Disappointing Air Volume

I'm using an Aquarium Coop (AC) Sponge Filter with an AC air collar, with AC air tubing, AC check valve, and an AC air pump set on high. The tubing is only about 3 ft long. I just cleaned out the air collar which improved air flow, but this is all the air flow I'm getting. Is this normal? Is this the best it can do?

image.png

• Administrators

I'd say that air flow is about right. You'll get a bit more without a check valve. Theres a balance between the power usage and the battery back up. More air = less time it lasts. If you're wanting to increase flow, you'd use the other parts to maximize the uplift. This will amplify the air being used to move more water as it gains momentum as it rises and is controlled in the tube.

Posted (edited)

I so love the Easy Flow kit.  I retrofitted one to a medium sized Lee’s Triple flow box filter and find the performance of it nothing short of amazing!  Easily 4 times the flow as using the stock air stone and parts…

by all means play with the other parts to see what a difference it makes.

I was skeptical when I first heard about the Easy Flow kit, but I have been converted,

Edited by Pepere
  • Like 2

On 5/13/2024 at 6:33 PM, Cory said:

I'd say that air flow is about right. You'll get a bit more without a check valve. Theres a balance between the power usage and the battery back up. More air = less time it lasts. If you're wanting to increase flow, you'd use the other parts to maximize the uplift. This will amplify the air being used to move more water as it gains momentum as it rises and is controlled in the tube.

Cory himself responded to my question! This made my day! Thanks!

I have 2 medium sponges with the 2 outlet air pump from co-op I have pretty good flow in my 80 gallon tank.  I have had them for 3 months now or so.  They are the new style filters with the curved outlets.