Very skinny guppy

Supermassive

I just got 8 guppies yesterday, 2 males and 6 females. One of the females is extremely skinny. Her belly is completely flat. All of the others have very round bodies and fat bellies. She is also just hanging out in one spot at the surface by herself swimming in place. All the other fish seem to be acting normal that I can tell.

Does that seem like some sort of internal parasite or infection or does it seem like its malnutrition? 

This is the only decent picture I could get.

20240519_1320201.jpg.4e0bee2d61bd8d6835ed8ed4ece94b37.jpg

Here is one of the other healthy looking females.

20240519_1328271.jpg.8ce1b0c78e718b228b8bcb7076a5ab17.jpg

On 5/19/2024 at 6:39 PM, Supermassive said:

I just got 8 guppies yesterday, 2 males and 6 females. One of the females is extremely skinny. Her belly is completely flat. All of the others have very round bodies and fat bellies. She is also just hanging out in one spot at the surface by herself swimming in place. All the other fish seem to be acting normal that I can tell.

Does that seem like some sort of internal parasite or infection or does it seem like its malnutrition? 

This is the only decent picture I could get.

20240519_1320201.jpg.4e0bee2d61bd8d6835ed8ed4ece94b37.jpg

Here is one of the other healthy looking females.

20240519_1328271.jpg.8ce1b0c78e718b228b8bcb7076a5ab17.jpg

If she has a good appetite and still thin I would be learning towards a parasitic infections possible wasting diseases I would treat all the new guppies with expel p active ingredient levamisole once a week for 4 weeks 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2024 at 2:33 PM, Colu said:

If she has a good appetite and still thin I would be learning towards a parasitic infections possible wasting diseases I would treat all the new guppies with expel p active ingredient levamisole once a week for 4 weeks

Ill have to see if she's eating when I feed later. I'm not sure if ill be able to get Expel-P. I have Metroplex and Paracleanse. Would either of those work?

Posted (edited)
On 5/19/2024 at 8:28 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

I feel like paracleanse would be good, as I have seen this

Fritz ParaCleanse treats and controls of a wide variety of parasitic diseases. Use Fritz ParaCleanse for outbreaks of aquatic parasites including velvet (Oodinium dinoflagellates), hole-in-the-head disease (Hexamita sp. & Spironucleus), fish lice, or gill & skin flukes (Dactylogyrus & Gyrodactylus).

You could start with paracleanse you would need to do three full courses of treatment two weeks apart but the type of parasite that  causes wasting praziquantel isn't effective against and need's treating with levamisole fenbendazole or flubendazole you can get fenbendazole in over the counter dog dewormers 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2024 at 3:50 PM, Colu said:

You could start with paracleanse you would need to do three full courses of treatment two weeks apart but the type of parasite that  causes wasting praziquantel insent effective against and need's treating with levamisole fenbendazole or flubendazole you can get fenbendazole in over the counter dog dewormers

I guess I'm going to have to try and order expel P from the US. The shipping says 2-3 weeks. I don't know if she'll last that long but I guess it doesn't matter since they all need to be treated anyway. Should I do anything while I'm waiting or just observe them for other issues?

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2024 at 1:45 AM, Supermassive said:

Okay thank you. I will start treatment on them tomorrow with the paracleanse. Should I do the full treatment 3 times or just once?

Do  three courses of paracleanse two weeks apart 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2024 at 4:59 PM, Supermassive said:

@Colu Tomorrow is the final water change for the paracleanse treatment. When should I start the expel p and how many treatments will I need to do?

Do a  50% water change and run active carbon for 24hr to remove any remaining medication then your can dose expel p once a week for 3 weeks 

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2024 at 5:23 PM, Colu said:

Do a  50% water change and run active carbon for 24hr to remove any remaining medication then your can dose expel p once a week for 3 weeks

I only have a sponge filter. Would it work if I just put a carbon pouch near the sponge filter?

On 6/20/2024 at 11:34 PM, Supermassive said:

I only have a sponge filter. Would it work if I just put a carbon pouch near the sponge filter?

It should or you can just do to large water changes over the next couple of days and then start treating with expel p 

• Thanks 1

Hi there,

I wanted to ask how the fish was doing. Did she pass? All of the advice you are getting is sound. The only thing is depending on what you have the Fritz doses can be light. In my experience you either have a parasitic nematode or hexamita/spironucleus infection. The other thing is the say you have a hexamita/spironucleus and this didn’t work you either need more metrodizone or if the fish eats you need to get it in food.  

how is the fish ?

are you Canadian ?

@Gord ward She did end up passing a little less than a week after I started the paracleanse. I haven't started the expel p yet because I've been busy. I did do two 40% water changes this last week and I've been running the carbon and my TDS meter is reading normal so ill start the expel p tomorrow.

Some of the other females are getting pretty skinny now so the paracleanse didn't solve the issue. And yes I live in Canada.

• Sad 2