On 6/6/2024 at 7:05 PM, plantedtanks1052 said:

Hi i have rubbermaid tub in Stockton ca that i just cycled and i want keep a single texas cichlid in with live plants year round. Would this be good idea for stocking it?

Some cichlid species are very boisterous and hard on plants. My convict cichlid digs alot and tears up plants but that's typical. 

On 6/6/2024 at 6:05 PM, plantedtanks1052 said:

Hi i have rubbermaid tub in Stockton ca that i just cycled and i want keep a single texas cichlid in with live plants year round. Would this be good idea for stocking it?

You mean outside? It’ll need a thermostat heater. If I’m not mistaken, Stockton, CA is colder than southern Texas / northern Mexico.

I agree with the comment above about cichlids like the Texas disturbing plants, though. Are there other fish species you’re interested in?

• Like 1

On 6/6/2024 at 8:56 PM, plantedtanks1052 said:

Its a 150 gallon. I would  consider green sunfish, bluegills, florida flagfish,rosy red minnows or paradise fish. I also have 400 watt heater in it too.

Sunfishes like greenies and bluegill are a blast, too! To me, they’re just as cool as cichlids, but suited for North America’s temperate climate. 😁

• Like 2

Texas cichlid is a no go. You are outside the freezing zones of the north but San Fran area drops to 40’s too consistently for the cichlid to do well.

Best bet is sunfish or minnows. But still keep the heater at its lowest setting so it’ll turn on during the cold spells.

• Like 3