Shrimp (yellow back) Tank Disease

Alec

20240512_135618.jpg.275404cf098f33470f227c1a98d34387.jpgTemperature is at 76F. 10 gallon shrimp tank with yellow back shrimp and 5 pygmy corydoras. 

My last batch of shrimp all seeming had died within 3 days. Some of the shrimp, had a white fuzzy material on the top of their head. Similar to the picture below (this is not my photo). 

Screenshot_20240512_150354_Chrome.jpg.2ed4c53802d4ae9f772ef960d3343307.jpg

I have since added some new shrimp and it seems that many of them have also died. I acclimated them for nearly 2 hours. Any ideas as to why I am having die off? 

I was told that my water parameters are fine. Could the disease still be in the water? Any tips. 

• Administrators

Do you have a quarantine tank without plants where you can run some salt? Thats what I would try next if I was having this problem.

On 5/12/2024 at 3:17 PM, Cory said:

Do you have a quarantine tank without plants where you can run some salt? Thats what I would try next if I was having this problem.

I have one j can set up. I might try that with the next batch of shrimp I get. Do the shrimp need a lower salinity than typical fish in salt quarantine? 

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2024 at 3:28 PM, Alec said:

I have one j can set up. I might try that with the next batch of shrimp I get. Do the shrimp need a lower salinity than typical fish in salt quarantine? 

I searched it up and it seems that you use 1 tsp of aquarium salt (not table salt) to 1 cup of clean aquarium water for 30 seconds to 1 minute. You might need to repeat it a couple of times to get rid of it. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2024 at 11:30 AM, Shrimpee said:

I searched it up and it seems that you use 1 tsp of aquarium salt (not table salt) to 1 cup of clean aquarium water for 30 seconds to 1 minute. You might need to repeat it a couple of times to get rid of it. 

But it could be lingering in the tank so try doing what this guy did