Start of something or just healing?

saminator0107

Hello all! I have a 75G native planted tank. I see 2 of my native sunfish have something on their fins.

They dont seem to be bothered by it, and are acting, eating and swimming as usual. I have kept an eye on it for the past few days and it hasnt spread to other fish or caused them any issues.

It looks like its possibly a fin fracture to me, according to my research. Water parameters are totally normal and "within spec". Nothing out of wack and are always what it has been. 

Im thinking they might have ran into a rock or a piece of wood in the tank. After all, these guys behave a LOT like african cichlids, and sometimes will "assert dominance" over one another. I have NEVER observed them fight or pick on one another severely. They will sometimes "run off" another fish if they get into their "territory" but no fighting or fin nipping etc.

PS: Sorry for the crappy pics, they ALL want to be up front and center, they all want attention 24/7 like little puppies 😝

IMG_2677.jpeg

IMG_2673.jpeg

IMG_2672.jpeg

On 5/20/2024 at 1:49 PM, saminator0107 said:

Hello all! I have a 75G native planted tank. I see 2 of my native sunfish have something on their fins.

They dont seem to be bothered by it, and are acting, eating and swimming as usual. I have kept an eye on it for the past few days and it hasnt spread to other fish or caused them any issues.

It looks like its possibly a fin fracture to me, according to my research. Water parameters are totally normal and "within spec". Nothing out of wack and are always what it has been. 

Im thinking they might have ran into a rock or a piece of wood in the tank. After all, these guys behave a LOT like african cichlids, and sometimes will "assert dominance" over one another. I have NEVER observed them fight or pick on one another severely. They will sometimes "run off" another fish if they get into their "territory" but no fighting or fin nipping etc.

PS: Sorry for the crappy pics, they ALL want to be up front and center, they all want attention 24/7 like little puppies 😝

IMG_2677.jpeg

IMG_2673.jpeg

IMG_2672.jpeg

First picture is a callus on a broken fin rays  other look picture looks like damage to the fins could be due to aggression or swimming into something as you have mentioned @saminator0107 I would monitor the aggression levels in this tank if you have a very aggressive fish you might consider permanently removing or temporary isolating it 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 6:37 AM, Colu said:

First picture is a callus on a broken fin rays  other look picture looks like damage to the fins could be due to aggression or swimming into something as you have mentioned @saminator0107 I would monitor the aggression levels in this tank if you have a very aggressive fish you might consider permanently removing or temporary isolating it 

Thanks for the help. I havent noticed any bad aggression, just their typical "african cichlid" behavior, after all, sunfish are called "The north american cichlid" for a reason. I will keep an eye on it and if it gets worse i have another tank some of them can go in if need be.