How to install a airstone

Posted (edited)

Hi everybody. Here with another topic! First off, I want to say, I know there is instructions with the air pump, but I basically had 2 main Qs. 

1. How to clean a new airstone? 
2. A detailed Q I will go over below. 

Detailed version of 1, I read you soak a new airstone in bleach or something? I am I wrong? 
Maybe I am. But how do I clean it to sum it up. Edit: ok I am wrong, it says soak it on water. Whoops 😬  

Now for the second question. There is this black T shaped thing that I will show a picture down below. But the instructions say nothing of it. I will also post a picture of the instructions if needed.  

Now, the pump is a tetra pump that’s for 10-30 gallons, my airstones are just some good high star review airstones. Again I have pictures of all these things. And the tubing is some standard 8ft long tubing. The check valve comes with the pump btw. 

Could anyone help me with these Qs? Thanks a ton.

Pictures down below. 

4DE79037-FAAA-498A-B4DB-252EEACADF72.jpeg

AF8CCB8E-FFBC-43CB-80DA-A97D74559F30.jpeg

D4352DF9-AB37-4A40-9767-CDAE5F211F30.jpeg

E77E7F4F-9910-4ED3-9053-1C899A02A7F3.jpeg

7DE51506-477D-4294-860A-32EA2411B2CA.jpeg

Right here. That top piece. I know wha it is, it’s the  thing were it adjusts the amount of bubbles right?Idk😉FE8DCBE7-1348-4B8F-8FD4-DA8B6E9E8E0F.jpeg.3fdd51ce6b5d137ea2e10c3c239a3304.jpeg

F23899FF-F142-4491-8C97-AF6FA69A32A0.jpeg

Edited by Whitecloud09

Posted (edited)

Don’t overthink it. Rinse the air stone in water and hook it to the tubing. Hook the tubing to the pump. If you need to use the check valve (if the pump will below your tank you should use it) simply cut the tubing and hook both ends up. 

The “T” piece is kind of hard to see in the plastic, but it looks like a control valve where you could turn the air volume up or down. 

Don’t overthink it. You got it!

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1. Correct, just rinse in water. 

2. T shape is control valve as you guessed. Doesn't matter which way you flip it.

3. The check valve IS directional! If there is no arrow showing air flow direction, blow into both sides. The "easy" side goes towards the pump. 

4. Order of install is important. Control valve goes after pump (say 6" away), then check valve as close to the water level as possible being a nuisance. This was if the pump goes off, it will siphon minimal water if any at all.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 8:22 PM, Beach Cruiser said:

1. Correct, just rinse in water. 

2. T shape is control valve as you guessed. Doesn't matter which way you flip it.

3. The check valve IS directional! If there is no arrow showing air flow direction, blow into both sides. The "easy" side goes towards the pump. 

4. Order of install is important. Control valve goes after pump (say 6" away), then check valve as close to the water level as possible being a nuisance. This was if the pump goes off, it will siphon minimal water if any at all.

Got it. Thanks! Yes,  the check valve has a arrow! Thanks!!!! 

On 5/14/2024 at 8:18 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Don’t overthink it. Rinse the air stone in water and hook it to the tubing. Hook the tubing to the pump. If you need to use the check valve (if the pump will below your tank you should use it) simply cut the tubing and hook both ends up. 

The “T” piece is kind of hard to see in the plastic, but it looks like a control valve where you could turn the air volume up or down. 

Don’t overthink it. You got it!

Yeah I sometimes do 😆. Just my personality guess lol. Thanks a ton, wow, so much easier than what google said. Google is not the greatest. Thanks for the info on the T piece. It says that the control valve should be 6” away from the pump not the water, idk why. But I will go with it right before the water line as I have heard that’s the better way. Maybe I miss read, maybe the control valve goes 6” away from the pump. 😉 thanks guys, I mean it! 

Edited by Whitecloud09
  • Like 2

On 5/14/2024 at 8:54 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Maybe I miss read, maybe the control valve goes 6” away from the pump

Anywhere in line is fine. After the first 6”  It’s basically a needle valve. The farther it goes in. The less air goes through. Almost falling out gets you the most air. Depending on how much air you want moving. Or how loud you want it

To double check the direction of the check valve, you could actually blow through it. Hook the hose from the pump to the side you can blow through. 

for cleaning  just rinse  as has been mentioned 

• Like 2