Lidless tank

I keep majority of my tanks without a lid.

I haven't kept clown loaches, but in general, you gotta lower the water level significantly to lessen the potential jumping. IT is never zero, but water level being down helps a lot. Water level visibly down is not everyones thing, which I understand. It may not look very good to the eye.

Rachel O Leary also keeps majority of her tanks this way too, if I am not mistaken. You can check her fishroom videos as well.

• Like 2

Adding a cascading source of water like a waterfall can induce a fish to jump up into the cascading water. Kind of a "I wonder where that's coming from?" situation where fish turn into salmon swimming upstream into the water cascading into their tank.  Swimming upstream is a pretty natural thing for a lot of fish. Clown loaches are pretty athletic little fish used to fast-moving streams in the wild so they're often swimming upstream naturally. 

• Like 2

Huh, so a lidless tank will propably not be safe for these fishes I suppose.

On 5/22/2024 at 4:09 AM, Sacah said:

You could put flyscreen/mesh over the tank to stop fish, but allow water through. Or use the tank dividers/light difuser/egg crate panels as another option.

I was thinking of having the waterfall rising above the tank, and having some terrestrial plants such as Epipremnum aureum hanging on the edge of the tank wall with its root in the water. Or maybe lucky bamboo. Either way, is there a way to do this with something to prevent fish from jumping out?

On 5/22/2024 at 2:39 PM, gardenman said:

Adding a cascading source of water like a waterfall can induce a fish to jump up into the cascading water. Kind of a "I wonder where that's coming from?" situation where fish turn into salmon swimming upstream into the water cascading into their tank.  Swimming upstream is a pretty natural thing for a lot of fish. Clown loaches are pretty athletic little fish used to fast-moving streams in the wild so they're often swimming upstream naturally. 

Huhh.. that will prove itself difficult... Now I have to figure out a way to solve this, as this will be my aquascapeing dream project 🤔

If you also want plants, then use the tank dividers, they come in various sizes, you can clip them together to make larger sizes and with wire cutters they are easy to make your own size, or cut out sections for plants like bamboo to grow through. I use them to make baskets to hang on the back of my tank and the squares are large enough that the plant roots will grow through into the water.

• Love 1

On 5/23/2024 at 12:17 AM, Sacah said:

If you also want plants, then use the tank dividers, they come in various sizes, you can clip them together to make larger sizes and with wire cutters they are easy to make your own size, or cut out sections for plants like bamboo to grow through. I use them to make baskets to hang on the back of my tank and the squares are large enough that the plant roots will grow through into the water.

You actually just gave me an idea!

My initial plan was to have a waterfall and make it rise above the tank and some plants hanging from the edge with their roots in the water.

Using the "lid" as a basket for plants sounds pretty cool.  I could scape on top of the lid, making a continuation of my aquascape with holes for the roots and for the waterfall. Decorate with more cliff-looking stones on top of the lid, moss and lots of plants. This could turn out really cool!!

On 5/23/2024 at 1:06 AM, Sacah said:

Sounds exciting, post some pics when you're done.

Sure! It will propably take months, though, until I've collected the massive amount of rocks that I need for such a big tank 😉

On 5/23/2024 at 4:48 PM, doktor zhivago said:

My main problem with a lidless tank wasn't jumping fish but so much evaporatation. I was topping off all the time and the heater was running constantly 

Really? 

The air where I live is pretty "moist" so I haven't noticed this much. My 225L (59 gallons) tank is currently lidless because I have no fish that jump there. But yeah, l haven't noticed a significant amount of evaporation compared to my 2 tanks with lids.

On 5/24/2024 at 4:12 AM, VanDogh said:

Sure! It will propably take months, though, until I've collected the massive amount of rocks that I need for such a big tank 😉

Just be careful how much weight you put on top, I beleive the glass is designed to be strong on its face, where the water will be pushing on it, not to take a load on its sides where it'll be weaker.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2024 at 6:12 AM, Sacah said:

Just be careful how much weight you put on top, I beleive the glass is designed to be strong on its face, where the water will be pushing on it, not to take a load on its sides where it'll be weaker.

Most of the stones will be inside the tank, not much will be on top 🙂

On 5/24/2024 at 11:40 AM, johnnyxxl said:

I want to see progress shots of how you tackle this.  They always inspire me for future endeavors.  I look forward to seeing more ideas 

Of the lid? Or the scaping? 🙂

On 5/24/2024 at 11:33 PM, johnnyxxl said:

Both

Sure! I just have to gather materials and plants which is rather pricy and time consuming so it will take a lot of time to even get the stuff. I have two smaller tanks that I will prioritize scaping first though since they already have inhabitants 😀

• Like 1

On 5/25/2024 at 2:42 PM, Lennie said:

Mesh lids are especially popular in the saltwater hobby. You can check those. They aesthetically look better IMO

Great idea, they look pretty neat! I will propably do some sort of DIY to xreate openings for my hardscapes and plants but I could use a mesh lid-looking lid as a base