Alage that looks like fog?

Hello,

Is there any type of Algae that would look like fog in an aquarium? If not, then it would have to be a very long bacterial bloom which is going on 2 weeks now. 

0 Ammonia

0 Nitrite

0 Nitrate

I honestly don't think it is green water, I mean I haven't pulled a sample out but i've dipped my finger in a couple times. It comes out clear with gray/green spots which makes me thing Green dust algae. But typically that type of algae just grows on the walls of the tank and doesn't make the water column look like Fog. 

Hi @Ryan1988,

The longer days, and more hours of daylight, can indeed cause 'green water'.  When my water turns cloudy I look at the tank from the end instead of the front, it usually will define if I have 'green water' or a bacterial bloom from a mini-cycle, over-feeding, or a dead fish lurking somewhere in my plants.  -Roy

On 5/17/2024 at 7:56 AM, Ryan1988 said:

@Seattle_Aquarist No dead fish. all alive and healthy behaving normally. The "fog" it literally looks like fog or clouds swirling about the tank makes it so I can not see from one side to the other when looking that way instead of front to back. 

Yes, but when you look from the end up toward the light does the cloud look look grey or green? -Roy

Posted (edited)

@Ryan1988Does the water kinda look like this? If so then you are experiencing a Bacterial Bloom.  Bacterial Bloom is a rapid increase in bacteria and is completely harmless. It can be caused by overfeeding or adding too many fish at once. It can also be caused by not cleaning your filter media reguarly. Some negative things that could happen is a lack of Oxygen which could irritate fish if it gets to low. My advise is do some water changes to get that excess bacteria out if it is indeed a Bacterial Bloom.

image.jpeg

Edited by CoryWithAKatana

On 5/17/2024 at 11:37 AM, Ryan1988 said:

@CoryWithAKatana from my experience you can't water change your way out of a bacterial bloom. In fact it makes it worse because you are adding back in nutrients. You either let it run its course or us a UV filter to remove the heterotopic bacteria. 

Oh my bad, I was kinda referring to Distilled water being added back. Therefore adding back no nutrients... I research this stuff before responding so I must have missed that, sorry for the misinformation.

On 5/17/2024 at 8:37 AM, Ryan1988 said:

@Seattle_Aquarist The clouds look grey.

@CoryWithAKatana from my experience you can't water change your way out of a bacterial bloom. In fact it makes it worse because you are adding back in nutrients. You either let it run its course or us a UV filter to remove the heterotopic bacteria. 

Hi @Ryan1988

That would be a bacteria bloom.  Assuming it was clear in the past and no dead fish, and not overfeeding leaving uneaten food hidden somewhere, then possibly a major cleaning, gravel vac, or moved a lot of plants around?  Also some medications will cause the kill off of beneficial bacteria and cause what you are seeing.  The bacteria bloom needs food so look for something.  Have you checked your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels?

Actually a water change may improve the situation since the fresh water will have no nutrients that the bacteria need to feed upon and may reduce whatever is in you water that they are consuming.  I've only had aquariums for 60+ years and sharing what I have learned.  -Roy

• Like 2

@Seattle_Aquarist Yeah, thats what i've been thinking as well but wanted to make sure. 1 week ago I did do a anti biotic treatment on the tank for new fish but i was under the impression it wouldn't hurt beneficial bacteria. (maracyn). As for what changes, I thought that tap water had nutrients in it that bacteria could feed on therefore changing water doesn't do anything?

On 5/17/2024 at 8:57 AM, Ryan1988 said:

@Seattle_Aquarist Yeah, thats what i've been thinking as well but wanted to make sure. 1 week ago I did do a anti biotic treatment on the tank for new fish but i was under the impression it wouldn't hurt beneficial bacteria. (maracyn). As for what changes, I thought that tap water had nutrients in it that bacteria could feed on therefore changing water doesn't do anything?

Hi @Ryan1988

Maracyn is the likely culprit, an anti-bacterial med cannot differentiate between 'good' and 'bad' bacteria it just kills bacteria.  Bacteria breakdown organic material so the 'nutrients' in fresh water calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, etc will not give them more food.  Water changes will just reduce the concentration of bacteria in your tank and reduce the cloudiness.  You might also try a cycle starter additive to get the BB going again or 'seed' some bacteria from the filter material from another tank.  Hope this helps! -Roy

• Like 2

On 5/17/2024 at 11:37 AM, Ryan1988 said:

from my experience you can't water change your way out of a bacterial bloom. In fact it makes it worse because you are adding back in nutrients. You either let it run its course or us a UV filter to remove the heterotopic bacteria. 

I sometimes get a bacterial bloom when treating quarantine trio meds.  I woke up one morning and when I first looked at the tank I thought it was frosted over it was so extreme.

I have cleared it up crystal clear within 24 hours by transferring a spare well cycled sponge filter from another tank.