What to do when you want an auto-feeder on a tank of jumpy fish...

Posted (edited)

I recently acquired a lovely set of threadfins (Iriatherina werneri) from my local fish club auction and they need a little bulking up before they're ready for breeding. So, I thought to myself, they will need an auto-feeder! But, all of the community says they can be pretty jumpy, so how do we have an opening for food to fall from the auto-feeder without risking any fish escapees?

That's right! We build a little plastic garage to go over the top of the feeder and block the hole! 

A few quick measurements, some extra twinwall polycarbonate leftover from making tank lids, and some hot glue is all you need to make your own!

I assume this would work exactly the same with a Co-op brand feeder. They weren't available when I was in the market a while back, so I settled for Amazon.

I'm interested to see if there's any issues with trapped humidity affecting the food in the drum and to see if there is any algae growth in there. I guess I'll have to wait and see!

UPDATE: Immediately upon installation I could see the humidity clouding the inside of the poly sheeting, I drilled a fair amount of ventilation holes in there and I'm going to give it a few days and see if it clears up of not. 

FURTHER UPDATE: Vent holes were NOT enough. I just removed the lid pretty much. Looks to be doing good now 👍🏼

PXL_20240513_232601321.jpg

PXL_20240513_232613089.jpg

PXL_20240513_232630134.jpg

PXL_20240514_191229570.jpg

PXL_20240514_191215296.jpg

PXL_20240514_191158332.jpg

PXL_20240519_222910934.jpg

PXL_20240519_222948784.jpg

PXL_20240519_223027847.jpg

Edited by HansE
2nd project update
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

Nice use of polycarbonate! If your fish jump out they will hopefully bounce off and right back into the tank, great idea. Hopefully the humidity isn’t an issue. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 4:41 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

But this is much fancier!😂

I admit, it is a bit OVERLY-complicated 😳

Edited by HansE
Streamlining, trimming the fat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You could cover the hole with net that's big enough for the food to fall through, but small enough that the fish won't get through.  As mentioned above, the humidity might cause an issue for the food, but you could probably avoid that a bit by only putting a small amount in.  But if you're wanting to load it up for a month that might not work well.

Could also vent your little box and help alleviate that.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...