Columnaris or something else?

bubsthename

Posted (edited)

Have had betta for over a month now, purchased from Petco. 

He typically lives in cycled 5 gallon tank with 1 nerite snail & excellent/steady water parameters. Weekly water changes, heater, sponge filter, plants. Weekly water testing using API strips and ammonia kit.

He is currently in emergency tank 2.5 gallon with 1 gallon of distilled water - I initially started with salt per aquarium coops usage instructions and then I moved him to second emergency tank with <50 ppm hydrogen peroxide overnight. Emergency tank parameters as follows:

Temp - 78.6 F
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
PH - 6.5
KH - 0
GH - 15 
ammonia - 0

I initially thought he may have velvet due to some of the coloring he has but now I am wondering if this is Columnaris? Pics attached, there is a white spot above eye that I had always thought was his coloring but now that he is sick I am wondering if this is actually a sign of the disease. His symptoms are as follows:

- underwater labored breathing started a week or so ago but I did not think anything of it since this is my first fish and the whole process is new to me - hindsight 2020
- about 4 days ago he went from loving food to not eating anything
- two days ago he went from being active all the time to extreme lethargy - laying in his hut (on his side sometimes) all day long, now he is just floating toward the surface with his nose at the surface. I noticed a couple times him flashing around his tank erratically and rubbing on stuff but he is mostly just lethargic
- when he goes to take a surface breath out of water he clearly struggles a lot like he is gasping multiple times and just can't catch a breath, over and over again

My guy is dying and there are no fish vets around here - have done so much research, but I still don't have the knowledge to help him it seems. Thinking I should order Seachem Kanaplex & Jungle Fungus Clear Tabs overnight from Amazon in hopes that if it is Columnaris it would help. Feel like I have already put him through so much stress trying to help him though so any insight would be so appreciated. Thank you!

IMG_3913.jpeg

Edited by bubsthename
Add info

On 5/23/2024 at 3:09 PM, bubsthename said:

Have had betta for over a month now, purchased from Petco. 

He typically lives in cycled 5 gallon tank with 1 nerite snail & excellent/steady water parameters. Weekly water changes, heater, sponge filter, plants. Weekly water testing using API strips and ammonia kit.

He is currently in emergency tank 2.5 gallon with 1 gallon of distilled water - I initially started with salt per aquarium coops usage instructions and then I moved him to second emergency tank with <50 ppm hydrogen peroxide overnight. Emergency tank parameters as follows:

Temp - 78.6 F
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
PH - 6.5
KH - 0
GH - 15 
ammonia - 0

I initially thought he may have velvet due to some of the coloring he has but now I am wondering if this is Columnaris? Pics attached, there is a white spot above eye that I had always thought was his coloring but now that he is sick I am wondering if this is actually a sign of the disease. His symptoms are as follows:

- underwater labored breathing started a week or so ago but I did not think anything of it since this is my first fish and the whole process is new to me - hindsight 2020
- about 4 days ago he went from loving food to not eating anything
- two days ago he went from being active all the time to extreme lethargy - laying in his hut (on his side sometimes) all day long, now he is just floating toward the surface with his nose at the surface. I noticed a couple times him flashing around his tank erratically and rubbing on stuff but he is mostly just lethargic
- when he goes to take a surface breath out of water he clearly struggles a lot like he is gasping multiple times and just can't catch a breath, over and over again

My guy is dying and there are no fish vets around here - have done so much research, but I still don't have the knowledge to help him it seems. Thinking I should order Seachem Kanaplex & Jungle Fungus Clear Tabs overnight from Amazon in hopes that if it is Columnaris it would help. Feel like I have already put him through so much stress trying to help him though so any insight would be so appreciated. Thank you!

IMG_3913.jpeg

Doesn't look live velvet  he's a picture of a betta with velvet for comparison it could have a bacterial component the fact he's not eating and lethargic what I would do is a course of kanaplex or maracyn2 which every one is more readily available and up the aquarium salt to 1 table spoon for 1 gallon @bubsthename

1000000099.png

• Like 1

On 5/23/2024 at 10:41 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

@Colu 

Thank you so much for the response! I had shined a light on him two nights ago and just couldn't tell if the gold along his spine and face was part of his natural coloring or if it could be velvet so I decided to proceed with the H202 just in case.

Would the H202 have helped with any of the other potential bacterial issues he could be suffering with? It has been overnight a little less than 24 hrs so the H202 has likely broken down by now - he is still not eating and lethargic but is not clamping his fins close. Still going to surface and having a hard time getting a breath in it seems.

On a different forum, a user thought maybe osmoregulatory problems due to my KH/GH being low in main tank for so long. What are your thoughts on that? It typically sits around 40ppm KH and 30ppm GH if I am remembering correctly. Thank you! Will look into the medicines you suggested!

• Like 1

Oh gotcha, okay, I'm on it! Thank you again!!

sorry, should I put him back in normal tank and cure the whole thing? Snail and plants in there right now while he is in QT. Thank you!

• Like 1

On 5/23/2024 at 7:37 PM, bubsthename said:

Oh gotcha, okay, I'm on it! Thank you again!!

sorry, should I put him back in normal tank and cure the whole thing? Snail and plants in there right now while he is in QT. Thank you!

What i would do is treat him were he is as kanaplex can be harmful to snails and the salt will kill your plants at the level I recommend 

I dosed the salt last night and administered Kanaplex today. When should I expect to see improvement and do you recommend administering second dose in two days per instructions or wait and see how he is doing? When should I try feeding him?

Thank you!!!

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 9:31 AM, bubsthename said:

I dosed the salt last night and administered Kanaplex today. When should I expect to see improvement and do you recommend administering second dose in two days per instructions or wait and see how he is doing? When should I try feeding him?

Thank you!!!

I would do second treatment (if no improvements) after the full first course, see if he improves before that as well. @bubsthenamethat is what i did for my betta. 

Edited by Whitecloud09

On 5/24/2024 at 2:31 PM, bubsthename said:

Thank you!!!

You want  to dose kanaplex every 2 days for 3 dose that a full course then give an update 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2024 at 1:46 PM, bubsthename said:

Unfortunately he passed away in the night. Thank you for all of the help - I must not have noticed he was sick soon enough 

Sorry for your loss 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2024 at 8:46 AM, bubsthename said:

Unfortunately he passed away in the night. Thank you for all of the help - I must not have noticed he was sick soon enough 

I am sorry for your loss. Losing a fish is never fun....😥

• Like 1