podcast of KGTropicals on quarantining last night. They mentioned that for the first set of fish, the tank IS the quarantine tank. After that, a separate tank is needed for quarantine.

I love @Irene. That video is very helpful although I don't think I will be using the meds process. At this point, I am thinking salt and observation. 

Edited by TinaPax-Peeks
Correct spelling
  • Like 4

On 6/22/2024 at 4:21 AM, TinaPax-Peeks said:

They mentioned that for the first set of fish, the tank IS the quarantine tank. After that, a separate tank is needed for quarantine.

That can be true. 

I don’t mind prophylactically treating my fish. Just like I vaccinate my dog, or myself for that matter. It’s worth it to me for the longevity of the ecosystem and piece of mind should I ever want to add another species to the tank. 

I’ve had species only tanks and took the “well, this IS their quarantine tank” route and still looked back and went “ya… I should’ve just not been lazy and put them through the whole process, and then moved them to this display species only tank”. 

To each their own. You gotta find what works best for you and what you’re comfortable with. 

• Like 2