Feeding every other day?

Is there anything inherently wrong with this? All my fish aren't babies...and I feel like I overfeed some so I feel like it keeps nitrate levels low.

But im curious if there is any reason I shouldn't be doing this?

• Like 1

As long as they’re not showing signs of being underfed, every other day is fine, you’re not going to starve them. If they start to lose weight, feed more. Or feed every day still, but half as much 

• Like 2

On 6/6/2024 at 9:56 PM, Mercfh said:

Is there anything inherently wrong with this? All my fish aren't babies...and I feel like I overfeed some so I feel like it keeps nitrate levels low.

But im curious if there is any reason I shouldn't be doing this?

There are various factors such as size , species, and maturity. Most fry should definitely be fed daily but from experience my older fish get fed every other day. My pipefish must be fed plenty of bbs daily without skipping a day. 

I also will skip a day with smaller fish. If your fish are healthy they will be fine or like stated by @Tony s feed less daily. 

• Like 2

It depends on your goals and your fish. Bear in mind, hungry fish tend to forget the "Fish are friends, not food" rule. Fat, happy, well-fed fish are more inclined to hang around for the next handout than hunt down tankmates who might be bite-size. If you're trying to optimize the size of the fish, you want food constantly available. The more you feed them the more they'll grow. If you're trying to breed fish, they're more inclined to put the effort into laying eggs or having fry if they know there's adequate food around for the fry. They're also somewhat less likely to munch on the fry if they're well fed. 

• Like 1