Stocking ideas for column 10 gallon tank

I set up this 10 gallon aquarium and let it cycle for about a month. I am going to slowly start adding fish to it. I am going to make it a community tank and wanted some ideas for fish to stock it with. I already have a guppy community tank with gouramis so I am not looking to add those two types. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated!!image.jpg.9582abac6330fe436ff8d6f5e54d0247.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/18/2024 at 11:07 AM, Michaeldv2 said:

I set up this 10 gallon aquarium and let it cycle for about a month. I am going to slowly start adding fish to it. I am going to make it a community tank and wanted some ideas for fish to stock it with. I already have a guppy community tank with gouramis so I am not looking to add those two types. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated!!image.jpg.9582abac6330fe436ff8d6f5e54d0247.jpg

Would be nice for a shrimp colony. @Michaeldv2

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I stock my tanks based on the bottom dimensions of the tank, and take the height  as a bonus until I need that high water volume or keep a tall fish. I have my tanks custom made. As an example, regardless of the water volume, my 110x40x25cmh tank gives me way more option than my 50cm cube in my opinion.

A tall tank like this does not provide much stocking options just because it is a 10g; as it mainly provides vertical swimming space but lacks the horizontal swimming space, and fish don't really utilise going up and down but instead swim horizontally mainly.

If It was me, I would only stock it with shrimp and very tiny not mobile fish maybe, like smallest rasboras such as chilis. I would not take normal 10g stocking suggestions as applicable for tall tanks myself just because it holds the same volume of water.

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 2

Shrimp is best for a column tank. 10g has not a ton of options, but I gotta say, WCMMs (white cloud minnows), super hardy, can be in even a 5g. Micro rasboras. If you didn’t say a community tank I would of said a betta and snails, if the personality of the betta is calm and peaceful, that’s one of the best nano tank duos for a 5-10 gallon tank. Chili rasboras are good too. 

I like what @Lenniesaid, the horizontal space is very limited. Agree with @Tlindsey also. 

But I am not trying to discourage you, I still see these 4 best options.

WCMMs

chili rasboras

shrimp only

or maybe some other nano fish that you can find. Hope this helps

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 3:50 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Shrimp is best for a column tank. 10g has not a ton of options, but I gotta say, WCMMs (white cloud minnows), super hardy, can be in even a 5g. Micro rasboras. If you didn’t say a community tank I would of said a betta and snails, if the personality of the betta is calm and peaceful, that’s one of the best nano tank duos for a 5-10 gallon tank. Chili rasboras are good too. 

I like what @Lenniesaid, the horizontal space is very limited. Agree with @Tlindsey also. 

But I am not trying to discourage you, I still see these 4 best options.

WCMMs

chili rasboras

shrimp only

or maybe some other nano fish that you can find. Hope this helps

I think minnows and rasboras are fish that like to swim and won't make as much use of the vertical space. While it would probably be fine it wouldn't be optimal

Fish that would make better use of the vertical space, especially with lots of structure and plants:

Pea Puffer

Endlers

#1 option is bettas, this would be a good tank size for them.

Edited by macdaddy36
endler
  • Like 2

On 5/18/2024 at 3:59 PM, macdaddy36 said:

I think minnows and rasboras are fish that like to swim and won't make as much use of the vertical space. While it would probably be fine it wouldn't be optimal

Fish that would make better use of the vertical space, especially with lots of structure and plants:

Pea Puffer

#1 option is bettas, this would be a good tank size for them.

Oh never thought about that, good point @macdaddy36, then my last option for you @Michaeldv2, is bettas, they would be fine in there. Pea puffer, huh I will have to look into that, I have seen they are nano fish…. It’s definitely limited space for most nano fish.

Bettas need horizontal space too and vertical tall tank only makes it worse for them to keep swimming up and down to breathe from the surface. Especially long fin ones may have horrible experience in tall tanks.

I did try two halfmoons in both 40 and 50cm high tanks and I had to change their tanks quickly witnessing the obvious struggle.

Plakats can be done but they love swimming. The bigger the space the better in my experience. Shallow tanks work wonders for bettas of any kind 

• Like 2

If you have some experience, I’d suggest a Pea Puffer. They’re a super fun and cute wet pet. As long as you can plan on feeding frozen and live foods all the time, you can get lots of enjoyment out of them 🙂

But if that sounds like a lot, there are other good micro rasbora options like chili, phoenix, strawberry and least Rasboras that would do ok with that footprint.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I definitely would go shrimp. If you go with fish, be sure they are super nano, a white cloud would be really inhibited due to the lack of swimming room. I’d stay far away from them unless you had a regular 10 gallon. Those column tanks aren’t very popular for a reason, they’re limited in what you can stock it with. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2024 at 9:14 PM, Sammy said:

Orange shrimp bottom, Ember Tetras for upper... couple Bacopa Carolinianas for tall column feeder color

Yes, green neon tetras maybe too? Neon tetras are a bit bigger, but green neons are a little bit smaller, not sure if they would be good for a column tank either…. Shrimp is all I really suggest, maybe mix some. Like some cherrys. Ghost shrimp. Or only one kind.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2024 at 7:22 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Yes, green neon tetras maybe too? Neon tetras are a bit bigger, but green neons are a little bit smaller, not sure if they would be good for a column tank either…. Shrimp is all I really suggest, maybe mix some. Like some cherrys. Ghost shrimp. Or only one kind.

Yeah, I love the little greenies...

Microdevario Kubotai  (not Green Neons tetras) are a fabulous tall aquarium fish in good numbers. I have 18 that like to shoal throughout my 37 tall... and they get along with the Embers and Daisy's Ricefish very well. They never bother the Amanos or the few Sunkist Neos in the tank. They're only downside is they need to be in a large school (even with same sized nano fish) or they get too shy and don't feed well. A well planted tank with tall things to swim around and they're fine. Wish I could breed them regularly but I've had very little success with them... but I'll keep trying.. 😊

• Like 1