Fluval 407 or fx2 for nano fish

I'm wondering if I would be able to reduce the flow on an fx2 for a few months in my 75 gallon. It's a community tank with most fish about chili rasbora size or slightly larger.

A store employee warned me that reducing flow too much would damage the motor over time, so I decided to hold off on purchasing one. I do have med/high light and co2, and plan on having extremely heavy vegetation in this tank within 3-6 months. 

Would the Fluval 407 be a better option? I have a 207 on a smaller tank that I've been extremely happy with. 

I would imagine a spray bar across the back of the tank  under the water surface aimed at the front of the tank would tame the flow for nano fish nicely without having to throttle it down.  

diffusing the flow rather than throttling it.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I have an fx2 that has been on restricted flow for 2 years. No problems yet…. Fx2 is capable of putting out a ton of flow in a 75. Smaller amount of flow may be better. It was kind of blowing my angels around. But, really love the build of the fx.

It’s been reduced by about half. If reducing, use the outflow valve to decrease flow. Reducing the intake side could cause impeller issues 

• Thanks 1

On 5/4/2024 at 2:14 PM, Pepere said:

I would imagine a spray bar across the back of the tank  under the water surface aimed at the front of the tank would tame the flow for nano fish nicely without having to throttle it down

I actually never thought of that. It should work really well. I just have no idea how to tap into the outlet hose to do that.

On 5/4/2024 at 11:14 AM, Pepere said:

I would imagine a spray bar across the back of the tank  under the water surface aimed at the front of the tank would tame the flow for nano fish nicely without having to throttle it down.  

diffusing the flow rather than throttling it.

@Pepere I considered that, but wouldn't the input still be an issue? I don't have a ton of experience with canister filters. I was worried  the smaller fish might get stuck to the intake. I do plan on having it covered with course sponge. 

@Pepere I guess another question other than the intake possibly be an issue (if I go with the fx2 and spray bar) is if the 407 would be powerful enough to keep the substrate clean once all the plants grow in. I feed heavily and tend to go for a jungle look with plants, so there is always a ton of mulm after a couple of weeks. I like doing water changes, but hate vacuuming the gravel. 

On 5/4/2024 at 2:36 PM, Ogpulchra said:

but wouldn't the input still be an issue

Yes, the intake is an issue. The grate openings are about 1/4 inch between slots. Depending on the size of the fish you could easily lose some. Doesn’t appear to have a whole lot of suction power at the intake because the filter intake box is wide open and probably 2” x3”. Gives it plenty of area to suck from keeping the pressure down.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2024 at 11:44 AM, Tony s said:

Yes, the intake is an issue. The grate openings are about 1/4 inch between slots. Depending on the size of the fish you could easily lose some. Doesn’t appear to have a whole lot of suction power at the intake because the filter intake box is wide open and probably 2” x3”. Gives it plenty of area to suck from keeping the pressure down.

@Tony s So it sounds like the intake wouldn't be an issue if I cover it with a course sponge?

If you’re planning to breed your fish, I might try something else. Fry are easily going up the intake. I have breeding angels, not sure if they’re being eaten or being sucked up. They like to lay their eggs close to the intake. Or on it.

On 5/4/2024 at 2:47 PM, Ogpulchra said:

So it sounds like the intake wouldn't be an issue if I cover it with a course sponge

That would work fine. If you can find one big enough. I haven’t been able to yet, locally. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2024 at 11:48 AM, Tony s said:

If you’re planning to breed your fish, I might try something else. Fry are easily going up the intake. I have breeding angels, not sure if they’re being eaten or being sucked up. They like to lay their eggs close to the intake. Or on it.

That would work fine. If you can find one big enough. I haven’t been able to yet, locally. 

Good point. I think I'd be able to make a cover with that plastic crafting canvas and some course filter sponge. Thanks for mentioning how big the intake is. 

• Like 1

I can only speak of the 407 in my 75 gallon. I run my intake in the rear left corner and the output in the rear right with a spray bar. My spray bar is on the end spraying across the 4 foot right to left.  I have it pointing down at a 45 degree angle I'm not concerned with surface agitation If you are then point it up. The 407 has one valve that adjust flow of the in and out at the same time right now I have mine about half off and the motor is not warm. Later when my fish grow I will open it all the way up (one Oscar one Pleco) For surface agitation I run two 4 inch Hyger air disk and a Seachem tidal 75 also turned half way down. The 407 has a course sponge in the bottom tray with bio rings in the top three. The tidal 75 has a course sponge in the bottom with 3 inches of floss on top this is my polishing filter this way I don't have to break down the 407 to change floss. This setup turns my water over about 3 times per hour. When I crank it up I think I will get 4 to 5. You need to ask yourself how much bio load will I have and how many times do i want to turn over my water for my bio load.

About the intake on the 407 the strainer is 1-1/2 inches outside diameter it is round not like the fx the A CO-OP large sponge fits just right it is snug I think it is 1-1/4in inside diameter hole. The 407 also has a check valve in the intake strainer so you don't lose prime while doing service on the filter.

• Like 2

@Airborne 82nd I guess I should have specified what I want the canister filter to do. I don't plan on ever overstocking, but I hate gravel vacuuming. The only tank that never accumulates mulm is my 33g long with a Fluval 207.

I'd like to just do water changes on my 75 and never have to vacuum the substrate. This tank will be a jungle, and I want something powerful enough to keep the substrate clean and push nutrients and co2 to the plants.

That is why I point the output down to sweep my gravel. You could also use a wave maker at the bottom pushing towards the intake. This is what I'm trying next to fix a big dead spot. I'm always going to vac. Oscars are pigs but with the wave maker or two it will cut back on how often. Our setups are different but with the same goals

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/4/2024 at 6:44 PM, Airborne 82nd said:

That is why I point the output down to sweep my gravel. You could also use a wave maker at the bottom pushing towards the intake. This is what I'm trying next to fix a big dead spot. I'm always going to vac. Oscars are pigs but with the wave maker or two it will cut back on how often. Our setups are different but with the same goals

Gotcha. That's good advice. Thank you!

Fwiw, I run fluval 207 on my 29 gallon tanks with a spray bar on the back flowing across the top, down the front and back up.  I have 6-7 green emerald cories that stir stuff back up in to the water column with their movement allowing filter extra chances to get stuff.

I dont gravel vac.  I dont have visible mulm on the substrate, I dont have dead spots…

my tanks are fairly densely planted.

IMG_2579.jpeg.6e9fdf18875d07edbf8f9df9a2dddc0e.jpeg

• Like 3

On 5/5/2024 at 2:07 PM, Pepere said:

Fwiw, I run fluval 207 on my 29 gallon tanks with a spray bar on the back flowing across the top, down the front and back up.  I have 6-7 green emerald cories that stir stuff back up in to the water column with their movement allowing filter extra chances to get stuff.

I dont gravel vac.  I dont have visible mulm on the substrate, I dont have dead spots…

my tanks are fairly densely planted.

IMG_2579.jpeg.6e9fdf18875d07edbf8f9df9a2dddc0e.jpeg

That is one stunning tank! I actually have a 207 on a 33g long (48" long) and it keeps the tank spotless, even when I've had a ton of plants melt on me. I was leaning more towards the fx2 because it's roughly the same price as the 407 right now. I think I'll just save myself any hassle and go with the 407. I really appreciate your input. 

Here is a daughter plant I am growing in a non co2 injected 17 gallon fish bowl..

image.jpg.9dc5ea6afc07abc474d4ae0e16f104f8.jpg

It is growing pretty well for low tech.  This bowl is entirely air driven filtration, a modified ugf plate with an easy flow fit adapted to it and a medium sized Lee’s Triple flow box filter also with an easy flow kit.

the Easy Flow Kits give incredibly flow for air driven…. When I feed the fish you can see the flow transporting the food.

The box filter is there for mechanical filtration and with the flow it works incredibly well.  I use polyfill and it is full of brown gunk by the end of the week,,  No mulm on tank bottom with this setup either.  I used to use a turkey baster originally to help clean the substrate on water changes,,, since adding the Lees with easy flow, nothing gets washed up from the substrate when using the turkey baster…

• Like 1
  • Love 1