🐟Rachel's Fish Adventures🐟

Posted (edited)

Hi there! My name is Rachel, and I have recently taken on the title of "Fish Mom"! I currently have 6 adorable Guppies in a variety of colors, 2 cool Blue Mystery Snails, and a very entertaining African Dwarf Frog! Look out for updates every couple of days, and feel free to give me advice or make suggestions to make my tank more comfortable for all the inhabitants in it! ❤️ 

Edited by GuppyLover123
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

5/20/24: It's official, I'm expanding! Right now my tiny 5 gallon tank might be making the Guppies, Snails, and African Dwarf Frog feel a little cramped. The good news is, I just bought a 29-gallon tank today! I'm hoping to set it up this weekend, and transfer the fish not too long after! I'm sure the guppies will be happy to have more space to swim around in - they are super active! Let me know what your must-haves are in your tanks - I want to get the best stuff possible for my current fish as they transfer tanks, and for all the new fish that will soon come! ❤️ 

thumbnail_IMG_2705.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2704.jpg

Edited by GuppyLover123
  • Love 2

Posted (edited)

Pretty fish! My only critique is the blue gravel. Blue gravel isn't something found in the wild and could maybe stress your fishes out if its too bright...if they seem fine I wouldn't change it unless you see your guppies getting stressed out (i.e. losing coloration, rapid breathing, loss of appetite)

If you dont want to get some live plants but want the beneficial bacteria and plant filtration I would reccomend a moss ball. They are so low matinence I basically forget about them. The only thing they enjoy is getting rolled back into a ball after every water change to retain shape.

Edited by CoryWithAKatana
  • Like 1

5/21/24: Unfortunately one of the female guppies in my tank passed away today, after being noticeably sick the last 2 days. I'm hoping whatever the cause of death was wasn't a disease that will spread to my other guppies. Thankfully, they seem to be fine, and are still very active! ❤️ 

• Sad 2

On 5/21/2024 at 3:49 PM, CoryWithAKatana said:

Pretty fish! My only critique is the blue gravel. Blue gravel isn't something found in the wild and could maybe stress your fishes out if its too bright...if they seem fine I wouldn't change it unless you see your guppies getting stressed out (i.e. losing coloration, rapid breathing, loss of appetite)

Im trying not to sound like a Debbie downer cuz this thread is full of positive feedback 😅

Oh my gosh! As a still pretty new fish owner, I had no idea gravel could affect my fish! Thank you so much for the advice!!! I recently bought new gravel to put in my new 29 gallon fish tank, and I think it looks more natural (see in photo below) 😄 5325118_alt3?$CLEARjpg$

• Like 2

On 5/21/2024 at 3:51 PM, GuppyLover123 said:

5/21/24: Unfortunately one of the female guppies in my tank passed away today, after being noticeably sick the last 2 days. I'm hoping whatever the cause of death was wasn't a disease that will spread to my other guppies. Thankfully, they seem to be fine, and are still very active! ❤️ 

Oh no! Sorry to hear that. Could you maybe tell us the "noticeable" symptoms in your fish so we can tell you if it could infect your other fish. 

On 5/21/2024 at 3:56 PM, GuppyLover123 said:

Oh my gosh! As a still pretty new fish owner, I had no idea gravel could affect my fish! Thank you so much for the advice!!! I recently bought new gravel to put in my new 29 gallon fish tank, and I think it looks more natural (see in photo below) 😄 5325118_alt3?$CLEARjpg$

Perfect! Very natural looking and it will make your bright fish stand out more

• Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 3:56 PM, CoryWithAKatana said:

Oh no! Sorry to hear that. Could you maybe tell us the "noticeable" symptoms in your fish so we can tell you if it could infect your other fish. 

I actually posted something under the Diseases forum section titled "Help! Is my guppy sick?" Please feel free to go there where I provided information and photos. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tank Cleaning

Sometimes I feel like there is nothing more satisfying when it comes to aquariums than cleaning out the tank. I use this mini gravel vacuum and I actually love how the dirt, leftover fish food, etc. get sucked up and the tank becomes cleaner! I clean my tiny 5-gallon every week or so. My African Dwarf Frog Steve always seems to appreciate it when I clean the tank, and right afterwards always is pretty active! ❤️ 🙂 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 5:28 PM, GuppyLover123 said:

Tank Cleaning

Sometimes I feel like there is nothing more satisfying when it comes to aquariums than cleaning out the tank. I use this mini gravel vacuum and I actually love how the dirt, leftover fish food, etc. get sucked up and the tank becomes cleaner! I clean my tiny 5-gallon every week or so. My African Dwarf Frog Steve always seems to appreciate it when I clean the tank, and right afterwards always is pretty active! ❤️ 🙂 

I know, it’s so fun to me, and so relaxing, also gives you a chance to enjoy your fish longer @GuppyLover123!

5/22/24: Hey everyone! Nothing majorly new today! My guppies seem to be taking the loss of one of their tank mates pretty well - thank goodness - and my African Dwarf Frog has been strangely active today. Most of the time Steve (African Dwarf Frog) spends his time chilling inside of the cave in my tank, but today he's been swimming all over the place! Look out for photos this weekend when I set up my new 29-gallon tank! ❤️ 😄 

• Like 3

5/23/24: Today I bought a 10-gallon tank to go with my 29-gallon tank. A few weeks ago, in preparation for the new tanks, I bought an aquarium stand that is meant for a 29-gallon tank on top, and you can put a 10-gallon tank right below it. I'm hoping to transfer my 4 Guppies into the 10-gallon tank this weekend, and potentially buy one or two more in different colors to add. I've also started composing a list of potential fish to put in my 29-gallon. Not all of them will go into it, but they are just ones I am interested in. Please give opinions, or recommendations of other types of fish I might not have thought of yet!

- Clown Loach

- Kuhli Loach

- Blue Ram Dwarf Cichlid

- Harlequin Rasbora

- Swordtail

Additionally, I will be transferring my African Dwarf Frog and 2 Blue Mystery Snails into the 29-gallon tank. I'm going to my LFS this weekend to look at some of the fish in person and get opinions from some of the people who work there!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2024 at 8:13 PM, GuppyLover123 said:

5/23/24: Today I bought a 10-gallon tank to go with my 29-gallon tank. A few weeks ago, in preparation for the new tanks, I bought an aquarium stand that is meant for a 29-gallon tank on top, and you can put a 10-gallon tank right below it. I'm hoping to transfer my 4 Guppies into the 10-gallon tank this weekend, and potentially buy one or two more in different colors to add. I've also started composing a list of potential fish to put in my 29-gallon. Not all of them will go into it, but they are just ones I am interested in. Please give opinions, or recommendations of other types of fish I might not have thought of yet!

- Clown Loach

- Kuhli Loach

- Blue Ram Dwarf Cichlid

- Harlequin Rasbora

- Swordtail

Additionally, I will be transferring my African Dwarf Frog and 2 Blue Mystery Snails into the 29-gallon tank. I'm going to my LFS this weekend to look at some of the fish in person and get opinions from some of the people who work there!

Slow your roll there. Clown loaches like to be in groups of 5 and they grow up to 12inches in length as adults.They need at least 180gallon if you wanna keep em happy. I would be wary when adding your frog friend because if you have fast or nippy fish it could outcompete your frog for food or might nip at its toes or legs. The chilid might want a bigger tank too because they like to swim around and would definitely not be a good fit for your frog. Blue Ram Dwarf Cichlids like to be in pairs. They choose a mate and stay with them for life and may even mate. 29g would be too small for the pair. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2024 at 8:23 PM, CoryWithAKatana said:

Slow your roll there. Clown loaches like to be in groups of 5 and they grow up to 12inches in length as adults.They need at least 180gallon if you wanna keep em happy. I would be wary when adding your frog friend because if you have fast or nippy fish it could outcompete your frog for food or might nip at its toes or legs

Oof thanks for letting me know about the Clown Loaches 😞 . My fiance had been the one to really want them, but he didn't tell me they got that big haha.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2024 at 8:30 PM, GuppyLover123 said:

Oof thanks for letting me know about the Clown Loaches 😞 . My fiance had been the one to really want them, but he didn't tell me they got that big haha.

If you wanna break bank and get a huge tank that could be really cool! Clown loaches are very active and fast 

Definitely ask your LSF about some good tank mates because I am relying on my research and not experience...😅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/23/2024 at 8:13 PM, GuppyLover123 said:

- Clown Loach

- Kuhli Loach

- Blue Ram Dwarf Cichlid

- Harlequin Rasbora

- Swordtail

Idk if clwon loach is a good idea, like @CoryWithAKatana said, they a lot bigger tank for them to be happy. My suggestion, white cloud mountain minnows, they are the most underated fish that are also the easiest fish to keep.

• Like 1