Glo Danio losing its color

Posted (edited)

My last remaining Glo Danio has gone pale in the last month. I had a female that passed last month. They were two of the original fish I purchased when I started my first planted tank two years ago. I had a small group of glo danios and glo tetras.  I have one Danio and one Tetra left from that group. Is the loss of color a sign that he's sick, or is it a direct effect of losing the female he had shared the tank with for two years? He was bright pink up until a few weeks ago. 

B7659D2C-9074-455D-A765-716F0994EA94.jpeg

599D49FD-94B5-4514-8863-D5447DB2D7FB.jpeg

Edited by Scaperoot
Spelling
  • Sad 1

Hmm… what did your other one pass away from? I wonder if there’s a health risk connection.

I marked several things on your photos to consider…

IMG_8590.jpeg.260f69a7ce7f10bc11e5095d2e3a549f.jpeg

Here are a lot of dead snails. How is your water quality? Just curious if you’ve measured that recently.

How are the other fish doing in that tank? Any deaths?

IMG_8591.jpeg.690e98c5cd0b53879e352b6e38ee9a8c.jpeg

That glofish looks like his right eye might be white? Hard to see clearly.

Those tiny bubbles in the duckweed… do you have Anabantids in there? Or is there a chemistry experiment going on that’s not keeping your fish healthy?

(I know that’s happened to me before)

Hope this helps. I’d suggest testing your water parameters, and watching all your fish carefully. Changing 25% of the water, and adding an air-stone has always been helpful for me when nothing else stands out.

On 5/10/2024 at 4:35 PM, Fish Folk said:

Hmm… what did your other one pass away from? I wonder if there’s a health risk connection.

I marked several things on your photos to consider…

IMG_8590.jpeg.260f69a7ce7f10bc11e5095d2e3a549f.jpeg

Here are a lot of dead snails. How is your water quality? Just curious if you’ve measured that recently.

How are the other fish doing in that tank? Any deaths?

IMG_8591.jpeg.690e98c5cd0b53879e352b6e38ee9a8c.jpeg

That glofish looks like his right eye might be white? Hard to see clearly.

Those tiny bubbles in the duckweed… do you have Anabantids in there? Or is there a chemistry experiment going on that’s not keeping your fish healthy?

(I know that’s happened to me before)

Hope this helps. I’d suggest testing your water parameters, and watching all your fish carefully. Changing 25% of the water, and adding an air-stone has always been helpful for me when nothing else stands out.

I tested the water and the nitrates were sky high (80-100 ppm). Ammonia was .50 ppm. I'm doing a 50% water change.  The snail shells are what's left after my 3!murder bean pea puffers got through with them. The Danio lost an eye at some point last year. I've had no deaths in this tank in about 6-8 months. It's stocked with cherry barbs, white clouds, black mollies, endlers, and various Corys. 

• Like 1