High ph stem plant recommendations

Hello, I am looking for some stem plants (preferably fast-growing) that can handle my ph of 7.8. I have tried Water Wisteria, but I had a magnesium deficiency a while back that wiped them out. So far, Ludwigia Arucuata is doing excellent in my tank. The H. Corymbosa/Angustofolia are good, but my Angelfish snacks on the leaves from time to time. Additionally, I have Bacopa Monnieri as well. Any recommendations? 

Edited by TwoFace99

Mexican oak leaf grows very well in my low tech 8.2 water.  I would highly recommend it.  It also seems less prone to losing the lower leaves in less than ideal light conditions than other stem plants I've tried.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2024 at 1:35 AM, TwoFace99 said:

I am looking for some stem plants (preferably fast-growing) that can handle my ph of 7.8

actually, most plant will handle that ph just fine. That just means you have an abundance of minerals in the water. Plants will love that. With possible exceptions of java fern and moss.

I second @Tony s! My pH is around 8.4 and I still don’t have too much trouble growing stem plants. You should not have many problems with your pH being much lower than mine😂

I don’t think high pH affects plants as much as we think… it has an effect, but nothing very noticeable in my experience. 

Edited by EricksonAquatics
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2024 at 7:29 AM, JettsPapa said:

Mexican oak leaf grows very well in my low tech 8.2 water.  I would highly recommend it.  It also seems less prone to losing the lower leaves in less than ideal light conditions than other stem plants I've tried.

I looked up the plant, and it reminds me of a bigger leaf variant of Water Wisteria. Lol. It’s a nice plant. 

On 6/17/2024 at 10:15 AM, Tony s said:

rotala should work fine

I thought Rotala were one of those plant species that are required to have CO2 injections like Alternarnathera? I looked on Buce Plant for example, and they show the a lot of them having CO2 levels needed for the care of the plant. If not, do you have any particular favorites? 
image.png.198403a43247723d6c7a56f22d8dc944.png

image.png.d4369161d46396a2c715f87be4d8dea4.png

On 6/17/2024 at 10:50 AM, Tony s said:

actually, most plant will handle that ph just fine. That just means you have an abundance of minerals in the water. Plants will love that. With possible exceptions of java fern and moss.

Oh, no problem then. Thank you. 

On 6/17/2024 at 12:25 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

I second @Tony s! My pH is around 8.4 and I still don’t have too much trouble growing stem plants. You should not have many problems with your pH being much lower than mine😂

I don’t think high pH affects plants as much as we think… it has an effect, but nothing very noticeable in my experience. 

Even better. Thanks. 😊 

• Like 2

On 6/17/2024 at 2:08 PM, Tony s said:

orange juice looks cool and only co2 recommended. Explains what happened to my alternanthera. The site where I got it didn't say co2 required

Yeah, I be hopping between several websites and store pages, whenever I see conflicting information on plant species like this. 

• Like 1