Shrimp Genetics Experiments

GoofyGarra

Right now I have a 1.8 gallon tank that is sitting pretty useless.

I was thinking that a 1.8gallon tank with an oversized matten filter could be great for shrimps, which i have a ton of right now. So i plan on using the tank to conduct some shrimp genetics experiments (When i cross x color with y color, what color(s) are the offspring). i've removed all the shrimp that were in the tank but i'm waiting a day or two before adding plants and my breeder shrimp just to make sure all unwanted shrimp (Genetic contaminants) are out of the tank

IMG_0797.JPG.8f0c1b7944906ab55b8a042f0ef40046.JPG

My first cross was a snowball shrimp with a red shrimp and all the offspring are red, so i can guess the punnet square would look like shown below. Their offspring are one of the groups i want to use in the new shrimp testing tank by my basic punnet square genetics, crossbreeding the offspring should give me 1 or 2 more snowball shrimps, which i could then breed with orange shrimps and so on. Just a fun little nerd-project i'm doing that i wanted to share.

Screenshot_2024-05-13_20-01-05.png.c2bc8529a9c99c1f834d1cbdd9e3f8f7.png

• Like 3

On 5/13/2024 at 9:11 PM, AdamS said:

Do you have a particular goal in mind or just documenting your findings to find out all the options?

right now I am just messing around and documenting my findings

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Rube_Goldfish image is not loading

Just a small update on this project, the pair is now at sexual maturity and their siblings have eggs now. My issue is the female has gotten herself stuck behind the matten filter and I need to reunite her with the male.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2024 at 5:32 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

I've heard so many competing claims about "skittles" tanks so I'll be interested in following here. Thanks!

Thanks for reminding me. I should go move the female shrimp out from behind the filter.

• Like 1