Did I make a mistake with my sponge filter?

TLP

I am getting ready to set up a new deep substrate tank that will have a sponge filter with biological media. I ran the sponge filter for the new tank for a few days alongside an existing sponge filter in an already established tank to inoculate it using a dual port air pump. The pump died, so I disconnected the new filter and just let the original filter continue running with an extra single port pump. I left the new filter submerged in the tank. It has been there for four days or so. I was planning on setting up the new tank in the next couple of days. It just occurred to me that since there has been no water flowing through the new sponge filter for a few days that it may now be unsafe to begin using it again due to toxin build up? Is that true? Or will it be fine since it is still submerged and wet? Should I wash it, rinse it, or replace it, or do nothing?

It's going to be just fine.  It still has bacteria all through it.  Just like your rock work and everything else in the existing tank has.  Most of us in this hobby have over thought things it's way easier than we let it be.  

• Like 5

On 5/22/2024 at 10:27 AM, TLP said:

may now be unsafe to begin using it again due to toxin build up

Only toxin in the tank would be the nitrogen compounds the bacteria eat anyway. Without flow through it it may not be completely saturated with bacteria, it will have it deep into the surface though. But if you need it to start the new tank, you could always use the other one. Or take it lightly on the stocking for a bit as it builds more bacteria. But, no, no toxins to worry about 

• Like 1

Agreed that it will be just fine. I keep nano sponges in my grow out tank with no air, and have no problems throwing them in a hatchery/initial grow out tank. 

My only comment is personally I would want the brand new sponge in there for more than 4 days to be seeded. 

• Like 3

Thank you for the replies, Everyone. I am reassured and will go ahead as planned.

On 5/22/2024 at 10:59 AM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

My only comment is personally I would want the brand new sponge in there for more than 4 days to be seeded. 

I don't know how long is sufficient for proper seeding, but it has been in the old tank a week by now. I also plan on adding some of the water and a bit of substrate from the old tank to the new one, as well. I figure all of that is way better than nothing, yes? It will also be heavily planted.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 2:40 PM, TLP said:

I also plan on adding some of the water and a bit of substrate from the old tank to the new one, as well.

Some of the substrate would work somewhat. Moving the water won’t do anything. The bacteria live on the surfaces. Not in the water column. 
usually I like to seed a filter for about a month. To give them time to densely populate it. That’s why I leave an extra sponge in my bigger tanks. And the bonus from that is higher oxygen levels. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Agreed with @Tony s. A month would be awesome. At least 2 weeks for me personally. Moving substrate will also help. Water will not. 

The filter and substrate will help. Definitely better than nothing! All just depends on what your goals are. 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes

There should be no problem.  However, don't count on that new filter to be cycled.  Having it in there for a few days (and less with air flow) probably won't do much...