Rusty stock tank

There may be, or at least slow it down. They make a paint that binds to rust and hardens. Changing colors from white to black as it does. We have used it before on steel projects we were building. But those projects were not constantly submerged after. If you have something like an Ace hardware with a paint department, I’d check with them. Needs to have metal specific paints, not sure big home stores will have what you need. Possibly tractor supply. Not even sure about Sherwin Williams as they handle mostly house paint. 

btw, 50+ years ago, we had one of those in our back yard. 12 ft wide. It was our first swimming pool. It was actually very fun. We used to be able to create a giant whirlpool in it 🤣

• Like 1

On 5/19/2024 at 4:24 AM, doktor zhivago said:

The galvanization is a sacrificial anode. Once it's gone it doesn't protect the steel anymore

That is very true. @BlueLineAquaticsSC if you paint it, you’ll want to paint the whole inside of the tank. The area not in contact with the rust will stay white, but still harden just fine. The problem being, if you don’t cover all the rust, it will come back in that area 

Posted (edited)

It appears to be mostly surface rust and not near a critical joint, so using it with a liner would be an option. "Pond Armor" is the brand of pond epoxy paint that You Tuber Aquarium Domain uses for his homemade tanks.

Edited by gardenman
  • Like 1

On 5/19/2024 at 7:44 AM, gardenman said:

It appears to be mostly surface rust and not near a critical joint, so using it with a liner would be an option

True, but eventually it will go through. It’s not that thick. And just painting over won’t stop the rust. It’ll just eat through the painted liner.   @gabdewulf I like that idea. I was going to suggest painting, but pond liner should be great. 

On 5/19/2024 at 8:11 AM, Tony s said:

And just painting over won’t stop the rust. It’ll just eat through the painted liner.  

I have used epoxy over rust on cars that has effectively stopped the rust progression for years. Epoxy makes a tenacious waterproof bond to rust unlike polyester or vinylester resin that suffers from osmotic blistering and allows water to pass.

if you try it, I would sand remove the loose rest and wash it well let it dry thoroughly.  Then paint on straight epoxy and allow it to cure.  Then I would sand the epoxy to give it some tooth and coat with the epoxy pond liner for an aesthetic finish and to protect the epoxy from UV degradation.

• Like 3

On 5/19/2024 at 8:21 AM, Pepere said:

I would sand remove the loose rest

Yeah, prepping the area well is going to be essential anyway. Sounds like a good reason to get a new cordless grinder and a wire wheel. Otherwise that’s a lot of elbow grease for the whole tank 

On 5/19/2024 at 11:01 AM, BlueLineAquaticsSC said:

but I’m starting to wonder if it will be worth the time getting right 

It wouldnt be that exciting to me.

I do recall watching one video where the person had a brand new galvanized tub that they scrubbed out with detergent to remove any oils or grease and sanded and then painted the interior with pond liner epoxy paint specifically to prevent the zinc galvanizing from leaching in to the aquarium water.

I dont know if that is advisable but it did give a nice light blue surface to allow easier viewing of the fish….

• Like 1

On 5/19/2024 at 11:01 AM, BlueLineAquaticsSC said:

but I’m starting to wonder if it will be worth the time getting right 

From Amazon link

71nU910NqL.jpg.998ef77cdb1520615ba64a8786c9f81b.jpg

This looks nice to me. If I was doing this project. Rust dissolver then clean it with my high pressure washer. Use a leaf blower to quickly dry before it starts to rust again  then spray on some primer over the rust spots. 

• Like 2