AquaClear 70 Power Filter

Would like all thoughts good and bad on this hob. I have had it with my Tidal 75. This will just be a backup for my 407. Mostly just course sponge and floss to polish no bio. I have read that if you keep your water level up it will self prime. Can anyone confirm? What about bypass nothing can be as bad as the Tidal Has anyone had to make a mod and if so why?

• Like 1

Yes. All 4 of my Aquaclears (1x30, 2x50s, 1x70) self prime as long as the water level is high enough in the tank and the basket does not empty itself during a power out or such. However, if the water level goes below the motor basket level during a water change, it empties. Then ofcourse it cant prime in such scenario.

I like my AC70, I use it as only filter in my 100x40x40cm/160 liter tank.

The only problem I have ever had with ACs to this day is, sometimes their impeller dont function directly when you plug it in back, I believe its magnetic and may get stuck? 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2024 at 11:15 AM, mynameisnobody said:

I have 6 110’s and 1 70 and I love them. I don’t even research anything else. Unless something is introduced that is a literal game changer, then I love/trust the tried and true. 

So far I have only looked at the 70 and I see a lot of comments about the pump not starting back up. Not a priming issue but a not spinning issue.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2024 at 8:35 PM, Airborne 82nd said:

So far I have only looked at the 70 and I see a lot of comments about the pump not starting back up. Not a priming issue but a not spinning issue.

that happens to one of my 50s too. And recently started happening of 70 as well but I have never cleaned the motor/impeller part of my hobs so maybe thats why.

When you slightly touch it, itstarts working. As it said, it is probably magnetic and it may get stuck. But in my experience this usually happens when I do a water change so the basket gets empty

• Like 1

On 6/15/2024 at 8:49 PM, mynameisnobody said:

I clean hob’s with impeller once per month on all units

you should show me how sometime :')  Im scared to damage it while cleaning

• Like 2

Aquaclear was the number hob filter for years. I was interested in the tidal but never got one. I have 2 Aquaclear 70's on two separate aquariums. I agree with @Lennieabout the water level and self priming. I also use Marineland  hob filters never had a priming issue but the filter housing doesn't compare to the aquaclear. 

Edited by Tlindsey
  • Like 1

I’ve used them all. Aqueon Quiet Flow, Fluval C2, Tetra Whisper, Seachem Tidal, Marineland Penguin, and nothing is better than Aquaclear. Everything else seems way over engineered for no good reason and is cartridge oriented, which makes for a less than optimal experience if you want to use your own media.

Aquaclears move lots of water, have a huge and wide open media chamber that you can put anything in you’d like, and just keep kicking no matter what.

Also, for those of you with the impeller startup issue, I’ve got a tip: take your filter plug and rapidly plug/unplug it in your outlet (generally just barely putting it in the outlet and wiggling it back and fourth is the best) and generally the impeller will be shaken free. I’ve used this trick with Aquaclears and Fluval canisters for years.

Edited by DallasCowboys16
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2024 at 12:46 AM, DallasCowboys16 said:

I’ve used them all. Aqueon Quiet Flow, Fluval C2, Tetra Whisper, Seachem Tidal, Marineland Penguin, and nothing is better than Aquaclear. Everything else seems way over engineered for no good reason and is cartridge oriented, which makes for a less than optimal experience if you want to use your own media.

Aquaclears move lots of water, have a huge and wide open media chamber that you can put anything in you’d like, and just keep kicking no matter what.

Also, for those of you with the impeller startup issue, I’ve got a tip: take your filter plug and rapidly plug/unplug it in your outlet (generally just barely putting it in the outlet and wiggling it back and fourth is the best) and generally the impeller will be shaken free. I’ve used this trick with Aquaclears and Fluval canisters for years.

That is a great t tip. I've used my little pinky finger many times 😆

@DallasCowboys16 thanks for sharing. 

Edited by Tlindsey