Undergravel container pond. The most natural setup?

Posted (edited)

Setting up an outdoor, ecosystem pond. Inspired from a stream from a mountain that I visited. Under gravel setup with the Easy Flow kit. Run with the Co-Op Air Pump with battery backup. USB solar panel. The air pump effectively operate 24/7 by itself with no additional electricity. I lived in Southern California so there is a lot of sunlight. The battery backup will last the entire night after the sun is down, and charge right back up as soon as the sun is out again. I run the air pump at 90% instead of 100%. The battery backup do not last the entire night if I use 100%. I don't think it really impact the flow. It speak to how effective the Easy Flow Kit is. One potential issue is the long-term accumulation of detritus at the bottom of the tray. A solution is to remove the curve tubing of the airlift. Insert a hose down and drain out the detritus occasionally. 

Items used:

40 gallon container.

x4 8x8x16 cinder blocks.

1 bag of Pea Gravel.

ALEGI Plastic Grid Divider Tray from Amazon.

Soshine Mini USB Solar Panel from Amazon.

Aquarium Co-Op Easy Flow Kit.

Aquarium Co-Op Air Pump with battery backup.

Black vinyl tubing. *to fill in the gap between the under gravel tray and container.

IMG_4866.jpeg

IMG_4867.jpeg

IMG_4870.jpeg

IMG_4903.jpeg

Edited by rgb_aquarium
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

On 6/2/2024 at 8:46 PM, rgb_aquarium said:

Setting up an outdoor, ecosystem pond. Inspired from a stream from a mountain that I visited. Under gravel setup with the Easy Flow kit. Run with the Co-Op Air Pump with battery backup. USB solar panel. The air pump effectively operate 24/7 by itself with no additional electricity. I lived in Southern California so there is a lot of sunlight. The battery backup will last the entire night after the sun is down, and charge right back up as soon as the sun is out again. I run the air pump at 90% instead of 100%. The battery backup do not last the entire night if I use 100%. I don't think it really impact the flow. It speak to how effective the Easy Flow Kit is. One potential issue is the long-term accumulation of detritus at the bottom of the tray. A solution is to remove the curve tubing of the airlift. Insert a hose down and drain out the detritus occasionally. 

Items used:

40 gallon container.

x4 8x8x16 cinder blocks.

1 bag of Pea Gravel.

ALEGI Plastic Grid Divider Tray from Amazon.

Soshine Mini USB Solar Panel from Amazon.

Aquarium Co-Op Easy Flow Kit.

Aquarium Co-Op Air Pump with battery backup.

Black vinyl tubing. *to fill in the gap between the under gravel tray and container.

IMG_4866.jpeg

IMG_4867.jpeg

IMG_4870.jpeg

IMG_4903.jpeg

I've never set up a pond, so maybe this is an obvious thing, but why put it on the cinder blocks? Is it a temperature/air flow thing? Because I'd be worried about bumping in to it.

But this is very cool!

On 6/5/2024 at 10:33 AM, Rube_Goldfish said:

I've never set up a pond, so maybe this is an obvious thing, but why put it on the cinder blocks? Is it a temperature/air flow thing? Because I'd be worried about bumping in to it.

But this is very cool!

Just to raise it off the ground. Easier to do water change, viewing, catching fishes, etc. Cinder block is the cheapest thing I can use.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2024 at 2:21 PM, rgb_aquarium said:

Just to raise it off the ground. Easier to do water change, viewing, catching fishes, etc. Cinder block is the cheapest thing I can use.

Ah, see, that's likely one of those things I would have had to learn the hard way! Thanks!