Stocking advice - numbers of pygmy cories & rasboras for 30g?

I have got a 30 gallon, stocked with three pygmy cories and many snails at the moment. I started with six cories, made the mistake of not quarantining them. Two had dropsy and one died via ammonia poisoning. Money has been tight recently but my mom and I have been saving and finally have about 100 bucks to go get some new fish! I have been cycling my quarantine tank for about three weeks, and believe it is ready to handle some new inhabitants. 

My quarantine tank is 10 gallons with 2 tsp of aquarium salts dissolved in it. I wanted to keep it low to not shock the fish. Using a sponge filter and an air stone in it, artificial decor and some very hardy floating plants (water-starwort). I have more aquarium salt on hand if needed, and I have ordered the medication trio if needed as well. 

But here is my question: for a 30 gallon planted tank, what should my eventual stocking numbers be? I want to have two or three honey gouramis, a school of pygmy cories, and a school of harlequins as a dither fish. 

I used aqua-advisor to see my maximum filter capacity, and they were helpful, but I wanted to get another perspective. What should be my eventual numbers and stocking? I appreciate it thank you!

• Like 1

On 5/19/2024 at 12:18 PM, clownbaby said:

I have got a 30 gallon, stocked with three pygmy cories and many snails at the moment. I started with six cories, made the mistake of not quarantining them. Two had dropsy and one died via ammonia poisoning. Money has been tight recently but my mom and I have been saving and finally have about 100 bucks to go get some new fish! I have been cycling my quarantine tank for about three weeks, and believe it is ready to handle some new inhabitants. 

My quarantine tank is 10 gallons with 2 tsp of aquarium salts dissolved in it. I wanted to keep it low to not shock the fish. Using a sponge filter and an air stone in it, artificial decor and some very hardy floating plants (water-starwort). I have more aquarium salt on hand if needed, and I have ordered the medication trio if needed as well. 

But here is my question: for a 30 gallon planted tank, what should my eventual stocking numbers be? I want to have two or three honey gouramis, a school of pygmy cories, and a school of harlequins as a dither fish. 

I used aqua-advisor to see my maximum filter capacity, and they were helpful, but I wanted to get another perspective. What should be my eventual numbers and stocking? I appreciate it thank you!

I say 10-12 of harqulins, and 5-6 pgmys, that’s just my opinion, but others might have better opinions, I would for a trio of gouramis as well, they like to be in smaller groups, of 2-3. You could go with 15-20 harqulins even. IMO @clownbaby, hope this makes some sense!

• Like 1

I agree about the gouramis.  A bit deeper on that point, I believe the general consensus is at least two females for every male.  Helps keep down the breeding aggression.

• Like 2

I would either do 1m:3f honey gouramis or just one .

15 harlequins

20 pygmy cories

To start increasing the stock slowly to be budget friendly and easy on the filter and b.bacteria colony to keep up with the upcoming stocking, I would start with

7 more pygmy cories to complete the group to 10 (they barely have any bioload really. Such tiny fish)

10 harlequin rasboras 

and 1 honey gourami.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2024 at 12:53 PM, Lennie said:

I would either do 1m:3f honey gouramis or just one .

15 harlequins

20 pygmy cories

To start increasing the stock slowly to be budget friendly and easy on the filter and b.bacteria colony to keep up with the upcoming stocking, I would start with

7 more pygmy cories to complete the group to 10 (they barely have any bioload really. Such tiny fish)

10 harlequin rasboras 

and 1 honey gourami.

I love my pygmy cories so much. Out of all the species I have had before, these cories are my favorite by far. They are a tad shy, but whenever I feed em they come out and show off. Plus they are the cutest. I love how they hover-swim and take naps on plants !! so cute so cute

Does it matter to have a m:f ratio for harlequins at all? In what I have researched I do not think it matters but I trust if you would know ! 

Also, no matter what source I use I am constantly getting a different answer on if honey gouramis are peaceful in community tanks. What is your experience with them? I would appreciate it. THANK YOU!!

• Like 1

On 5/19/2024 at 6:04 PM, clownbaby said:

Does it matter to have a m:f ratio for harlequins at all

No, they’re good. Actually not sure how to sex them. And I’ve got some older ones 

if honey gouramis are peaceful in community

For the most part, absolutely. There is one member who kept them in large groups with no issues. 7+. 

Out of all the species I have had before, these cories are my favorite by far

Then by all means, make them the focal point of your tank. Maybe just the 3 gourami and the rest in pigmies. The more you have, the more natural the behavior you’re going to see. You might even get better breeding behavior with this. But if the breeding is what you want, species only would also be good. 30+ pigmies of all sizes could be a great tank 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2024 at 4:20 PM, Tony s said:

No, they’re good. Actually not sure how to sex them. And I’ve got some older ones 

For the most part, absolutely. There is one member who kept them in large groups with no issues. 7+. 

Then by all means, make them the focal point of your tank. Maybe just the 3 gourami and the rest in pigmies. The more you have, the more natural the behavior you’re going to see. You might even get better breeding behavior with this. But if the breeding is what you want, species only would also be good. 30+ pigmies of all sizes could be a great tank 

I honestly would like to make them my focal point! But I also do share this tank with my parents (they pay for a lot of it, lol.) and so they do have input, and they really like gouramis. And then I would want a dither fish. Do you think a dither fish is unnecessary? I want my fishies to be comfy

On 5/19/2024 at 7:45 PM, clownbaby said:

Do you think a dither fish is unnecessary?

Small groups of honeys shouldn’t need one. They’ll just hang together. I’d stay away from dwarf gourami. They’re grumpy. Possibly pear gourami would work. If they’re not too big for pigmies 

• Like 1

Pygmy Cories are undeniably cute, but they don’t stir up mulm and detritus on the substrate like bigger cories do.   In my tanks with Pygmies I also keep a school of bigger cories to help keep the substrate tidier..

So maybe 6 larger cories, and 12 pygmies…. I think Lambchop Rasboras are interesting with Harlequins.  

As to final numbers, you will get a better feel as you approach it.  A densely planted tank gives so much areas for fish solitude, hiding out spaces, I feel you can get away with a bit more stocking as the fish have an opportunity to get away from it all.. and the plants provide extra filtration…. As you approach you will get a feel for how fish are acting, getting along, and how nitrate levels build.

I do weekly 50% water changes not to reduce nitrate but I am pretty convinced it helps keep Algae at bay.  My nitrate levels decrease over the course of the week as the plants use nitrate faster than the livestock produce it.

• Like 2

On 5/19/2024 at 8:01 PM, Tony s said:
On 5/19/2024 at 7:45 PM, clownbaby said:

and they really like gouramis. And then I would want a dither fish.

Then @Lennie has the right idea

On 5/19/2024 at 3:53 PM, Lennie said:

would either do 1m:3f honey gouramis or just one .

15 harlequins

20 pygmy cories

Would do that exactly. It gets you a decent sized fleet of pigmies making them more comfortable. And a good schoaling fish. The copper color is very nice and would go well with gold in the honeys. I would tend to stay on the yellow honeys just for more of a color pop

Posted (edited)

I’d check with your parents about what exactly they think would like. You could add a bit more. Not much. But sounds like a good spot for a bristlenose   Maybe what they’re after is a very mixed fish , active tank. But you want the cory tank. At least you would know. And could work better together on getting a perfect balance.  Maybe your mom would like 1 angel for show. That’s a bit tight. But doable 

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 1

On 5/19/2024 at 5:51 PM, Tony s said:

I’d check with your parents about what exactly they think would like. You could add a bit more. Not much. But sounds like a good spot for a bristlenose   Maybe what they’re after is a very mixed fish , active tank. But you want the cory tank. At least you would know. And could work better together on getting a perfect balance.  Maybe your mom would like 1 angel for show. That’s a bit tight. But doable 

Yep! Exactly lmao. They want a super active tank. My favorite fish tend to be shy, nocturnal bottom dwellers LMAO !!! We are so opposite. So the gourami(s) is a bit of a compromise. I would not feel comfortable with an angel fish & I personally do not think my tank would be big enough (I am new to this, I do not want to overstock my tank or do risky stocking as I am afraid my lack of experience would lead to mis-care and/or mistreatment.) My mom also does zero maintenance (her words lol) so she is more flexible letting me get the fish I want, since I do know more and do the work (again, her words.) 

Thank you for all the help 🙂 I appreciate it so muchhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

On 5/19/2024 at 6:37 PM, clownbaby said:

Yep! Exactly lmao. They want a super active tank. My favorite fish tend to be shy, nocturnal bottom dwellers LMAO !!! We are so opposite. So the gourami(s) is a bit of a compromise. I would not feel comfortable with an angel fish & I personally do not think my tank would be big enough (I am new to this, I do not want to overstock my tank or do risky stocking as I am afraid my lack of experience would lead to mis-care and/or mistreatment.) My mom also does zero maintenance (her words lol) so she is more flexible letting me get the fish I want, since I do know more and do the work (again, her words.) 

Thank you for all the help 🙂 I appreciate it so muchhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yes! And about the pleco. I have been considering a pleco of sorts! One of my old fish to pass (Berry the Bristlenose) was a pleco and I loved him a lot. He lived seven years and passed from old age. It was because of him that I got into fishkeeping, actually... I had him in a five gallon tank and when he died I felt so horrible for him. It was honestly that moment when 15 year old me had a sense of logic and empathy. hit me like a truck. I cried so much, simply because despite this animal holding onto life and providing me joy, I provided him a filterless five gallon tank. And thank God that Berry did teach me that lesson - as now this hobby has genuinely saved my life and helps me learn, gain peace, and properly take care of fishie friends. 

So yes, I have a big attachment to all plecos. I wouldn't mind another bristlenose, but I also think clown plecs are so cute >.> 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 5/19/2024 at 9:37 PM, clownbaby said:

They want a super active tank. My favorite fish tend to be shy, nocturnal bottom dwellers LMAO !!! We are so opposite.

You could do a compromise. Cut some rasboras back, cut some cories back, and in another small school. It would cut back a bit on rasbora impact. Possibly adding more, different color. How about a green neon. It’s also small but a lot of color. Or silver tipped tetras which are tighter schooling. But most times a bigger school is better, but you’d more movement 

On 5/19/2024 at 9:55 PM, Tony s said:

We are so opposite.

You wait until you get older, then you’ll see that that’s not the case at all. Most kids think that. But one day you’ll be extremely proud to be mostly like them. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2024 at 6:42 PM, clownbaby said:

I also think clown plecs are so cute >.> 

Glad you think they are cute 😄 Not everyone does but I think they have a charm to them just be aware they need lots of wood to munch on and they love cucumbers as a snack. Because clown plecos munch on the wood they can create lots of debris on the substrate just something to keep in mind. Let us know what the final stocking is.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2024 at 1:04 AM, clownbaby said:

I love my pygmy cories so much. Out of all the species I have had before, these cories are my favorite by far. They are a tad shy, but whenever I feed em they come out and show off. Plus they are the cutest. I love how they hover-swim and take naps on plants !! so cute so cute

Does it matter to have a m:f ratio for harlequins at all? In what I have researched I do not think it matters but I trust if you would know ! 

Also, no matter what source I use I am constantly getting a different answer on if honey gouramis are peaceful in community tanks. What is your experience with them? I would appreciate it. THANK YOU!!

I have never kept harlequin rasboras. But I believe they should not require an exact ratio, when you get a group you will more or less be balanced anyway. Like as an example, my rummynoses have nothing to with m f ratio really. 

But if they are like pencilfish or barbs, then it would be nicer to go for a balanced group. My male rosy barbs did chase females for breeding. Also pencilfish males have some sort of aggression in my experience and can bully females a lil

So someone with an experience may help better, but I think they would be similar to rummynoses and don’t really care an exact ratio.

Pygmy cories are surely my favorite too. Cutest fish ever.

On 5/20/2024 at 9:04 AM, JE47 said:

Glad you think they are cute 😄 Not everyone does but I think they have a charm to them just be aware they need lots of wood to munch on and they love cucumbers as a snack. Because clown plecos munch on the wood they can create lots of debris on the substrate just something to keep in mind. Let us know what the final stocking is.

Plecos use wood as hiding point really. And they do enjoy grazing around for the natural growth/aufwuch. It is a good enrichment but not a must. Plecos eating wood is a misconception, and it is thought to be a byproduct at best if any found in the gut. Like a hunter animal eating an animal with fur or feathers, so unintentionally you can find bones, fur, feathers, etc in their gut but they don’t really feed on feathers as food 

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2024 at 11:59 AM, Lennie said:

But I believe they should not require an exact ratio

They really don't. I've had mine for years. Have never seen any mating behavior aggressiveness or anything like that. and the differences are so subtle I'm not sure any seller would be able to tell at all. worse than sexing young angelfish.  

@clownbaby Was just thinking if you're going to get that bristlenose. get one of the showy ones. kind of make it your bottom showpiece... when it's out anyway

I second the 20 Pygmies. My 10 hide all the time, but that tank is also in my bedroom so I see them hovering around and doing their Pygmy thing when they think I’m not looking.

Every once in a while I see a fry or two in there. I’m hoping I eventually get to around 20 by passively breeding them so they hide less. I could totally pull eggs and go through the motions to hatch and raise more, but life is too busy right now and I like the surprise Pygmy fry every once in a while. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1