Hole in the head disease

JosiahBass

Hello, my pet Bass has had a mild case of what I believe to be hole in the head disease. I tried (Fritz paracleanse) and it turn the water extremely cloudy. I change 80% of the water in his tank and it got much better. Then I tried the treatment again and the same thing  happened so I changed 80% of the water again and the tank cleared up. My pet Oscar also got hole in the head 4 days ago (I use the same siphon on those 2 tanks) I followed the treatment plan and he has fully recovered since he got sick. The only difference is the oscars tank has a sponge filter will my bass tank uses hang on the back filters (with carbon)(which I removed during treatment as the directions said). I am now trying a salt treatment on my bass tank. Any advice to help him to recover or other medications would be helpful.

Thank you,

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2024 at 3:10 PM, JosiahBass said:

Bro, I was asking for help not hate.

I am sorry, I was just mentioning colu so he might be able to help you…. I was not hating, idk what that means, but I am not trying to start something…..😕 my bad. @JosiahBass….

pictures would be great. I read that crystal clear water helps a lot, more frequent water changes and such, agree with @jwcarlson

Edited by Whitecloud09
  • Like 1

HITH can be caused by a lot of stuff.  But there's about a 90% chance that it's water quality related (and probably things you can't test for).  Get yourself set up to give your fish pristine water (large, frequent changes).  I'm talking 90% every day or every other day.  Keep that up for a month or so and see how it looks.

Do you have any pictures?

• Like 1

On 5/26/2024 at 3:50 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

I am sorry, I was just mentioning colu so he might be able to help you…. I was not hating, idk what that means, but I am not trying to start something…..😕 my bad. @JosiahBass….

pictures would be great. I read that crystal clear water helps a lot, more frequent water changes and such, agree with @jwcarlson

My bad I misunderstood, I don't want to start anything either.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2024 at 5:45 PM, JosiahBass said:

My bad I misunderstood, I don't want to start anything either.

Oh ok, your good, glad you dont want to either. 

Idk why i said he might know the disease, i ment he might know about some more info on treatment care etc. 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2024 at 3:55 PM, jwcarlson said:

HITH can be caused by a lot of stuff.  But there's about a 90% chance that it's water quality related (and probably things you can't test for).  Get yourself set up to give your fish pristine water (large, frequent changes).  I'm talking 90% every day or every other day.  Keep that up for a month or so and see how it looks.

Do you have any pictures?

Alright I will try that here is a picimage.jpeg.e7f2043f7d0e61aca2a6cffc021d7021.jpeg        

It's not bad but I am still not going to ignore it. Plus I can tell he has lost energy and some of his appetite.

On 5/26/2024 at 6:01 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Maybe if you treat with maracyn that could help. But water quality is so imphasied for HITH disease, it can be a game changer, but if it starts getting worse medication might be needed @JosiahBass, that is my 2 cents lol

Alright, thanks. I appreciate your (2 cents). I will look into the (maracyn).

• Like 1

On 5/27/2024 at 12:54 AM, JosiahBass said:

Alright, thanks. I appreciate your (2 cents). I will look into the (maracyn).

Hole in the head can be caused by a number of things such as poor water quality as other have mentioned nutritional deficiency Hexamita parasite the most effective treatment is metronidazole in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 3 weeks you can use seachems metroplex or fritz metrocleanse and keep good water parameters parameters I would look at what your feeding just in case something missing from it diet 

1000000024.png

• Love 1

On 5/26/2024 at 8:34 PM, Colu said:

Hole in the head can be caused by a number of things such as poor water quality as other have mentioned nutritional deficiency Hexamita parasite the most effective treatment is metronidazole in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 3 weeks you can use seachems metroplex or fritz metrocleanse and keep good water parameters parameters I would look at what your feeding just in case something missing from it diet 

1000000024.png

Thank you, I am having a hard time finding MetroPlex, is there something else that would work in its place?

On 5/27/2024 at 1:09 PM, JosiahBass said:

Thank you, I am having a hard time finding MetroPlex, is there something else that would work in its place?

Fritz metrocleanse or hikari metro+